Author Topic: hunter bolt ??  (Read 970 times)

Offline b44mag

• Trade Count: (17)
  • A Real Regular
hunter bolt ??
« on: September 03, 2007, 01:05:41 PM »
  i just picked up a hunter bolt made in 1999 the guy i got it from didn't know to much about it he did say the breach plug was stripped i don't know anything about this gun  i would like to know if its 209 or what will it handle 150 gr can i use loose powder in it where can i get a new breach plug is it worth fixing any info would be helpful thanks

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
Re: hunter bolt ??
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 01:34:21 PM »
www.cva.com  for info and help.  it is a magnum rifle and will handle 150 grains of PELLETS. 110 grains of triple 7/ blackpowder/pyrodex loose. As for the breechplug being stripped, i'd really take a look inside the barrel where the plug threads into the barrel and make sure that isnt stripped. Could probably get a replacement barrel from cva for cheap.

Offline ftw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 02:17:25 PM »
If the breechplug is stripped and the barrel is fine, a new brechplug should not be a problem.

For several years CVA sent both a 209 breechplug and a breechplug that took either #11 or Musket sized nipples. There should be a bunch of them out there somewhere or you can get one from CVA.

If the barrel is messed up, it would probably not be worth the expense to get a new barrel.

Good Luck!
Inside of every Old Man is a Kid saying "What the Heck Happened"

Frank

Offline b44mag

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 06:02:36 PM »
the barrel is fine the rest of the gun is around 90% very nice comfortable to shoulder have been looking but havent been able to find a breach plug anywhere on the computer so far but im still looking i have seen a few whole guns for sale for very cheap dose any 1 shoot this gun if so any help on loads or tips would be appreciated thanks a lot guys n girls for any info if it turns out to be junk ill hang her on the wall at camp :-\

Offline alsaqr

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 02:04:42 AM »
Cabela's sells those CVA breech plugs. 

Offline dmurphy317

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 03:47:30 AM »
Call CVA, they will probably send you a new BP free. If not they are only about $15 and can be bought from CVA or at Cabellas, Bass Pro, Sportsmans Warehouse, Dixie Gunworks, etc.

I can't imagine how one would strip the threads on one of these, you would really have to work at messing those threads up. Mine goes in all the way with just fingers with no sign of cross threading or binding as long as it has thread lube on it which keeps it from seizing after shooting. Make sure to inspect the internal threads of the barrel to ensure they are sound, you don't want any surprizes once you get the thing back together and start shooting.

Good luck and be safe.
David

It's better to shoot for the sky and come a bit short than to shoot for the ground and hit every time. After all, the ground is just a place to start, the sky's the limit.

Offline b44mag

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 04:23:57 AM »
thanks for all the help its the middle of the breach plug that is all macked up the threads that go into the barrel are fine i dont know if there is a nipple or what goes in there but its a nasty mess in the center of the breach plug im going to get on web n look around farther hope to shoot this gun any 1 know if they shoot good in general thanks again to all of you you are great ill check back in a lil while

Offline b44mag

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 05:35:52 AM »
i must be havin a mind fart because i cant find anything anywhere for the hunterbolt i looked getting really frustrated bun im going to try some more i just started black powder last year i think its great i enjoy shooting my muzzle loader it takes a lil more time but for some reason i enjoy it well going to go look some more

Offline dmurphy317

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 07:16:10 AM »
It sounds like you have the BP designed for the #11 and musket type caps. It is designed with a threaded hole in the center for either type of nipple. CVA should be able to send you a replacement for that. Or you could replace it with the 209 primer version that does not require a nipple. Here is a link to that BP from MidwayUSA. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=989900&t=11082005

CVA only has 2 or 3 different BP's for most of their inlines but not all companies list all the guns they work in. I have seen the 11/musket BP at Sportsmans Warehouse but it is the Winchester version (same thing with a different name on the package).

I have talked to CVA several times and recieved parts, including a breach plug, for no charge. I would talk to them first and see if they can send out a replacement in the mail. It only costs a phone call to find out.
David

It's better to shoot for the sky and come a bit short than to shoot for the ground and hit every time. After all, the ground is just a place to start, the sky's the limit.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 08:04:40 AM »
Go to the CVA forum and check out the Customer Service sticky, you can email Mark and get a quick answer, be sure to put Graybeard Outdoors in the subject line of the email.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/board,198.0.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline b44mag

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 06:18:05 PM »
 8)thanks alot i was havin a moment there im going to order the 1 from midway not to sure what to shoot out of this i have app fffg for my flintlock can i use it in this gun i know i will get some round pellets try them also but for range practice i would probably use loose if i can save the pellets for hunting read you should not use pistol bullets  if its 44 cal 240 gr sjsp  do you think it is good for deer i have some lying around thought i would get some sabots to fit them n give them a try my thoughts were you can kill a deer with a 44 mag pistol why not a muzzle loader kinda confused never shot 1 of these so well see what happens thanks again for the help

Offline dmurphy317

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 03:23:06 AM »
Any of the substitute powders or real black powder will work in the gun. In mine I find that the 45 cal bullets are more accurate but others have had good results from the 44 cal bullets. You won't know until you try them. Good luck.
David

Offline b44mag

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 05:26:36 AM »
hey guys having  a problem with email wont go through it wants me to change something im not to good with this thing so im still trying to get intouch with cva i tried to go through cvas web site same thing email wont go through have to get the boy to figure it out till then it will have to collect dust oh well ill go flinting cya thanks for the info guys it will help out in the long run

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 06:17:33 AM »
If the mail is being returned, it could be their ISP is down and not a problem on your end. You can also call CVA, (770)449-4687, ask for Mark.

Tim

Offline b44mag

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 07:40:58 AM »
thanks quick and every 1 else i called did not talk to mark the guy i did said its not a mag takes 100 of pellets or loose ff only he said if the gun was not set up as 209 i would have to get a adapter the other guy told me the bp was 12$ 5 to ship this guy said 33.95 7 to ship any 1 know how to tell if i need just bp or the whole kit i know its a bunch of ?s but i really dont have a clue about this kind of set up but bad things can happen pretty quick so i just want to be sure thanks for all the info

Offline dmurphy317

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 08:14:51 AM »
Here is a link to the CVA page that has the BP you need, it is the 1679 part number if it uses the caps instead of the 209.

http://www.cva.com/products/access_shoot.htm

Even with shipping it should not be over $20 based on the <$7 listed on the website.
David

Offline b44mag

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2007, 05:33:20 AM »
hey quick i called cva today talked to mark hes a great guy he took the time to explain what i needed hes sending me a blackpowder 101 dvd to get me started right with the inline he also told me the gun is  150 pellet 120 loose marks 1 of the good 1s hard to find people like that today thanks again for all the info

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2007, 05:48:34 AM »

Offline Keith Lewis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2007, 07:05:58 AM »
8)thanks alot i was havin a moment there im going to order the 1 from midway not to sure what to shoot out of this i have app fffg for my flintlock can i use it in this gun i know i will get some round pellets try them also but for range practice i would probably use loose if i can save the pellets for hunting read you should not use pistol bullets  if its 44 cal 240 gr sjsp  do you think it is good for deer i have some lying around thought i would get some sabots to fit them n give them a try my thoughts were you can kill a deer with a 44 mag pistol why not a muzzle loader kinda confused never shot 1 of these so well see what happens thanks again for the help

Depending on what primer you decide to go with you might consider using loose for hunting also unless you went with the 209. Some rifles have problems igniting the pellets which is why they introduced the 209 to begin with. I would hate to be hunting and find that the rifle will ignite loose but not the pellets that you decided to switch to. Loose is just as easy as pellets if you find small tubes to fill with measured loads. Cheaper too.

Offline cascadedad

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2007, 09:17:41 AM »
If I were you, I would call Mark back up and see if you can upgrade to the Electric ignition thingy.   ;D ;D ;D

Offline b44mag

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2007, 05:37:07 PM »
first thing i want to say mark is a hellofaguy he told me everything i needed to know sent me a bp tool  primmer tool om blackpowder 101 dvd i was in WV at camp all week  made a wrong turn came across sports shop stopped in they had the bp kit i needed ac 1671  so im set put it all together works fine put tcs gorilla mounts n rings put a 4x32 on it bought some 2f app and some 50/50 777  pellets  tcs 240 hp sabots rem 209 kleanbore  primers 295 hps 295 ats powerbelts called my buddy up to go shooting but the range is closed so as soon as i can find a good place to sit down and see what i got thanks again for the info guys hope it shoots good

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2007, 06:00:44 PM »
just a tip. Stay away from the remington kleanbores.They will foul up your bolt BIG TIME!
Use either:
Wichester w209
Winchester Triple 7 primers
CCI 209 shotshell primers.

I used the remington "klean"bores in my X-150 " bolt action" and they are dirty as hell and gum up my bolt action after only 3 shots and i either have to clean the bolt or just call it a day. Very nasty primers.

295 grain powerbelts with 90-100 grains of powder " triple 7 or pyrodex RS or P" will be excellent powder choices.  Dont over look the heavier 385 grain Hornady great plains conical either.