Author Topic: Not bad for a Saturdays night work.  (Read 772 times)

Offline Eyes Of Death

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Dehogger
Not bad for a Saturdays night work.
« on: September 08, 2007, 07:37:24 PM »

Well hear we go off in to the evil black powder realm.  I better leave a trail of bread crumbs so I can find my way out.  That barrel is too small for the scale of the carriage but it will do tell I can find a bigger one. Then I will just make a smaller carriage to fit this one.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Not bad for a Saturdays night work.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 08:02:39 PM »
Ah yes, I like the way you think...good technique.  Welcome to the board, you have friends here.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 12:41:18 AM »
 Not bad at all!

Too bad you smashed all those aluminum cans in that 55 gal drum in the background though - Mortar ammo is a terrible thing to waste...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Eyes Of Death

• Dehogger
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 08:08:58 AM »
I’m seriously thinking of putting a copper crush ring in the breach plug. At the point where the barrel and breach plug met. Trying to keep out powder fouling. Was planning on an interference fit type smooth plug before the threads start. What do you guys think?
Turning down the breach is where I spent Sunday night.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 08:36:33 AM »
The last cannons I built 20 years ago all had screw breeches.  The breech plug was built just like a black powder rifle breech plug and were not interference for and did not have a copper ring.  I did have a set screw in the bottom to keep the plug from backing out, but I never saw any evidence of that happening.  I  haven't heard from the guys that got those cannons in more than ten years and they never reported any problem. Either with the plug coming loose or getting the breech plug to clean.  I built a spanner wrench to unscrew those breech plugs.

I would not go to that much trouble today.  Blind hole, period.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 10:34:59 AM »
I’m seriously thinking of putting a copper crush ring in the breach plug. At the point where the barrel and breach plug met. Trying to keep out powder fouling. Was planning on an interference fit type smooth plug before the threads start. What do you guys think?
Turning down the breach is where I spent Sunday night.

I'll post a picture of a cannon with a copper crush ring soon.

Note that you'll automatically loose half strength by threading the breech plug; that's in addition to the extra work in making it.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Eyes Of Death

• Dehogger
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 04:41:39 PM »
Well the barrel I have now has a hole all the way through it. So I have to go with a breach plug. Hears a pic of the plug in the lathe. Left to right, the first section is fore the threads 6tpi. Acme about 4in long the next is the interference fit 3in long. The plug will hold the powder chamber 1 ½ X 2 deep and the taper up to bore diameter and strait about an inch the same as bore diameter. With an interference fit this will be a permanent plug. I could add a cross pen fore extra masher.