Author Topic: 7 08 Handi is this Normal  (Read 709 times)

Offline Strick28

• Trade Count: (0)
7 08 Handi is this Normal
« on: September 09, 2007, 04:22:01 PM »
I have 7 08 Handi that after cleaning the first 2 rounds fly 4 to 5" high.  After that it will settle in to point of aim.  I do realize that one needs to fire a couple of fouling rounds but I have never had a rifle that was that far off on a clean barrel.  Just curious to see if this is normal or if anyone else has experienced this?

Offline chance_livewire

• Trade Count: (9)
Re: 7 08 Handi is this Normal
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 04:40:33 PM »
HAD THE SAME THING HAPPENING TO ME ON A 243  EVERYONE I TALKED WITH SAID I HAD TO FIX MY FOREARM  AND MAYBY THIS AND MAYBY THAT, I GOT SO FLUSTERED WITH IT I GAVE UP AND TURNED IT INTO A 6MMX284. MY GUNSMITH TOLD ME IT WAS A SLOPPY CHAMBER CUT BY THE MANUFACTURER.
  HE SAID WHEN YOU CAN DROP A LIVE ROUND DOWN THE CHAMBER AND YOU CAN WIGGLE IT AROUND. SIDE TO SIDE  AND SUCH THE CHAMBER IS TOO SLOPPY. MINE WAS BAD ON A NEW GUN.. THERE WAS A POST SOMEWHERE ON HERE THEY CALL WHATS HAPPENING TO YOU ... (COLD SHOT SYNDROME) OR FIRST SHOT FLIERS.
~~CHANCE~~

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 04:41:53 PM »
I had a 204 that would shoot the first 8-10 rounds into a 6 inch group after a cleaning, then tighten up into a nice tight group 1 inch-1.5 inch. So yours dont sound too bad.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline Ireload2

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 05:50:20 PM »
Don't worry about it until it has established a pattern of doing that.
I shot my .38-55 Target yesterday and the first round was 2 feet low. First time it has done that in 3 trips to the range.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 03:08:45 AM »
If you don't mind me asking, what does your 7mm-08 like.
Factory or reloads?
How long to break in?

Offline rbergum95

• Contributor
  • Theres no luck in lead unless it's flyin'.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 03:18:23 AM »
i have a few guns that do the same thing. not quite as far off as yours though. if it only does it on a clean barrel i wouldnt worry too much. just make sure you foul it before you hunt with it. but make sure it only needs to be fouled and not warmed up. dont clean it before you take it to the range next time, see if it hits zreo. if it does, clean it at the range and try it again, if it hits off, then you know what you need to do before hunting with it.

Offline Dillohide

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 12:12:40 PM »
My 30-06 does that ... about 3 inches high. So, I don't clean it as hard or as often as I normally would and it shoots right where I left it out of a cold barrel. I run a light oil patch through it and several dry patches. Once I use solvent and really clean it I have to foul it again to get my group back. Hate putting one up a little dirty but a lot of hunting rifles are like that. 

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 01:28:25 PM »
i couldn't tell you the last time i cleaned my competition rifle i'm pushing 400 rounds down the tube and besides my break in i've not cleaned it but maybe twice . some times you can over clean a rifle . buy a bore snake an run it through one or two times after the range and call it good and don't do a damn thing to it before you hunt, at work if we are not putting up our M24's for a while we just wipe them down and shoot them again the next day hitting dimes the first shot
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 04:25:37 PM »
I'm not a big fan of cleaning anymore.  I got a little note/smar aleck comment from some guy at Remington about poor cleaning technique and took it to heart.  I am religious about wiping down the outside for fingerprints and just to cover the metal.

I read a deal one time about keeping a cold bore shot target.  It requires a bit of work but:

get new target
fire cold bore shot
replace target with another for shooting groups
save cold bore target
next trip to range shoot cold bore target
replace target with another for shooting groups

Repetition will show where your cold bore shot is.  You would have to be consistent about oiling the bore or not oiling the bore too.  Another variation is to cover the cold bore shot target the second time and all subsequent times with an identical unused target.  I guess to avoid affecting your results

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 04:39:25 PM »
I think the cold bore problem is a lot more of a problem with a break open rifle than a bolt rifle.  With the break open rifle it takes a while to get thing seated right, oil or grease, (or a little dust) on the hinge pin or latch, stuff behind the forend, or oil on the breach face, latch or latch shelf.  All these thing make a difference.  Those added to the difference in a clean to dirty bore can cause what you are getting.  I know I post this picture often, but is a good example of what can be done, this is a 17 Remington Savage 10, shots 1 through 10 in 5 minutes, totally clean bore with no oils etc in it.  Larry

A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Strick28

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 04:52:48 PM »
Thanks for the help. I was always taught to clean after shooting but I it looks like the Handis don't like to much cleaning.  Of course during hunting season I never clean my barrels unless I get out in the rain.  I shot 20 rounds the other day and put it up.  We'll see what happens next time out.  This is my first Handi and I have done most of the listed tune ups except the trigger but this trigger for hunting purposes is not bad IMO.  I think I'll try that cold shot procedure also so I know where my 1st shot is going during hunting season...

Someone asked me about Factory loads vs reloading.  I reload for evrything I shoot so I have not tried any factory loads in this rifle yet.  This one seems to like my trusty 41.5 grs Varget with 140BT's.