Author Topic: Remington 7400 are any of them accurate ?  (Read 2764 times)

Offline Country Boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Remington 7400 are any of them accurate ?
« on: September 05, 2007, 07:55:05 AM »
  I've never had a any problems with the 7400 auto except getting one that is reasonably accurate. I now hunt wat a BAR but have owned MANY 7400's in the past. They just have the fit and feel that I like in a deer rifle. So about every two years I buy anotherone but I can't get any of them to shoot better than a 3 shot 2"-3"group.  Will any of them in o6 or .270 do better than this ? What is the secret ?

Offline NYHunter

• Avid Poster
Re: Remington 7400 are any of them accurate ?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 08:12:35 AM »
Try different bullet weights and different brands of ammo. That should help. Rem, Win, Federal, until you find what shoots best.
I guess you don't reload?  All my semi-autos shot well, some were more finicky than others, guess I was lucky.

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 12:19:45 PM »
Remington 7400 are any of them accurate ?

NO not really:'(

But they sure fun.  You can shoot great groups with a 7400 I had one that would shoot sub 2MOA, The problem was to get it to shoot that good you had to wait about 10 minutes between shots giving the rifle ample time to completely cool. Despite the wandering shots due to heat you could ALWAYS rely on where that first shot would go

If you like the way a 7400 feels try a 7600 pump, They're SCARY accurate and suffer from none of the 7400's accuracy problems

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 05:22:46 AM »
Yes, NY Hunter I do reload but I have never reloaded for a semi. I'm afraid I might ovewr load it, use the wromg powder, etc. I do have a small base 06 die. I saw a load once for my Bar that was 52/4064/150 grn for 2950  But I never tried it in my Bar. It that too much for a Remington 7400

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 03:44:08 PM »
 As long as you stick with loads listed as safe for an M1 GARAND your 7400 will live a long and happy life. But it will still throw shots as the barrel warms.

Offline NYHunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 01:57:38 AM »
Yes, NY Hunter I do reload but I have never reloaded for a semi. I'm afraid I might ovewr load it, use the wromg powder, etc. I do have a small base 06 die. I saw a load once for my Bar that was 52/4064/150 grn for 2950  But I never tried it in my Bar. It that too much for a Remington 7400

Shouldn't be a problem.  Start at 49 - 50 grn. of powder and slowly work up in 1/2 grn.  increments to be on the safe side. All my reloading was done for a 742, never had a 7400.  I was able to shoot max. loads of 4350/180 grn RN Hornady for 2800 fps with no problems and great groups.

Offline SD Handgunner

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 05:03:32 PM »
I recently acquired a slightly used Remington Model 7400 Weathermaster in .30-06. I mounted a factory refurbished 3x9x40mm Nikon Pro Staff Rifle Scope in Weaver Quad Lock 4x4 Scope Rings on the Weaver Base that was on the Rifle when I purchased it.

I have not had the opportunity to work up a handload for this rifle as yet, but did put a box of Federal Power Shok 150gr. PSP Ammo through it on Sunday. I was getting 1 1/2" 3 shot groups at 100 yards from the bench. In all of the groups I would have 2 shots almost touching to 1/2" apart, and the 3rd shot would open the group up.

This is not great, but in all honesty good enough for Whitetail Deer Hunting at reasonable range. Hopefully I can shrink the groups a little with handloads.

Larry
T/C Handguns, one good shot for your moment of truth !

Offline wi-deerhunter

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 06:26:42 PM »
I have one in Remington 750 in .308 win carbine. 1 and a half  3 shots group out at 100 yards. Very tight on 50 yard. I wasn't believe till get to target and was very shocked. So I guess that gun happen had to be very accurately.

Offline Old English

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 12:51:28 AM »
I have an older 7400 in 30-06. After removing the open sights and mounting a VX1 it shoots great but...... only Remington 165 core lokt. It won't shoot anything else I've tried in it. I still have 2 boxes and have yet to reload for it. I only shoot it at deer, so I'm guessing that I won't have to load for it this year. I took 2 deer with it last season, furthest was 150 yards, closest was 30. I prefer my 308 bolt action but the 7400 is plenty accurate enough to be a 250 yard deer rifle. I've never experienced it jamming either, maybe I'm just lucky?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 05:01:58 AM »
Never owned a 7400 but had a couple of 742s that would quite accurate and one that was fully MOA capable with factory ammo from Remington. I think my cousin still uses that one for hunting deer. But in reality a 2" group is adequate if not spectacular at the kinda ranges most folks use semiautos at.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline JimP.

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 08:49:12 AM »
I have a tip for you if you are not seeing the tighest groups with your rifle and want to see if it shoots better. Use sand bags to check for accuracy and place your left hand between the front sandbag and the rifle and try shooting a group, you will see that the group will be smaller. The two piece stock rifles shoot better when you hold it in your left hand on the sand bag versus the rifle forend resting on the sand bag. Try it, you might see a big difference...JimP. ;D

Offline The Gamemaster

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 10:42:04 AM »
I have a tip for you if you are not seeing the tighest groups with your rifle and want to see if it shoots better. Use sand bags to check for accuracy and place your left hand between the front sandbag and the rifle and try shooting a group, you will see that the group will be smaller. The two piece stock rifles shoot better when you hold it in your left hand on the sand bag versus the rifle forend resting on the sand bag. Try it, you might see a big difference...JimP. ;D

Actually, if you place your hand between the gun and the bag - it will change the point of aim.  What you are experiencing is that your bags or your table is not high enough.  There is not a lot of drop in the stock and some people use see thru mounts to compensate for that.

All guns will shoot better on the sand bags than on your hands.

A model 7400 will shoot accurately, you can shoot max loads in one.  Due to the fact that they are not a pre WW II model rifle and they do have a good quality metal in their recievers and barrels.

The M 1 Garand had a operating rod that did not like max loads and would break if you shot too hot a load in it.  The Model 7400 does not have a operating rod and does not suffer from the same malady's as a Garand.

I usually never give out reloading information - due to liabilities.  But I will tell you that in a 30 / 06 with a 150 Hornady PSP bullet and 55.5 - 58 GR Max load - IMR 4350, CCI Primers , you will get your best accuracy.

Forget about velocity and think about accuracy and you will find that a 7400 will work just as well as a BAR at ranges less than 200 yards.

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 09:03:06 AM »
Some I've shot were fairly accurate, mostly the longer-chambered varieties (.30-06 length)  but none can hold a candle to a BAR in accuracy, nor fit/finish either.

What's a more bothering issue with the Remington auto's, than accuracy specifics, however, is their apparent failure to hold zero, year to year.

I was rangemaster, at my gun club for 15 years, and for every one of those years the club conducted a well advertized "Public Sighting-in Day".

It was apparent, after a few such sessions, that the shooters having the most trouble zeroing new guns, and having to re-zero previously zeroed guns, were shooting a Remington 742 and/or 7400/Mod 4.
There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline menotomyhunter

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 06:36:23 PM »
I hunt deer with a Remington Model 742 Carbine in .30-06. The carbine has an 18.5-inch barrel. I have 2 loads that shoot very well off the bench with bull bags. The first is the 165 grain Remington Core-Lokt PSP over IMR-4895. It shoots into 1.5 inches at 100 yards. The second load is the Sierra 180 grain GameKing over Accurate AA2520. It shoots into 1.25 inches at 100 yards. Neither load is hot; they are moderate, 2600 fps and 2450 fps, respectively, and cycle the action reliably. Most of my hunting shots are inside 100 yards and I set my Burris scope at 3-power and leave it there. It goes from 1.75X - 5X. I load 1 round into the chamber and never load more than 3 rounds into the magazine. This is my formula for NO JAMS! My rifle also holds its zero very well from year to year.

Happy hunting,

mh

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 02:40:16 AM »
Country Boy - the load you have listed is below max in my older Lyman manual for that bullet/powder combo and should not be any problem at all in your Remmy.  4064 is also one of the accuracy powders for the 06 with the 150 gn slug and with 52.5 gns being the accuracy load giving you 2915'/sec.  Mikey.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 01:27:18 AM »
Country Boy - sorry, I forgot your original question and to answer it - yes, many turn out to be pretty darn acurate giving 1" or less at 100 yds. 

In case yours is not really grouping to your satisfaction you could try a couple of tricks that have worked for me before.  First, pull your fore-stock and look at the very back end of it where it fits into the housing/holder and butts against the frame - that should be perfectly flat and the edge should mate flat against the frame.  You may have to use some sand paper or a small file to 'square' the edge and remove built-up varnish or cutting marks, but it does help.  The second thing I would suggest is that when you replace the fore-stock you use a non-vibrating (plastic or fibrous material) type of a small lockwasher between the stock and the barrel stud so that you don't apply too much pressure to the barrel when you tighten down on the front stock.

Sorry - should have put all of this into the first response.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline The Gamemaster

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2007, 03:56:35 AM »
The reason why the 7400 will have one shot that is a flier is because when you put the first round into the chamber and drop the bolt on the round, it does not chamber it the same as when the gun automatically chambers the second round.

One way to get around this is to load the gun at camp the night before and shoot one round the day before season and leave the gun loaded in a safe place.  That way the second round will be on target.

You have to remember not to move the scope until you put a couple of rounds through your firearm.

Even the BAR had the same exact problem.

You also have to remember that a dirty barrel will shoot differently than a clean barrel.

Offline DeerMeadowFarm

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 10:09:00 AM »
The reason why the 7400 will have one shot that is a flier is because when you put the first round into the chamber and drop the bolt on the round, it does not chamber it the same as when the gun automatically chambers the second round.

One way to get around this is to load the gun at camp the night before and shoot one round the day before season and leave the gun loaded in a safe place.  That way the second round will be on target.

Huh? All we ever do is put the magazine in, load one in the chamber from the magazine, remove the magazine and load a fourth shell back in, re-install the magazine and you're good to go. I've never experienced a flyer based on your description (although I never insert a round into the chamber manually and then let the bolt close on it...) Any flyers I've had was due to my inaccurate shooting I am sure.
"Aim small, miss small"

Offline topknot

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 05:10:20 PM »

Country Boy - sorry, I forgot your original question and to answer it - yes, many turn out to be pretty darn acurate giving 1" or less at 100 yds. 

In case yours is not really grouping to your satisfaction you could try a couple of tricks that have worked for me before.  First, pull your fore-stock and look at the very back end of it where it fits into the housing/holder and butts against the frame - that should be perfectly flat and the edge should mate flat against the frame.  You may have to use some sand paper or a small file to 'square' the edge and remove built-up varnish or cutting marks, but it does help.  The second thing I would suggest is that when you replace the fore-stock you use a non-vibrating (plastic or fibrous material) type of a small lockwasher between the stock and the barrel stud so that you don't apply too much pressure to the barrel when you tighten down on the front stock.

Sorry - should have put all of this into the first response.  HTH.  Mikey.
Good advice Mikey.
In the past I had a couple of 7400s and a 742. They had very good accuracy. This year I picked up a 7400 .280 Carbine w/ synthetic stocks. I put on a Bushnell 3x9. First day started sighting in at 50 yrds, as the barrell heated it shot all over the place. I let it cool and it seemed OK. The next time went to the range. Target was at 100yrds. First 2 shots where 4" high 2" to the right. Dialed in the scope and the next 2 shots on the mark. all shots after that where climbing higher and to the left. Every thing was tight and nothing wrong with the scope. I've never had a gun shoot so bad, I was sick!
Then I read your reply to this post, and got to looking at the fore-arm. It was real tight at the front where it meets the bottom of the barrel. Used my pocket knife and some sand paper and cleaned the area. Put it back together, it was still tight. I kept working it until I could just slip a piece of paper between the fore-arm stock and the barrel.
Next day at 50yrds first 2 shots where low. dialed in the scope and all the rest where on the mark.
I realy like this gun, and now it is shooting great I think I'll keep it.
Thanks for your input Mikey
Topknot