Author Topic: C'mere Deer  (Read 1210 times)

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
C'mere Deer
« on: September 11, 2007, 02:57:37 PM »
I do not usually use any type of attractant or "bait" of any type.  I don't believe all the hype, but for some reason this product has my attention.   Anyone ever used it with good results?  Any input appreciated.

Offline FourBee

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: C'mere Deer
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 03:17:28 PM »
No, I don't know anything about that.    I saw your 'Subject' and thought I'd like to send mine your way.   There's more on my ranch now than when I began asking hunters to thin them out 10 years ago.    It worked with Cottontail Rabbits, but these deer are something else.
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 12:45:24 PM »
I'm sure that if deer encountered it, they might investigate, but it looks pretty suspicious. Remember, these deer in the commercial are most likely penned or at least high-fenced. Deer tend to prefer minerals in the summer months, when natural vegetation lacks them, but that is well before the season. Also, it is illegal in NY to put out minerals. If it is legal where you are, try it out, what have you got to lose? Please let us know how it works, I'v been curious as well. Good luck

Offline smoky

• Contributor
    • http://www.cattletoday.com/sscc
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 10:55:46 AM »
I bought some and checked it out.  The deer hit it o.k., but it can get expensive.  I think the main ingredient in it is rice bran, which I can get locally at any of my agricultural co-ops that mix feed as rice bran is readily used in cattle rations.  I do use rice bran with EXCELLENT results.  I generally pour it on a stump.  It looks like flour.  I have seen many deer come to it and eat without hardly picking up their heads.

Now mind you it is like a lot of attractants in that it seems to draw mostly does and young deer.  But, of course, during the rut, if I can keep the does in sight then the bucks will show up sooner or later.

Good Luck,

Smoky
Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

Offline RaySendero

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 12:22:51 PM »
I do not usually use any type of attractant or "bait" of any type.  I don't believe all the hype, but for some reason this product has my attention.   Anyone ever used it with good results?  Any input appreciated.

darat,

I've no experience with the "doe scent" attractants.  But do hunt deer both stalking and with feeders.  What I've seen is that deer DO NOT like unfamiliar scents!  We hunt in LA using rice bran feed and in MS using deer corn.  Tried last year the rice bran in MS - The deer would not touch it - Even went out of their way to go arround and avoid it.  I believe they never tried, just avoided the "new" smell!
    Ray

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 02:24:38 PM »

darat,

I've no experience with the "doe scent" attractants.  But do hunt deer both stalking and with feeders.  What I've seen is that deer DO NOT like unfamiliar scents! 

I have seen several nice bucks come sniffing around during the rut when I had a bottle of doe urine set up. Two years ago I put a bottle with the lid off 20 yards off a wood line in an open field and a six pointer came out and stuck his nose right in that bottle. He got an arrow through both lungs and was dead before he knew what happened, so I use it every season. I imagine you can use too much and it would put an older more experienced buck off but I've had good success with it.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline FourBee

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 04:32:08 PM »
One year a young hunter bought a bale of alfalfa from me to attract deer where he was to hunt in the mountains.   Before season opened he set out one block of hay.   Don't know how many times he repeated that, but on opening day he placed a block of hay where he wanted the deer to stand for the shot.    It worked just as he planned.  He filled all his tags  that year.   
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 06:37:43 AM »
I think the idea that deer tend to avoid unfamiliar smells is not really true.  Several years ago a local peanut processing plant had a fire in a storage barn.  It was loaded with 50lb bags of shelled raw peanuts.  Even though a large part of the bags suffered no damage other than a little smoke, they could not be used for human consumption.  I managed to get my hands on 10 bags , I alternated them in feeders with corn, it attracted deer like crazy.  I have seen new scents introduced today, and tomorrow deer would be all over them.  Cinnamon candy (Red Hots), vanilla flavoring, or even human urine have attracted a deer's attention, and caused them to come in and investigate.  Apples are another good example.  How many areas that you hunt have apple trees nearby?  I don't know of an apple tree within forty miles of my place, but drop a few apples and the deer are drawn in like flies to a forth of July picnic.

Several years ago an oil exploration company came in, cleared an area and set up a test well on my place.  This was two weeks before the season opened,  they worked around the clock until three days before season opened when the tore the rig down and moved out.  The area where the well site was located had been pushed with a bulldozed, all trees and grass were removed in the approximately 3/4 acre area.  Opening day a hunter said there were 10-12 deer on the site at daylight, and shortly after sunup a nice buck was killed standing in the opening.  There was still a lot of smell from the toilet site, and from oil and gasoline spills (they cleaned them up later).  The point is, deer are naturally nosy by nature and will investigate a strange smell.  

My advice, if you can legally use the C'Mere Deer, or any other attractant, then give it a try.  It just might be the ticket for a wall hanger.