Author Topic: Overall favorite brand of ammo?  (Read 572 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Overall favorite brand of ammo?
« on: September 05, 2007, 05:35:16 AM »
All guns have a preference for different types and brands of ammo, I usually try different stuff to see what shoots best.  I have been a big fan of Sellier and Bellot, was into Winchester too, but Winchester brand has not been doing as well lately with several of my guns.  Remington has always been a second place brand with me, but did have good luck with some of their rimfire ammo this Summer.

Bought 3 new handguns this year including a pistol in .45 ACP, lots of testing.  Here is the big problem, .45 ACP is expensive.  I can't just keep spending $15.00-$17.00 a box to test fire it.  I have tried Sellier and Bellot in .45 ACP, did poorly, my Rock Island Model 1911 liked the Winchester, and Federal, Wolf was so-so,  have not tried anything else yet.

In general I like the CCI and Sellier and Bellot brands the best.  What have you guys found to be the best brand for all your guns in general over the years?

Thanks.

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Overall favorite brand of ammo?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 06:07:39 AM »
Winchester / Remington both seem OK !
offshore stuff OK for plinking not what i want to hunt with !
Federal is all i can get for 7x30 waters in a factory load rest of their line so/so !
i enjoy hand loading so that's what i shoot most now !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 06:08:16 AM »
In my 45acp, I use Federal Premium HydraShok 230 grain . It seems to do good for me. For all my other shooting practice, I use hand loads that I load myself.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 09:48:10 AM »
As you found already, there is no pat answer.  Firearms are very individualistic, handguns possibly more so than long guns.  Your search is one that we all have to go through.  My answer to the problem came many years ago- handloading.     

Offline 454Puma

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 10:44:42 AM »
My favorite ammo -my reloads have been that way for years!!! : 0  Cheap-totally reliable and accurate !
One shot , One Kill

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 02:19:53 PM »
Federals

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 11:36:57 PM »
like he said MY OWN!
My favorite ammo -my reloads have been that way for years!!! : 0  Cheap-totally reliable and accurate !
blue lives matter

Offline warrior1

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 01:40:43 AM »
you might look at gander mountain or bass pro they had some 250 packs that didn't seem too  expensive,but in the long run
reloads are the only way to go. dan
Dan Deluca aka "warrior1" has passed away.  Dan was a frequent poster here and on several other sites.  He passed away on 12/29/08 from a massive heart attack. RIP Dan.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 02:35:50 AM »
Remington
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~