Author Topic: Limbsaver Barrel De-Resonator  (Read 6192 times)

Offline Ireload2

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
Re: Limbsaver Barrel De-Resonator
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2007, 03:18:49 PM »
You can do a lot of things to stop harmonic vibration. I ran an engine lathe for a number of years. With a long skinny work piece some times the chatter was caused by the lack of rigidity of the part. You could often stop it by touching it with your hand. If the tool was chattering we would clamp a Vise-Grip pliers on it. The odd shape and mass of the Vise Grips would kill the chatter.  When boring a large bell or thimble shape valve body we would wrap it with a rubber tie down strap.  I guess what I am saying is you can take a piece of bicycle inner tube and wrap it around your barrel and lock it in place with a tie wrap or some big rubber bands and it might be just as effective..... and look just as good.... for free.

You could run a piece of black PVC pipe over the barrel and fill the gap with RTV.
You could give it a couple of wraps with rubber tape too.
There is an entire engineering field that cover this subject. Talk to anyone that designs helicopter related hardware.   

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2007, 08:43:46 PM »
 I tried one when they first hit the market.  Most expensive gimmick I've ever tried, not the initial cost of the unit, the cost of the ammunition we wasted trying it out. I bet we burned a total of 100 bucks field testing only to find any benefit was so minor that we finally gave it to a guys kids to play with.

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2007, 03:20:05 AM »
one of my friends had a 5inch rifle and it reduced it to a 3 1/2 inch. it may not work for me. it might.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline NONYA

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2007, 05:56:51 AM »
That ugly POS might make a decent dog toy,nothing more.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2007, 08:12:55 AM »

Here's a real simple thought for you guys who have never used one...Reserve your comments until you do...
That ugly POS might make a decent dog toy,nothing more.
This type of statement really has no bearing on wither they work or not...now does it..?

I will say...I will try mine again on some up coming range sessions and see how it fairs with my Handi's...Most folks have a hard time understanding these things ...especially in light of how they are advertising them...

Mac

You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2007, 10:28:12 AM »
all you have to do is find the sweet spot. you got to experiment
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline NONYA

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2007, 11:35:03 AM »
My hunting rifles are MOA capable before i take them afield,why would i strap some ugly ass rubber dog toy to the barrel to improve on that IF they worked?I see them used on the hunting shows they try to sell them on and they are on MOA capable firearms,whats the point?Not to mention the fact that they get in the way of a low mounted scope what happens when they get cold,constriction?POI change?

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2007, 12:00:22 PM »
like i said its got to be experimented with. if it will make a moa gun thats accurate and makes it sub moa then its worth it.

Rick

Offline cascadedad

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2007, 12:27:01 PM »
I'll probably try one at some point.  My HB Handi in 223 shoots a ho hum 1.25 consistently with factory ammo.  I gave it a trigger job and it is RTV bedded.  I don't reload yet, so maybe it can change the barrel harmonics to tune it, similar to working up a load.

May work, may not.  If not, no big loss.

I couldn't give a rip what it looks like, or what someone else thinks.  I would think others should probably have more important things to worry about than what my gun looks like.   ;)

Offline cascadedad

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2007, 12:30:02 PM »
Besides, most of the rifles we are talking about have an ugly azzed shooter behind them anyway, so what difference does something ugly on the barrel make.  Might take the attention off of you.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just kidding, that was a joke.  Really.   ;D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2007, 12:46:13 PM »
And a good one, as usual!! ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cascadedad

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2007, 12:53:01 PM »
 ;D

It's amazing what crazy things can stir up such emotion.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2007, 01:03:31 PM »
seriously. i want to get into  reloading so i can dial it in more but i am not currently. it may work. i am willing to try it. it isn't all to expensive,

Rick

Offline Ireload2

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2007, 03:50:18 PM »
>>>This type of statement really has no bearing on wither they work or not...now does it..?<<<

Sure makes a difference to me.  If I don't care for the concept or the looks I can find enough other fun things to keep me busy

Shooting fads I don't need.

Browning Boss
ultrahigh velocity
calibers smaller than .22
tupperware stocks
huge rifle scopes except on bench rest rifles
fluted barrels
stainless steel except for barrels
black rifles
barrels deresonators

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2007, 04:35:54 PM »
don't forget engraving and gold inlays like on show shotguns ;D

Rick

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2007, 07:46:05 PM »

I disagree with that based on my basic understanding of barrel harmonics.  Note:  I did not say the rifles were perfect.  I doubt the harmonics were/are perfect.  If the product does change harmonics through barrel dampening  IMO it should show improvements on accurate guns that are not perfect as well as on a goat gun...........if it really works.  So.........."why not?"

Then you don't know how barrel harmonics really effect accuracy...nor how dampeners effect accuracy of a rifle...If you change the harmonics on a accurate gun and take it outside the sweet spot...the accurate gun is no longer as accurate...My Weatherby was shooting ok...nothing to write home about...but was very consistent...It worked for me in the testing I did with it...It didn't give me 1 hole groups on every group...but did reduce my over all group size on a couple loads to sub moa...Like it or not...call it a fad or not...That's the way it is...

Nonya...

How many Handi rifles do you have that have low mounted scopes on them? BTW...it didn't interfere with my low mounted scope on my Weatherby..and no...I never shot it when it was below 20 degree F...so...it may change the POI...I honestly don't know if it will or not...Nobody here is saying to put them on an already accurate rifle...certainly not me...http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,125576.msg1098446718.html#msg1098446718 and the rifle in question it is going on isn't a bolt gun...it's a Handi...

Mac

Offline NONYA

« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2007, 11:57:35 PM »
I didnt realize that i had to be a handi(AHOLIC) to comment on the barrel plunger,I guess if I forced myself to deal with a $200 rifle that needed $600 in smith work to make it shoot on par with a $400 rifle i would be willing to try anything.

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2007, 01:57:47 AM »

I disagree with that based on my basic understanding of barrel harmonics.  Note:  I did not say the rifles were perfect.  I doubt the harmonics were/are perfect.  If the product does change harmonics through barrel dampening  IMO it should show improvements on accurate guns that are not perfect as well as on a goat gun...........if it really works.  So.........."why not?"

Then you don't know how barrel harmonics really effect accuracy...nor how dampeners effect accuracy of a rifle...If you change the harmonics on a accurate gun and take it outside the sweet spot...the accurate gun is no longer as accurate...My Weatherby was shooting ok...nothing to write home about...but was very consistent...It worked for me in the testing I did with it...It didn't give me 1 hole groups on every group...but did reduce my over all group size on a couple loads to sub moa...Like it or not...call it a fad or not...That's the way it is...

Please note:  I did not state the rifles tested were perfect to start with.  As noted they are just factory non smith-ed rifles,  accurate as compared to handi's,  bench rest, custom or accurized.............no.

So be it...................I guess "I don't know how barrel harmonics really effect accuracy then".     ::)

Enough of this thread for me........... :P

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2007, 02:47:13 AM »
de-resonator, harmonics.. alot of big words, thats gotta mean they work, with all that science in thier design. .. ah, um.. Nope.
 spending money where it should not be spent to get tight groups and sub-moa accuracy for a $250 rifle dont make alot of sense to me.
 i can shoot , and my handi's are good for 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards.. ( minute of deer ) is more then good enough to hunt with. thats good enough for yotes, fox, pigs anything i hunt even tree rats honestly.  if your rifle dont shoot well, pressure pads and bedding should work, if not, exchage it for a different barrel or complete gun.
a big rubber knob on the barrel isnt the way to do it.. show me some scientific data,  blind study tests, recorded barrel harmonic distortions before and after, anything that a rubber knob will effect the resonance of the barrel to make enough difference to matter. can you spend a meager $15 bucks to try it, just for kicks and a prayer, sure. but other then antidotal evidence, self induced belief and wishfull thinking, this thing does not belong on my rifles and wont.
my kid thinks there "cool" though, lol
just my .02 worth, glenn

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2007, 05:14:02 AM »
I didnt realize that i had to be a handi(AHOLIC) to comment on the barrel plunger,I guess if I forced myself to deal with a $200 rifle that needed $600 in smith work to make it shoot on par with a $400 rifle i would be willing to try anything.

You don't have to be a Handiholic...but the rifle in question is a Handi...and even when it is on a low mounted scoped bolt gun...it doesn't interfere...at least it didn't on mine..While some of the $300 Handi's do need some work to make them shoot good...The vast majority of them will shoot on par with most bolt guns..Their bedding problems are much easier to fix than most bolt guns too...But...like most bolt guns...they can have different loads that don't shoot good in them as well...

Bill....Apparently you don't know...other wise you would know if you change the position of the barrel whip..you change where the bullet is impacting on the target...and with some barrels and some loads..this can mean it can be accurate...or not...Not all barrels are the same...Barrel dampeners have been around for many years and in one shape or another...used with success...and failure...I sure as hell know they aren't going to work 100% of the time on 100% of the rifles out there...I am not that gullable to believe it...and I know for a fact it won't make all rifles sub moa shooters...so I totally disagree with how they are marketing them...Further more it has already been proven here...on Handis that they can make a good shooting Handi rifle a mediocre one with the same loads...What hasn't been done...so far as I know...is to take a mediocre grouping Handi and see if it improves it's accuracy by using it as directed...with a number of known  loads that other wise wouldn't shoot good from them...This will be a better test than just ruminating about wither they will...or won't...don't you think? 

Scibaer...If your happy with 1-1/2" groups...I'm happy for ya...There many people that are just like you happy with a M.O.D. rifle...but...many here want their rifles to be tack drivers and work very hard to improve them...

Mac

Offline NONYA

« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2007, 05:30:11 AM »
Thats funny i see thread after thread about new handis that wont shoot worth a crap and none about new $400 Rems,I guess i just missed al of em.BTW the rack here is full of $2oo handis.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2007, 05:42:01 AM »
Thats funny i see thread after thread about new handis that wont shoot worth a crap and none about new $400 Rems,I guess i just missed al of em.BTW the rack here is full of $2oo handis.

Maybe from your perspective this is so...but from mine..I see more issues with fore arm pressure and guys not getting all the oil out of them as the main culprit...Not to mention there are way more guys that post about these little rifles than any other type on this forum.. ;)

Mac

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2007, 10:30:39 AM »
you have a point, you might look outside and tim and the handiholics with torches if you keep saying stuff about the handis.  ;D i am going to get one and see ill post the results sometime after i get it and get to the range. it may be a few weeks though. it will change from rifle to rifle so something that works on my guns may not work on yours.

Rick

Offline rbergum95

• Contributor
  • Theres no luck in lead unless it's flyin'.
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2007, 02:52:56 PM »
every weekend at the range i see guys and their $400+ remfederchester rifles cry when i break out the $200 handi with the plunger on the end turn out cloverleaf after cloverleaf that will fit between any 3 shots they send downrange. everyone has their favorites and i would never presume to say my rifles are better than anyone elses. but if i can get the same or better performance for half the price i am all for it. i believe that with a little love and some hard work you can make most rifles shoot well, bolt, break, pump or semi-auto. if the little barrel plunger helps go for it and forget what anyone else says about its "looks".

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2007, 03:19:44 PM »
in my mind i don't see it as that ugly. i mean the blued and tupperware stocks are ugly but does that stop us from using them.. no. so why should we be afraid to try out this. its no diffrent then anything else thats new were sorta insecure about it.

Rick

Offline cascadedad

• Contributor
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2007, 05:42:44 AM »
Come on guys, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Most people, including myself, wonder why in the world my wife married me, go figure.  :P  ;D

Just remember, how boring would the world be if EVERYONE liked and drove a white Chevy Malibu?

Can't figure out GB's post from the first page though.  I guess he has the right to say whatever he likes, no matter how stupid.   ;D

Seriously.  Here is what I believe.  I could be 100% wrong, but that is the beauty of the internet, we can all have our opinion.
I think this gadget probably does change the barrel harmonics.  So, if a gun is not shooting well, because the harmonics are "off", it can be tuned by working up a load in that rifle, or by using some other method of changing the harmonics to bring them "in".  Some of us don't reload, so the reload option is not there for us.  Oh, we can also keep trying different factory loads, but that is really hit and miss.

In theory, IN MY MIND, the barrel thingy makes sense.  Again, there can be other things that are making the rifle shoot bad, and I seriously doubt that working up a load, or anything else will help that gun, besides fixing what THAT particular problem is.

Now, for a gun that is shooting very well, I would say that all the stars are lined up.  Everything is perfect and therefore don't mess with it.  But, if you use a different load, the groups might very well spread.  Therefore, again in MY MIND, this barrel thingy might very well work to bring the harmonics back "in".  Then of course there could be other factors with a different bullet, different whatever.

Just trying to put some of my thoughts down.

I have decided, I am going to try one on my HB Handi 223.  As I have said, it has had a trigger job and RTV bedded.  It shoots 1.25" 3-5 shot groups at 100 yards every time I shoot it.  It is VERY consistent from that standpoint.

When I try it, I'll report back.  Might even post a picture of the ugly thing!   ;D

FLAME ON!!!!!   ;D

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2007, 09:45:24 AM »
What's so hard to figure? I like asthetics and am not having an ugly lump of rubber protruding from the barrel of my guns regardless of the benefit it could have on accuracy. Ugly is ugly and I'm not having that ugly lump on any of my guns. I don't buy junk and have no trouble getting mine to shoot good groups as a rule and am not messing up the lines of a nice looking gun with that POS. What's so hard to understand about that?

To me STUPID is buying a beautiful rifle with nice neat lines and adding a silly rubber dog biscuit to the barrel.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2007, 09:53:57 AM »
What's so hard to figure? I like asthetics and am not having an ugly lump of rubber protruding from the barrel of my guns regardless of the benefit it could have on accuracy. Ugly is ugly and I'm not having that ugly lump on any of my guns. I don't buy junk and have no trouble getting mine to shoot good groups as a rule and am not messing up the lines of a nice looking gun with that POS. What's so hard to understand about that?

To me STUPID is buying a beautiful rifle with nice neat lines and adding a silly rubber dog biscuit to the barrel.

Yup X2.

If your gun needs this recycled goodyear to make it shoot better, then you really need to figure out why it's shooting bad to begin with. Float the barrel? Bed the action? Different OAL?

It would be like buying a custom corvette with 800 horsepower, and then strappin on a dead moose cow to the front. "Well, I did that 'cause every time I step on the gas the dang front end would jump off the ground".

Nice car....what's with the Moose?

Dave

Offline cascadedad

• Contributor
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2007, 10:00:35 AM »
Some people put an ugly hat on their head and think it makes em look better too..........I'm not saying yours is ugly, but some are!!!!   I'm not talking about Tim's either.  ;D

MOST people don't consider the Handi a beautiful rifle to begin with.  Some consider it beautiful for what it is, an inexpensive, simple rifle that does it's job, but not strictly on looks alone.

Besides, if mine works and I keep it on there, I'll just camo it so the coyotes won't be able to see the ugly thing anyway.

Offline cascadedad

• Contributor
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2007, 10:02:08 AM »
Dave, I don't reload.........yet.