Author Topic: A carriage from the great white north  (Read 2226 times)

Offline rifleshooter2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
A carriage from the great white north
« on: September 09, 2007, 01:45:56 PM »
Here is a cool carriage from Canada

Andy
Save Legionville

Offline lance

Re: A carriage from the great white north
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 02:20:53 PM »
that is COOL!!!  I'm always looking for something different to build,thanks for sharing.............
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 02:38:43 PM »
Snow carriage?

Any idea as to the size gun that would ride on a sled like this? I don't see any real towing hardware, so I'm guessing it's maneuvered by hand.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 02:58:02 PM »
Kewl..... I like it! Anyone up for a little "Rockin' Recoil" ?? :D

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline lance

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 03:27:02 PM »
ANDY, do you know if it's just for transport? i can't see it being fired on the snow unless it was really secured. for example: with snow on the ground, i can put 3 or 4 hundred pounds of fire wood on a plastic snow sled and pull it one handed, and that's with the cheap piece of "string" that comes with the sled.

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 04:26:16 PM »
do you know if it's just for transport?

CAUTION: SPECULATION ALERT!

It has an elevator screw. I wouldn't expect a sled built solely for transport to have a mechanism for aiming the barrel.

Most likely this was a lightweight, small bore gun. The rails don't look substantial enough to handle a heavy gun.

The sled may have been weighted down during fire.

Offline lance

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 04:39:47 PM »
do you know if it's just for transport?

It has an elevator screw. I wouldn't expect a sled built solely for transport to have a mechanism for aiming the barrel.

Most likely this was a lightweight, small bore gun. Maybe the size of a swivel gun. The sled may have been weighted down during fire.

i saw the screw on the main gun carriage. looks to me like the carriage could be un-bolted and set on wheels when it got where it was going. that's if they wanted it on wheels. also saw the scale on the bottom pic, looks eight feet to me, kinda big for a swivel gun. either way,  i bet a pack of dogs pulled it. i'm with TERRY C, all this is just SPECULATION on my part.

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 04:54:36 PM »
Lance, I edited my post slightly while you were posting.

As for the main carriage being detachable from the sled, that crossed my mind as well but after looking at it more carefully I don't think so. It's missing some internal structure and appears to rely on the sled frame for support. I don't believe that it can be easily removed.

I also noticed what appears to be rings on the side of the sled (at first I thought that these were bolts).

i bet a pack of dogs pulled it.

I'm thinkin' it was more likely reindeer, eight or so. ;D

Offline lance

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 05:05:34 PM »
TERRY C, all i know for sure is i really like it. i think i'll build a small version of it. I got to admit it would look great at Christmas time behind  my "wooden deers" made out of log sections with tree branches for antlers.

Offline rifleshooter2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 02:23:09 AM »
Here where I found the picture. http://www.cmhg.gc.ca/cmh/en/image_488.asp?page_id=535
Andy
Save Legionville

Offline MikeR C

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 02:19:15 PM »
Well, trunnions are usually about bore diameter and if the scale at the bottom is in feet, and the right most division is split into inches, it looks as though the bore would be about 2 inches or so and the entire thing would be about 8 feet long. Coupled with the fact that the runners turn up at the back as well as the front, I bet it was fired from that sled.
Seems like I've seen something like it in on of the online books on Artillery, but, i tore off the last page of my mental notebook years ago.
It would look good setting in the yard at Christmas tho...

Thx
MikeR C

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 02:34:38 PM »
Every time I look at this, I wonder why there is such a high arch on the truck/carriage. This is much more pronounced on this then anything else I've seen.

Offline lance

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 03:41:19 PM »
Every time I look at this, I wonder why there is such a high arch on the truck/carriage. This is much more pronounced on this then anything else I've seen.
INTOODEEP, i think ya are hitting on something!!! maybe the high arch has something to do with firing. maybe the sled does roll back and dig in the snow, to keep it from getting away?? maybe the high arch is for snow drifts?? maybe they packed snow behind it to fire it?? all i know is i really like it, and want to build one. i'm thinking it would be cool to switch a barrel from carriage to sled depending on the holiday season :) :) :) I guess the only way to know why the high arch, is to test fire one in the snow. look out it's a rocket sled ;D Christmas will be here for ya know it, get any snow in sin city?? anyway, i'm building one.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 05:03:24 PM »
Lance,

I was actually thinking of the arch on the truck/carriage. Not the shape of the sled. I have marked the photo below showing the area. However, maybe the reason for the high arch had something to do with snow.

As, for snow in Sin City.... Yeah, we get a dusting of that stuff in the valley every 4-5 years....  :D Terrible, I know.

Offline lance

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 05:14:04 PM »
INTOODEEP, i'm sorry just a misunderstanding of which arch, thanks for marking which one you were writing about. see i don't know, i'm kinda 50/50 thinking the main gun carriage might be un-bolted from the sled and set on wheels. that's why i like it so much, cause it's something different.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 05:22:48 PM »
Lance,

No need to feel sorry. I think I have come up with something. This was recreated by Museum Director Matt Switlik.

http://www.co.monroe.mi.us/monroe/default.aspx?PageId=492

Gotta love Google.

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 05:25:12 PM »
I think the arch is exaggerated because the lack of internal structure makes it unnecessary to have a a lot of thick wood there. Weight-saving measure.

also saw the scale on the bottom pic, looks eight feet to me, kinda big for a swivel gun.

You're right, it's a bit large for a swivel-sized gun (hence my edit).

I imported the drawing into my CAD program, enlarged it, set the program to match the scale as near as I could, and pulled a few approximate measurements:

Height from the bottom of the sled to the center of the trunnion = 28½"

Length of the cheek mounted on the sled = 40"

Distance from the center of the trunnion to the center of the elevator screw = 27½"

Distance between the inside of the trunnion caps, at the center of the trunnions = 7¾ - 8"

Trunnion diameter = 2¾ - 3"

(scaling up makes the lines too thick for accurate small measurements)

So whaddaya think? 3-pounder?

Offline lance

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 05:29:46 PM »
I'm thinking let's all build one......... TERRY C , INTOODEEP, you are both THE MAN!!!

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 05:43:12 PM »
You guys type too fast!!!

At least I was on the right track about the 3-pounder.

Lance, I saved the page with the drawing in CAD, so I can go back and get you more dimensions as you need them (assuming the drawing is drawn at or close to scale).

Intoodeep, to my eyes, those photos seem to confirm my opinion that the sled was not intended to come apart. I can't see that set of cheeks working on wheels, the proportions just don't look right.

Offline lance

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2007, 05:54:58 PM »
TERRY C, INTOODEEP, both you guys are great.........I just had another one of my strange twisted thoughts,bear with me. I guess it was fired on the sled as a fixed mount. and maybe when no snow was on the ground, they just loaded the whole thing on a wagon??

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2007, 05:57:31 PM »
Intoodeep, to my eyes, those photos seem to confirm my opinion that the sled was not intended to come apart. I can't see that set of cheeks working on wheels, the proportions are all wrong.

I concur. If, these cheeks were removed then they would have to be placed onto a separate axle with wheels (which, I think could be done).  But, it would seem to give this piece a very tall and narrow stance. Then by doing that you would defeat the ability to move it in snow. ;D

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2007, 07:14:57 PM »
I don't see anything in the picture to indicate the cararrige was removed rrom the sled.  From the limited caption on the website, I get the impression that this is the complete mount.  It wouldn't make any sense to take the carriage and gun off the sled as the whoile thing would then just sink in to the snow.

By the way no one has noted yet that the sled has a solid bottom.  Again a heavy cannon on a sled with runners would just sink into the snow.  I'm not faulting you guys for not understanding snow, living in the deep southern swamps and southwest deserts what could you possibley undertstand about snow.  ;D

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2007, 08:24:24 PM »
...living in the deep southern swamps and southwest deserts what could you possibly understand about snow?

It's white and cold.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2007, 04:09:33 AM »
It snows here.

It snowed last year, in fact. I was sitting on the Harley at a redlight and snowflakes started falling around me. Five minutes later it was over.

The last time it snowed enough to 'stick' was in the late '80s. We had snow about 3" deep for three days. Shut the town down.
(who has snow chains in the Okefenokee? ???)

Now then, if'n we can mount a VW motor and propeller on the back of this here sled,
we can make it into a...

.. airgunboat?

;D ;D ;D

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2007, 04:38:28 AM »
     A truly unique gun mount/carriage.  I could have used one of these when I lived in Vermont.  When you guys get one built, the gun mounted, and want to pull it through the deep stuff, and shoot her, let me know. I have lots of snow-shoe experience from my four years in Northfield, Vermont.  Does anyone here know that you can almost tell how cold it is outside by the pitch of the snow squeaks caused by walking on shallow, freshly fallen snow, with hard soled boots?  You really can!

It looks like a field artillery mount to me, designed to be used on the sled or toboggan as is.  Artillery transportation sleds in the past had a utilitarian look to them, like those which Henry Knox used to move all those cannon from Fort Ticonderoga, New York  to Dorchester Heights in Boston, Mass.

What a great woodworking project!

Regards,

Tracy and Mike

P.S.  Terry C.   How about a 100 horse power Lycoming with a six foot prop?  Very mobile artillery!  Hang on tight.  :o :o
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Cannonball

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2007, 05:10:10 PM »
I see alot of snow. I don't know how many feet a year but my hunting grounds are usually under 8 to 12 feet of it by February. I think I have a pretty good idea as to why it's so tall. The barrel would more than likely be painted black and that would warm up in the sun on mild days. While in motion, wind usually stirs up snow and it would melt on contact with the barrel. As more snow touches the wet spots it sticks. Eventually it builds up and the barrel turns all white. Obviously it'll cool off and freeze. because steel is porous, it sticks hard in really cold weather and is actually tough to get off without chiseling with a sharp edge. Any goes in the barrel and it gets real tricky getting it out. You have to warm the barrel, witch wasn't too hard when this happened to my shotgun (barrel touched the ground as I took it out of a warm car) but a cannon don't usually fit in the average snow shelter. A ramrod just gets wedged in there.

Offline lance

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2007, 02:47:08 PM »
been off line a few days, phone company upgrades......... i guess i'm lucky?? get a couple feet of that white stuff every winter in these Virginia mountains. one winter i'd like to visit Tropico's Pirate Resort, that's if i don't stop by Vegas " sin city " and lose my trip money..........always wanted to ride an AIR BOAT, but i don't know if Terry C could stand me for a whole winter ;D............ anyway, looks like it will be the Christmas after next before i can build one. work is so piled up, i had to turn down CW about making him some cabinets.......... but i will build the snow sled one day.

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2007, 06:11:31 PM »
Lance, I don't have an airboat.

I can take you for a ride on the Harley, but you'll have to ride bi... , uh, on the back seat.

Offline lance

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2007, 03:24:32 PM »
Lance, I don't have an airboat.

I can take you for a ride on the Harley, but you'll have to ride bi... , uh, on the back seat.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D, man i got tears in my eyes from laughing, that's funny!!!! I bet you have one of those cool shirts:" if you can read this the B!+(# fell off".......... anyway, if i get a big enough sled built i'll haul it down and we'll turn it into an airgunboat ;D

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2007, 02:15:30 PM »
 Hey Lance,

I know that you are diligently working on that sled with the naval truck mount ;D ;D  So, I  thought I would just dig this post up and give ya one more to project to add while you are at it.....  :D

I just came across this and said "Hey! this ones for Lance".  It looks like your shade of blue too....