Author Topic: Ireland needs advice on pistols  (Read 619 times)

Offline Dobermann

• Trade Count: (0)
Ireland needs advice on pistols
« on: September 10, 2007, 04:19:15 AM »
Greetings from Ireland. I am in a bit of a pickle and really could do with some advice!
A little background first I live in Ireland and handguns have only been legalised about three years ago after nearly 30 years. To be honest people here have limited experience and getting a hand gun is difficult up to a few months ago their were only 1139 licensed handguns in the Country. So the chances of getting to tryout  pistols before you buy is next to impossible. I am one of the lucky ones and have a pistol already, a Hammerli Xesse Sport .22 (Sig Trailside) but I now want to get a fullbore pistol. I have tried several pistols and the two I am between is the Sig Xfive or Xsix and the CZ75 tactical sport both in 9mm. What I will be using it for is general target competitions so accuracy is very important and ease of use. As you have probably gathered I am pretty new to the sport so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Slainte

John

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Re: Ireland needs advice on pistols
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 11:31:50 AM »
While Sigs are good guns from what I have heard, I really like the CZ-75's.  I have two of them.  My hands are large, and I have heard that the Sigs are geared for the smaller handed people.

9X19 caliber is excellent for all around use.  It is available, low kick, good accuracy, and inexpensive, my favorite of the common centerfires.  I am glad to hear that Ireland now allows people to have handguns, the last I heard was that a person could only have one type of gun in Ireland, either a .22 rifle or an air rifle (pellot gun).

I think you people in Ireland should organize politically, like the NRA in the US.  All it is going to take to have the handguns under pressure to be banned is to have one crazy drunken guy who shoots several people, then you have a problem.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 01:14:43 PM »
I think the CZ75 is as tough as a Marine First Sergeant, but when it comes to dependability, nothing beats a Sig, and they do fit folks with BIG hands as well. or better, than the CZ.

I own several of both, and would not hesitate to say, "if my butt were on the line, I want a Sig in my hand."

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 01:47:37 PM »
Welcome Dobermann, and well, top of the morning too you.
Sigs should be relatively familiar and local too you.
I, along with Rockbilly, advocate the Sig, It is a primary choice of mine, accurate, out of the box reliable and easy too use.
Large hands fit the Sig.
The choice of caliber would be the 9MM for your purpose. Here the .45 is popular but I know that ammo sources in Ireland would probably favor the 9MM. The 9MM is nothing to sneer at and is used by many in the games on this side of the pond.
I like the P220 but I also have the 239.
Your on the right track and asking advice is always good.
Thanks for stopping by and look back thru the archives for such discussions as well.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Dobermann

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 10:43:14 PM »
Thanks a million for the advice,

I am placing my order on Monday and I think it will have to be the SIG SAUER P 226 X-SIX 9mm.
You have heard of rip off Ireland it's dollar price is $3,241.15 ouch. Another reason for the choice is that there are no gunsmiths
that I can find here in Ireland that have any real experience in handguns so out of the box accuracy and reliability is very important.

Thanks again

John

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 11:54:52 PM »
It is difficult too appreciate the cost and the awkwardness's of the situation.
It gives me the opportunity too see how blessed I am---well, concerning the handgun conversation--BUT, I am pleased that there is progress being made in your nation in regards to this situation.
How difficult is it too obtain a permit?
Are there any IDPA or such organizations which are helping those who wish to learn and participate in this activity?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Dobermann

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 02:02:44 AM »
It is difficult too appreciate the cost and the awkwardness's of the situation.
It gives me the opportunity too see how blessed I am---well, concerning the handgun conversation--BUT, I am pleased that there is progress being made in your nation in regards to this situation.
How difficult is it too obtain a permit?
Are there any IDPA or such organizations which are helping those who wish to learn and participate in this activity?
Blessings

To obtain a firearm cert in Ireland is quiet difficult and getting a handgun cert can be very difficult.
You must have a totally clean record, be a member of a gun club that has a certified range for the firearm
you are trying to get the licensed, have a monitored alarm, safe etc. After that it is down to the discretion
of the police who generally hold the view handguns should not be in the hands of the public at all.
Firearm dealers here cannot keep any stock of handguns other than trade-ins! ie you must request an
import license after you are granted your firearm license so as the dealer can import your new gun.
No real try before you buy I'm afraid.
In Ireland the SSAI is the governing body for shooters they arrange training courses and are the
umbrella body for the different discipline bodies ie silhouette, benchrest etc. It has become a lot more
organized in the last few years but we still need more proactive members.
I hope to get over to your side of the water this year and try out stuff we can't get here. ie fullbore sils