Author Topic: Limbsaver Barrel De-Resonator  (Read 6183 times)

Offline .308 Win.

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Limbsaver Barrel De-Resonator
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2007, 10:13:54 AM »
  I put one on a Winchester Model 70 and shot it out back.  Really no difference at all with or without.  In addition to not being a useful tool, it's butt ugly.  Some of us like to look at our guns as more than just a simple tool.  I like to look at mine as a work of art that is much more functional and part of who I am than a portrait of some exploded paint cans on a canvas.  So, to me, how they look is as important as how well they work.  I'm sure you all have heard the expression that "life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun."  It's true.  Also, a nice piece of the gunmaker's art doesn't have to be glossy.  Matter of fact, most often it isn't in my case. No, I won't have one of these on anything I own.   

Offline cascadedad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2007, 10:21:52 AM »
But you tried it?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2007, 10:28:45 AM »

Besides, if mine works and I keep it on there, I'll just camo it so the coyotes won't be able to see the ugly thing anyway.

Seems most (not all mind you )of the guys yelling the loudest about them...haven't shot them on a Handi yet...or say they used it but made no difference...but as yet haven't said how they went about "testing " it...I don't think any one here..including my self say they make a Handi rifle look better...but they aren't that big of a distraction...and I have seen a lot worse looking Handi rifles with camo tape falling off...rusted and gouged stocks...really bad camo paint jobs...and fake m-16 stocks and hand guards on them of late..I just don't understand what the problem is...From some folks reactions...you would think putting one of these on is sacrilegious or something...good grief   ::)

You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline NONYA

« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2007, 10:29:00 AM »
Thats what he just said. ::) I dont think they hurt the looks of a handi much but they would sure ruin the look of a NICE looking rifle,unless of course you like the looks of a little toilet plunger pushed down over your rifle.Rifles are like vehicles,some of us will drive a rusted out ford pinto and never give a though to how it looks,others want a car (rifle) that looks as good as it shoots,it would have to make my rifle shoot flatter,faster and 100x more accurate before i would trade the plunger look for its POSSIBLE benefits.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2007, 10:33:48 AM »
I know a guy that got his Browning A bolt in 300mag under MOA using one.
It had a pretty thin barrel. Probably "whipped around" a lot when he shot.
Doubt they would do much on a heavy barrel.
Has anybody tried on on a 243 superlight?
Might be just the thing.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2007, 10:35:17 AM »

I was thinking the same thing...and had discussed this with Quick on a couple phone calls...I don't have a super light to see how it would do...

Mac

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2007, 10:39:32 AM »

I dont think they hurt the looks of a handi much but they would sure ruin the look of a NICE looking rifle,

To each his own Nonya..I personally think the Handi's look nice...Perhaps not as nice as some...but better than others...but...this is a personal perspective...nothing more..

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2007, 10:41:42 AM »
It's my understanding that you don't just put this on the barrel and slide it down until it's touching or close to touching the stock or forarm. What you are suppose to do is start it at one point on the barrel, take a few shots, and then move it to the next point, and then do the same. This will determine if there is a "sweet spot" for the LSBD.

Dave

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2007, 10:43:08 AM »
It's my understanding that you don't just put this on the barrel and slide it down until it's touching or close to touching the stock or forarm. What you are suppose to do is start it at one point on the barrel, take a few shots, and then move it to the next point, and then do the same. This will determine if there is a "sweet spot" for the LSBD.

Dave

Correct...but not touching the fore arm...just a little off of it..like how I have it on mine...

Mac

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2007, 10:54:16 AM »
Have I tried one? NO

Will I try one? NO.

I do understand the theory and don't even argue with it. If you have a decent barrel that is mechanically capable of delivering decent accuracy but it isn't then barrel harmonics "might" be at fault. Of course it also might not be. But if it is this is one way of changing barrel harmonics just as is the Browning/Winchester B.O.S.S. and that has been shown to work. So I don't argue that it can help on some rifles but will not on all as barrel harmonics is NOT the only reason why one isn't shooting and it will help ONLY if that's the reason it's not shooting.

But it's soooo BUTT UGLY I don't even CARE if it would help it ain't going on any of my guns to include the few handi's I own.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2007, 10:57:25 AM »
yes your suppose to shoot it until you find the sweet spot. if it works then use it. its your choice. just by saying its ugly and basing it off that then you have no argument. the thing is it will change from rifle to rifle because the harmonics are different from gun to gun. its like floating your barrel it may be good on some rifles. but on others it will mess its accuracy up. its like a experiment. that's just my 2cents worth
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2007, 10:59:19 AM »
and if it bothers you that much then don't buy it. there's no reason to argue over some little rubber thing that goes a gun
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline cascadedad

• Contributor
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2007, 11:16:52 AM »
there's no reason to argue over some little rubber thing that goes a gun

:o :o :o :o :o

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2007, 11:19:25 AM »
and if it bothers you that much then don't buy it. there's no reason to argue over some little rubber thing that goes a gun

Amen to that. Do as your heart leads you. I am with Bill on this one. I think they do some good on some rifles, particularly the thin barreled ones, but I will not put one on mine. It does not mean that you should not put one on yours if you so desire, it is just me. :)
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2007, 11:47:40 AM »
As Mac said, I intend on trying it on the 243 Superlight with several different factory loads that I already have to see if it helps any, right now it shoots handloads very good, but none of the factory ammo was better than 2-2½moa, so if it helps any, it will be obvious.... if I don't run out of ammo first, I aint' buyin no more just to test it. :-\

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline NONYA

« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2007, 12:03:01 PM »
its so ugly Ill bet Rosie Odonell has adopted a few of them after they were "tryed out"

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2007, 12:17:55 PM »

I think I'd spend the money on more ammo and just practice.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2007, 12:20:43 PM »
and if it bothers it that much then don't bash it. we heard you the first time

Rick

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2007, 12:40:46 PM »

It may work...it may not..I don't know how it's going to work on a different rifle than what I shot mine on..If you don't want one..or don't like the looks of it..That's fine...but I don't let what other say detract me from trying something different..If I did...I wouldn't be shooting a Handi in the first place..

Mac

Offline cascadedad

• Contributor
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2007, 12:41:50 PM »
I think they're kinda cute.

Offline rbergum95

• Contributor
  • Theres no luck in lead unless it's flyin'.
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2007, 01:46:59 PM »
maybe we should requset a new forum for just limbsaver barrel deresonators. by the looks of this thread it may end up being the hottest forum on the site!!  just kidding.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2007, 02:15:50 PM »

I don't think it would go over any way... :D :D :D

On a side note..there are folks working on mechanical dampeners too...so...if you think this little rubber dough nut looks bad...try to imagine this..http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5907921.html...seems Ruger is getting into the act as well...

The harmonic dampener on the Target Rifle helps control the adverse effects of barrel vibration on accuracy. Its position is adjustable by rotating it along a set of grooves, allowing the rifle to be fine-tuned for a particular load.

http://www.gunsandhunting.com/rugermini14.html

Here's one on a rim fire...how about that...http://rimfireshooting.com/index.php?showtopic=1007

Maybe these guys should have come here and ask about what they are designing and using first to save them all the trouble...heck...after all...putting something ugly on a barrel never made them shoot any better right???

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Mac

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2007, 02:31:20 PM »
i would rather have the so called "plunger". now that thing looks like something from hollywood movie junk. i wouldn't want to know how much it weighs

Rick

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2007, 02:38:07 PM »
C'mon that one on the mini 14 looks 100 times better than that rubber blob.

Okay just saw the one on the rimfire, that one is hideous also.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2007, 02:43:55 PM »

Hmmm....

Let's see...a mechanical spring loaded thingy that has to have the barrel permanently altered...or a simple little rubber dough nut that you can take on and off and never know it was there...Hmmmm...I dunno...I so confused :D :D

Mac

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2007, 05:15:16 PM »
not to mention the price diffrence. i choose the blob. ohh yeah and the weight diffrence also

Rick

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2007, 01:18:07 AM »
Now here is where I would do some different experimentation. But, perhaps the gun owner has already tried\done this. If the Limbsaver is working to reduce groups when it's at that point of the barrel, then why not take either a chunk of the Limbsaver, or just rubber, or some other material, and place it in between the forarm and the barrel in "given" places.

Take the same methodology that Limbsaver uses and start close to the receiver, then move towards the end of the barrel. This will have an effect on barrel harmonics while having no effect on aesthetics of the gun.

Yeah, it will take some time to do this, plus some ammo, but if it works....you won't have Rosie O'Donnle hangin off your gun all the time either. ;D And if it doesn't work??? Well, then it doesn't work.

Dave

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2007, 01:29:07 AM »
i have tried that on my 700 and it didn't like it. it was 4inches and i took it out and it went back to 1inch. its strange how it affected it

Rick

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2007, 02:05:40 AM »
I think the only thing thats uglier on your gun than a rubber dog chew is those black ammo bands they wrap around the stocks.  ;D Did I say that... :o he didn't just say that did he? that's a joke sorry :D Kurt

I should note that I have not tried this thing

The only barrel that I ever had to deresinate was my happy pipe in the late 70's ;D
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline NONYA

« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2007, 02:58:55 AM »
ROFL!!!
MAybe you could line the whole barrel of a handi with these plungers then you might see a difference in harmonics.