Author Topic: lock and load hornaday sabots  (Read 541 times)

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
lock and load hornaday sabots
« on: September 08, 2007, 02:40:23 AM »
wouldn't these reduce the efficiently of powder burning? because the hole in the middle of the pyrodex triple seven was meant to spread  the spark of the primer though the powder. since they did this the spark lights up the first pellet and gets the others later and probably doesn't even get to the third? the little stick goes through that hole since i didn't mention it
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: lock and load hornaday sabots
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 04:50:43 AM »
I'm sure it may some, but it isn't a solid shaft. The shaft has three channels the full length, which would allow some flame to get down. It would be like a 3 pointed star with curved protrusions. I don't think they panned out like Hornady had hoped. For me, loose powder is hard to beat.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 06:01:20 AM »
ohh ok i didn't know that. yeah i haven't heard of anyone using them. i pefer the older sabots they made
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline K.K

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 06:38:06 AM »
I used them for two years. They shot wonderfully tight at 100 yards with 100 grains of 777 pellets. However, when I increased the charge to 150, the groups were doubling, and tripling in size. I need the 150 grains for my trip to Illinois where shots may be longer than home, so I switched loads. It may be that my rifle doesn't like that particular load, or may be the the sabot cannot stand up to the 150 grain charge.

The Lock-N-Load is a great idea, and the bullet performs very well. You may need to experiment to see what shoots best. Also, they are extremely convenient to carry extra loads afield with.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 11:00:32 AM »
it maybe. i like the speed loaders my self

Rick