Author Topic: best slug gun?  (Read 2607 times)

Offline marinemagnum

• Trade Count: (0)
best slug gun?
« on: September 03, 2007, 12:22:11 PM »
If you had to pick one slug gun, what would it be

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: best slug gun?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 04:04:00 AM »
That's an easy one! That would be this one right here. It'll set you back about $250, and as accurate as a Tar-Hunt that will cost you around two grand.

20 ga H&R Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline dougk

• Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 06:22:27 AM »
That's an easy one! That would be this one right here. It'll set you back about $250, and as accurate as a Tar-Hunt that will cost you around two grand.

Busts, That's alot of gun for the money.
Doug

Offline tmccray45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 07:28:29 AM »
I'm going to agree with Busta.  I have the same Ultra 20 ga - the only difference is that mine is not the deluxe.   It is super accurate and no matter which slug I use, that darn thing will keep it in the 2" circle.  Price and performance - it's got it all.
"Work: The New Retirement"

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 07:45:36 AM »
Savage bolt action ! this is truly alot of gun for the money ! 3 shots with the working of the bolt , tight groups at 100 yds , and balanced ! all for around $425 -450 !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline nkhunter

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 02:05:31 PM »
Another vote for a Savage 210! I've had one for years, shot lightfields for many years then switched to partitian golds four years ago. It is a legitimate 200 yard gun. 2 3/4 " groups! Mine prefers the 3" version, but the 2.75" ones are a close second. I'm trying the SST's this year once it cools off. I tried the other day and wasn't too impressed with the accuracy, but it was around 80 degrees and I'm not too certain how that temp affects the sabot and rifling interaction. My buddy has one that loves the winchester platinums.
Matt
ps, We both use the leupold shotgun 2-7x32 scope, which you'll want to use with the horrible recoil of these supercharged slugs.

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 07:18:20 AM »
I have a Mossberg bolt action 12 gauge (model 695?)with a 2.5 Redfield on it that does 1.5" at 100 yards.  I don't think they make it anymore.  I've read a lot of exaggerated descriptions of bad triggers on these boards, but they are woefully inadequate to describe just how bad that Mossberg trigger truly is.  I even sent it back to Mossberg and if they improved it, it is not discernable to me. This gun would disprove the notion that one needs a decent trigger to be accurate. It has a detachable 2 shot magazine that is cantankerous and has to be loaded very carefully to work.  The safety is a LOUD click when taken off.  Still, it is a shooter, pretty pleasant to carry, and has never failed me.  I get the best groups with Federal-Barnes 3 inchers.  Now that I wrote all of this - I think I'm gonna sell it.
Having said that, I have to give my vote to the NEF/H&R guns.  I routinely get holes touching groups at 100 yards and the triggers are just great.  They are safe, dependable, and accurate way beyond what I would expect for such a reasonable price.  You can cock them silently too.  And yes - they will shoot with the TarHunts.  I am gravitating to muzzleloaders for my deer hunting, so the single shot H&R/NEF slug guns are a "fast reload" for me. 
When I started hunting, most guys used a bird barrel and a foster type slug.  6" groups were good.  I think Ithaca 37's were the best of the smoothbore sluggers then.  Now the slug hunter has some awesome choices in guns and ammo.  I bet that Savage bolt gun is a good one also.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 07:22:33 AM »
savage slug gun - YEP !

Offline Huntsman1

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 05:44:20 PM »
I'm gonna have to say the Remington 870 with deer barrel, but thats only because I just bought one.
Later on I might pick up a fully rifled cantilever barrel?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 02:50:21 AM »
good luck with the 870 , i have had several found them good to 50 yards , the funny thing was one that had a screw in tube shot the best and did so with the short tube ( makes no sense ) , do yourself a favor , check out the tar hunt site they give good imfo on shooting a slug gun ! wish i had seen it when i started shooting slugs !

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 03:12:53 AM »
I've got an H&R 20 ga. Ultra Slug that I picked up used for $125.00.  It shoots better than I can hold.  The only problem I have is it is too heavy for the gauge, but is manageable.  However, I looked at a 12 gauge Ultra and cannot imagine toting that around unless I were stand hunting.  I recall reading an article last year in Sports Afield about the 20 ga. Remington 1100.  The writer was very happy with it's accuracy up to 200 yd. and favorably compared it to a .45-70 that can be used in shotgun-only areas.  I would like to see that article again, but can't find it anywhere.  If I were to find one, or even an 870 with a cantelever barrel, I might give it a try.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 03:29:52 AM »
I saw that article , after shooting the 20 ga and 12 ga 870 i had to wonder what great hunting trip he was given to write the article !
Tar Hunt makes the 870 into a fixed bbl slug gun , check it out on their site , don't think it will group that good !

Offline Paparock

Erased by Paparock
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 03:27:08 PM »
Erased by Paparock

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 03:59:38 PM »
I can't speak to what is the best slug gun but I can speak to 2 that I own. I purchased 2 very economical Mossberg Trophy combos. One in 20ga and on in 12ga. They both came with the rifled bbl and cantilever scope mount. In addition, they came with the shot gun bbl & screw in chokes. Each were about $290. I mounted a 1x4x33 Bushnells on them and I cannot beleive the accuracy. I kid you not, 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards shot after shot....amazing. It did take a bit of going through factory ammo to find the ones they like. But I can't complain at all and given the advancemments in slug killing power, its great.

So again, nothing about the best here, just some info on a very economical set up that works our great. I could not justify in my own mind spending alot on a slug gun and to get a shot gun out of it as well.....
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 04:09:25 PM »
Once upon a time I had an H&R 12ga. Ultra Slug Hunter.  It was a very accurate and reliable shotgun at a very reasonable price.  I was young and dumb and traded it in when I turned 21 for a Colt 45. 

Since then I bought a Savage 210F 12ga and it's a really nice shotgun too!  I still have the Savage but I don't use it hardly ever because 12ga slugs knock me around too much and are expensive.  Mine likes the 3" slugs better than the 2 3/4 slugs.

Either one of those guns would do you proud.  I would say the savage is a little more accurate but not by a whole lot.  It comes down to what feels better to you and your wallet.  You couldn't go wrong with either.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 08:43:51 AM »

20 ga H&R Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe

I agree wholeheartedly...But I own the 12GA model...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline usmc2111

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 02:54:01 PM »
I will have to go against the grain and say an 870 express magnum with 2.75 Win X slugs. Off a bench I can consistantly clover leaf 3 shots at a 100yds. But change brands of ammo and you can hang it up. Done me well 2 weeks ago and got an 8 point.

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 04:42:19 PM »
USH !
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 12:15:33 PM »
this year I am using a NEF Pardner, 20 ga. full choke barrel. With 2.75 Remington sluggers it shoots easily 2" at 75 yds. out of its plain barrel with no rifling.
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 02:02:33 AM »
That's better than alot of rifled slug guns can do , better buy a case of those slugs , if they shoot that good they will stop making them !

Offline Bruce A. Hering

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 10:48:26 AM »
Another one for the H&R 20ga heavy Bbl slug gun....  under (.975) 1" three shot group at 100 yds with Win Sup. Copper/lead.  Pics later
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Instructor
Game Preserve/Shooting Complex Mgt.
Southeastern Illinois College
Collegiate Shotgun Coach
2009 ACUI 3rd Place National Champions
NSCA Level III Instructor