Author Topic: Bought a Staghorn  (Read 678 times)

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
Bought a Staghorn
« on: September 05, 2007, 04:27:49 PM »
I bought a used cva staghorn over a week ago and it finally came in today after a 5 day UPS headache.
 So far i started out with 70 grains pyrodex p and a 410grain hornady great plains conical. Im using CCI #11 magnums for ignition. This staghorn doesnt have a QLA! The previous owner fired maybe between 15 to 20 shots before cleaning it and then selling it to me. I replaced the front sight due to the original being hard to see. Just used a junky plastic spare i had in my junk box and it worked out perfect! Rifle kicks like a mule due to it not having a recoil pad but i plan on buying a slip on limbsaver for it. Also has a 1:32 twist that just might be able to get by with a patched round ball. Ive shot it 6 times today and am ready for 100 yards tomorrow. Here is my 75 yard target from earlier today.
First shot i flinched badly on and it hit way high. Second shot i aimed low and of course, it hit low. #3 and #4 were my final 2 shots of the day and i learned how accurate the rifle is when i stop flinching and just take my time. Im really happy with how well this rifle is shooting. Most people who spends $400-700 on a muzzleloader cant even do this with a scoped muzzleloader.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Bought a Staghorn
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 05:31:15 PM »
I've got the .45 Magnum Staghorn which has a 1:28" twist, bought it new a few years ago from Basspro for $100 shipped, didn't like the front sight either, so I JB Welded a TC firesight on it, works very well with the Williams WGRS CVA rear sight. It's a basic inline, the first one I ever owned and is just as accurate as either of my TC Black Diamonds, shoots the same load as the .45 Super XR TC, 110gr FFF T7 and 295gr HP Powerbelt into 1½" with a scope, not quite as good with the peep, old eyes, ya know!!  ;D I don't care too much for the K.I.S.S. "safety", but it works!! It does have the QLA, but it's only about ¼" deep compared to the ½" or so on the BDs.

Good shootin!!

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline alsaqr

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Bought a Staghorn
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 05:13:14 AM »
My Staghorn has killed a lot of deer and dozens of wild hogs.  Currently it has a scope on it in Weaver mounts.  When i got the gun i hated the sorry plastic sights and put Remington rifle sights on it.  Had to cut down the Remington front ramp front sight and cut a new dovetail. 

A long time ago i was looking at an old wooden clock.  Finally bought it for the glass bottle of radium paint that was inside.   i painted radium paint on the Remington sights and made them super glow in the dark sights.  Hunted with it a couple of years that way and then scoped it.