Author Topic: Limbsaver Barrel De-Resonator  (Read 6190 times)

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
Limbsaver Barrel De-Resonator
« on: September 07, 2007, 05:43:41 PM »
Have any of you tried one of the Limbsaver Barrel De-Resonators?  It sounds like it might be a help on the Handi Rifle.  The few reviews all sounded good and it is not a bad price.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=593560&t=11082005
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Limbsaver Barrel De-Resonator
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 05:53:38 PM »
Do yourself a favor and buy the large size, the small one that they originally came out with is a bear to move once it's in place, using WD40 helps, but as big as most H&R barrels are, at least near the forend, the small is a PITA to move.

Tim

http://limbsaver.com/Products/Firearms/Barrel_De_Resonator.aspx

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,71599.msg439300.html#msg439300

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,87708.msg528937.html#msg528937
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 06:31:59 PM »
Thanks Tim, that was what I was looking for.  I am adding one to my wish list (actually next order).  I was aware of the 2 sizes and just grabbed the link to the first one.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 09:00:47 PM »
Eh man do yourself a favour and save your money. ???
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 11:10:14 PM »
I wouldn't have that ugly knot sticking on a barrel of mine if it would turn a 4 MOA gun into a 1/2 MOA gun but then that's me.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 12:40:17 AM »
I have done just about every thing you can think of to a gun at one time or another. A de-resonator is not one of them. I am sure they do help in some cases, but I just can not bring my self to put one on one of my guns. I will change loads, bullets, bedding, up pressure, no pressure, just about any thing, but not the blob. The thought of a big ball hanging on my barrel just makes me shudder...I just can not do it. :(
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline rbergum95

• Contributor
  • Theres no luck in lead unless it's flyin'.
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 01:23:41 AM »
i have one on my standard barrel .223. i put it on only after i had exhausted everythihng else. it did help. still wont shoot under .5 inch.

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 04:28:57 AM »
Yes..............

They are junk!

If you want to frustrate a Friend give him one for a gag gift  ;)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 06:47:02 AM »
Yes..............

They are junk!

Have what rifles & loads have you used them with to say they are junk?

I have used one...so have others and the results show they work...Ugly...yes...very...but beauty doesn't mean accuracy...now does it...and accuracy is the name of the game...As Quick found out...they won't normally make a 1" shooter into a 1/2" shooter...but they work as any other type of harmonics dampener work...and dampen movement of the barrel...This usually helps loads that aren't accurate to begin with...What they won't do is correct problems that the rifle has to start out with...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 03:48:51 PM »
I gotta go with graybeard on this one. If different loads or other accurizing techniques (bedding, barrel tensioning) don't work I'd trade it in for something else. Might theoretically be a sound idea but they are hideous looking.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 04:51:55 PM »
I have been seeing these things in catalogs for some time. I always wondered if they really worked or were they just a gimmic. I have to say though even if they do work I don't think I would like the looks of it on my rifle.   Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 05:16:15 PM »
FWIW, I've seen a few of them on rifles carried by hunters on outdoor shows, one of em even had it mounted mid point on the barrel, not near the forend. None that I've double checked had Sims or Limbsaver listed as a sponsor in the credits and they never mentioned the product or the company.

Tim

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 05:33:40 PM »
Simms is a BIG contributor to those hunting TV shows. In fact most of them I see mention Simms at some point in the show as a sponsor. You can bet the fellow using it was in some way sponsored by them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 05:40:49 PM »
Yeah, I wondered about that, even tho Sims isn't mentioned anywhere, just having it on their rifles may be enough to encourage some sales.

Tim

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 12:00:34 PM »
The instructions that I saw for it said place on the barrel near the forend.  Then shoot your group, then move the de-resonator an inch or two toward the end of the barrel and shoot another group.  Continue moving until you find the sweet spot.

As far as appearance is concerned, if it was a little larger I could hide behind it when varmint hunting  ;D

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 02:51:22 PM »
Yes..............

They are junk!

Have what rifles & loads have you used them with to say they are junk?

I have used one...so have others and the results show they work...Ugly...yes...very...but beauty doesn't mean accuracy...now does it...and accuracy is the name of the game...As Quick found out...they won't normally make a 1" shooter into a 1/2" shooter...but they work as any other type of harmonics dampener work...and dampen movement of the barrel...This usually helps loads that aren't accurate to begin with...What they won't do is correct problems that the rifle has to start out with...

Mac

I used them on two already accurate rifles by Handi standards for comparison.  1) A CZ 453 (set trigger) American 17hmr / Burris combo 2) A Tikka T3 Varmint 22-250 with a 6-24x40.  I didn't bother trying it on others after that as I found it was a waste of time & money.  In conclusion I feel if one wants harmonic adjustment they would be better off with a simple up pressure barrel tuner screw or similar.  I tried various positions with the rubber donut and tested it completely.  My groups got larger rather than smaller.

I tend to enjoy tinkering with such. The theory sounds good but, lets face it,  the product itself has little thought in complete design for such harmonic barrel gains.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 06:01:52 PM »
Send me $20.00 and I will send you a secret Chant you can say over your rifle while shaking a string of beads and teeth what will make it much more accurate than the chunk of rubber they are selling.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline BANG_OW

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 06:19:42 PM »
Kinda' reminds me of those voodoo magnet things you clamp around your fuel lines to "polarize" your gas molecules resulting in 250 MPG. It could be that if you believe, really believe, that it may induce some accuracy.
I'm sceptical, and will let others trot across the mine field before me.

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 05:08:06 AM »
i have heard that they worked and i am still thinking about one for my 700. who cares what it looks like as long as it works. why not use it for its intended purpose. if looks mattered then we would all be worried about the blackwalnut stocks and the high gloss finishes getting messed up so what diffrence does this make?
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline 6x6 elk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 05:16:49 AM »
A friend of mine is an outdoor writer and was sent one from simms to try out. It actually made his groups worse instead of better. It made his annual list of useless outdoor gimmicks of the year.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007, 07:21:41 AM »
i have good and thats the first bad. i guess it depends on the gun your using. i still hope to try one.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 07:37:56 AM »

I used them on two already accurate rifles by Handi standards for comparison.

My question to you is...WHY?...I think most of you guys are thinking..." Well...if it is already accurate...it should make it even more accurate..."...This isn't how barrel dampeners work...There is an old saying...that is usually very true..." Don't fix what ain't broke"...Why would you put one on a already good shooting rifle... is beyond me...

Why don't some of you that have good rifles with average accuracy try one...I sure as heck won't put one on a rifle that an excellent shooter to begin with...there is no need to IMHO...but even accurate guns have certain loads that might benefit from using it on...My Weatherby did improve  a-lot with a few different loads thru it...so...I guess I'll have to find a Handi with ho-hum accuracy to try it on...and see if it helps..

I don't agree with how the item is being portrayed on their site by their using generalities...they should state it in such a manner as to say it won't help in all cases...and can make things worse...but I guess they wouldn't sell many of them if they did that...

Mac

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2007, 07:50:59 AM »
I didn't realize that this was going to be such a hot topic when I posted the question.  But I do appreciate the feedback, and still think I'll try it.  But I am the type that bought a Sinclair computer  ::)   (Does that date me?)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2007, 08:11:04 AM »
I didn't realize that this was going to be such a hot topic when I posted the question.  But I do appreciate the feedback, and still think I'll try it.  But I am the type that bought a Sinclair computer  ::)   (Does that date me?)

Yup...

P.S.   I still have mine ;)

Mac

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2007, 10:56:59 AM »
well i guess it has to do with something like we try to stride in making our guns as accurate as possible. i still am going to try one.

Rick

Offline oleman

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2007, 11:29:40 AM »
  Hey guys please correct me if I am wrong, but I understand that a rifle barrel vibrates when fired. Everything that we do ( free float, bedding, bolt torque , etc. ) is to let the barrel vibrate the same way every time it is fired. Regardless of temp., humidity etc.. I fail to see how this rubber knot can help. This is just my humble opinion.

Oleman
   Baker, La.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2007, 12:14:25 PM »
i have thought about that. since its only $15 i am not to worried if it doesn't work.

Rick

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2007, 12:31:12 PM »
That's for sure, I've wasted more money on things that I got less out of, and it might work well on a troublesome rifle some day. ;)

Tim

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2007, 01:05:05 PM »
I got my Sinclair free by going to look at some swamp land sold it for $40 about 2 yrs ago to a guy that was doing a retro electronic thing in his basement. kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2007, 01:15:04 PM »

I used them on two already accurate rifles by Handi standards for comparison.

My question to you is...WHY?...I think most of you guys are thinking..." Well...if it is already accurate...it should make it even more accurate..."...This isn't how barrel dampeners work...
Mac

I disagree with that based on my basic understanding of barrel harmonics.  Note:  I did not say the rifles were perfect.  I doubt the harmonics were/are perfect.  If the product does change harmonics through barrel dampening  IMO it should show improvements on accurate guns that are not perfect as well as on a goat gun...........if it really works.  So.........."why not?"

These were both just run of the mill factory guns for the record, neither custom nor gunsmith accurized.  I can say with confidence that a professinal bench rest grade trigger job would likely improve groups on both guns.  They sell this gizmo with a simular "pitch" yet, my groups became worst.

BTW TO ALL OTHERS - here is the company "pitch" on this thing from their website.  Take a listen ...........it's deep so get your hip boots ready. 

http://www.limbsaver.com/Products/Firearms/Barrel_De_Resonator.aspx

Oh well to "each their own"  ;) :D