Author Topic: Slug gun Scopes  (Read 5590 times)

Offline Dogmann

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Slug gun Scopes
« on: September 12, 2007, 03:28:57 AM »
Slug guns are BRUTAL on scopes. I have a Leupold 2x  slug gun scope but I really like the Bushnell Trophy  1.75-6x or the 3-9....will the Bushnell  last thru a LOT of slug shooting....

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Slug gun Scopes
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 05:18:43 AM »
I have had the 1.75 - 4 X 32 Trophy mounted on my 20ga H&R Ultra Slug Hunter for 4-1/2 years now with no problems. It's a good scope, for the money. My 12ga Auto ate two of the BSA Slug Gun Scopes up in less than a dozen shots each, don't buy a BSA.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline 1187VX2

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 07:56:37 AM »
Been there, done that & in my experience, no it didn't last.  It was a Banner 3-9 - it did last a couple of years before it died though.  Have had good luck with the the BSA Catseye scopes - but have pretty much gone to Leupolds for guns I'm going to hunt with.  You can get a 2-7 VX1 for around $ 150, right?  Then you don't really have to wonder how long that Bushnell may or may not last.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 08:13:22 AM »
2X-7X var-x 2 been on 3 slug guns over 7 years , a  pump, auto and bolt gun ! still working ! only advice i can give !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 01:34:00 PM »
I have always favored 2.5X, maybe 4X (depends on which extra scopes I have available) fixed power scopes on slug guns.  I think (theoretically anyway) there is less to go wrong, lighter, more simple, sometimes better and brighter image, and 2.5X is absolutely adequate for a slug gun.  But, the variables keep getting better and better too.
I believe a K2.5 or K4 Weaver would hold up just fine on a slug gun - very good value and very decent optics.  I also hear that the Mueller 2-7X Multi-Shot is a decent scope, in fact I have one but haven't mounted it on anything yet.  I also have a couple of 2.5X20 M8 Leupolds with about 5" of eye relief that would work dandy, currently sitting on my .45-70's.  I know they would be excellent slug gun scopes.  Not sure if they make that exact model anymore.  I have a Redfield (Colorado) 2.5X on one of my sluggers - it has also been an excellent scope (no longer made).
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Huntsman1

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 05:47:16 PM »
How about a Nikon?

Offline wink_man

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 06:17:50 PM »
Between me and the kids, we have 7 slug guns and 9 slug barrels for them so 9 scopes are involved. 6 of the 9 scopes are Bushnell Banners, 1.5X4.5 variables with a duplex recticle. Have not experienced any problems with them, nor had any failures of any kind. I prefer the 1.5X4.5 because we hunt very thick cover, and instant target acquisition(at 10 yards on a moving animal you may only see for 4 seconds) is paramount to me. The 1.5 setting accomplishes that, and can be cranked up for a longer shot if necessary. Hunting with a 3X9 in thick cover will at some point in your hunting career(where  I hunt anyways), will cost you a good buck because you won't be able to find him in the scope fast enough at 3 power.
We find the Banners crystal clear, good in dim light, and as stated, have had no failures whatsoever, definitely our scope of choice on a slug gun in thick eastern woods. It's a lot of scope for the money, and a lifetime guarantee on top of it.
Garry
'Life is to short to hang with an ugly woman, or hunt with an ugly gun' - Garry
'It's not that our liberal friends are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't' Ronald Reagan
Just ask an American Indian what happens when you let immigration get out of hand.

Offline Rj 1

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 05:26:05 AM »
Love the Nikon Omega that is on my USH  ;D

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 09:22:07 AM »
I have had the 1.75 - 4 X 32 Trophy mounted on my 20ga H&R Ultra Slug Hunter for 4-1/2 years now with no problems. It's a good scope, for the money.

I second the motion for a Bushnell 1.75-4x32 scope...I've had one on my 12GA Ultra Slug Hunter for about the same amount of time...As with Busta's, no problems...I liked the scope so much that I purchased a second one for my 12 GA Rem 870 with a fully rifled cantilever scope mount Hastings barrel...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Huntsman1

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 04:44:07 PM »
I just bought a barrel/scope combo from Mossberg. Its a 20ga ported barrel with cantilever scope mount and Bushnell 3-9x32 Sportsman scope. How long do you figure it'll last? I'm a newbie with the 20ga slugs so I'm not experienced with the recoil.

Offline nkhunter

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 10:19:40 PM »
My buddy and me have been really happy with our 2-7 leupolds on our Savage 210's They both have the heavy reticle. I'm also really pleased with my 4x weaver on my beretta pintail.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 04:09:43 AM »
The primary reason scopes fail is not recoil but improper mounting. If one is properly mounted using either Burrris Signature rings or with lapped rings properly aligned scopes survive recoil forces quite well and only the very cheapest ones made only for rimfire level recoil are likely to fail. Mount them improperly and not even the best can take it. It's really that simple folks. If your scopes normally get ring marks you are not mounting them correctly as a properly mounted scope will not have ring marks.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline dougk

• Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 05:04:18 PM »
Slug guns are BRUTAL on scopes. I have a Leupold 2x  slug gun scope but I really like the Bushnell Trophy  1.75-6x or the 3-9....will the Bushnell  last thru a LOT of slug shooting....

I put the Muller scope to the test.  I would give that scope the thumbs up plus the reticle on the Mueller really makes a difference.

Here is the review http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,124128.0.html

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2007, 11:37:34 PM »
The primary reason scopes fail is not recoil but improper mounting. If one is properly mounted using either Burrris Signature rings or with lapped rings properly aligned scopes survive recoil forces quite well and only the very cheapest ones made only for rimfire level recoil are likely to fail. Mount them improperly and not even the best can take it. It's really that simple folks. If your scopes normally get ring marks you are not mounting them correctly as a properly mounted scope will not have ring marks.

Graybeard,

I would agree with that statement about 90%, gas operated autoloading 12 ga's with the new 2000+ FPS slugs are HARD on scopes. Not so much the recoil, but when that bolt is slamming back and forth, it takes it's toll in a hurry. They sort of get a double whammy, both ways. Then throw a couple BSA (built to take the recoil of slug guns) Slug Gun scopes, and you have JUNK after 10-12 shots. Two of them with the exact same results, the reticles both look like "X's" now instead of "+". This was about 7-8 years ago, hopefully BSA has improved their scopes in the mean time, but they will never get another dime from me. I have a cheap Simmons 2x32 Pro Diamond that has been on that same shotguns turkey barrel for 14 years that has hundreds of magnum turkey loads through it, never had a problem. I also have several other quality scopes that I don't have any problems with. Those BSA slug gun scopes from 7-8 years ago were pure JUNK, and although they were not as cheap as many others, are not worth the $20 to send them back.

And yes, these were properly mounted , both on cantilever mount barrels.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline sliceman

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 05:56:14 PM »
I think given enough shots through them any scope may fail. I had a Leupie VX3 on my 870 for 12-13 years, always tested a lot of slugs per year. Last year it failed after using it on a lead sled for 5 shots- got it repaired through warranty, and lasted for a couple of shots(got my deer) then failed again this year after only a few shots again. Long story short, I traded it in on a new BPS and Bushnell 4200 and now have better groups than I EVER got with the 870.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 07:23:13 AM »
so was it the scope or gun ?

Offline sliceman

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 04:53:26 PM »
Definitely the scope. I used slugs that have given me 2-3" groups at 100 yds over the years and grouped 18"( BTW using the lead sled with no lead)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 02:05:19 AM »
scopes rings and bases cause more gray hair than teenagers , well almost !

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 02:33:27 AM »
I really like the Bushnell Banners.  Between them and the Elite series, they are pretty much the only scopes I will buy anymore.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Revolver Nuts

• 460 XVR
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2007, 03:30:15 AM »
I have had a 1.75 - 6 Leupold with heavy duplex on my 12 ga. Ithaca Deerslayer for about 20 years with no problems. I shoot Remington Copper Sabots and at 100 yards it has been shooting 1.25" groups ever since it was first mounted. Zero has never changed.
I would buy the same scope again and never look back.
Revolver Nuts
Revolver Nuts
NRA Patron Lifer

Offline sixshooter

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2007, 03:57:16 AM »

I second the motion for a Bushnell 1.75-4x32 scope...I've had one on my 12GA Ultra Slug Hunter for about the same amount of time...As with Busta's, no problems...I liked the scope so much that I purchased a second one for my 12 GA Rem 870 with a fully rifled cantilever scope mount Hastings barrel...
[/quote]

Same here, Bushnell 1.75-4x32 on my Remington 870 SPS.  Great scope, nice & bright !  In the woods it's usually @ 1.75, the only time I really use the 4x is checking out new ammo.

Offline Flatshooter

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2007, 04:38:17 PM »
I have two  3 x 9 x 40 Banners Dusk to Dawns. One on my .50 cal and one on my 20 ga. USH. I have not experienced any problems with them. One problem that popped up last week was purely operator error!
Good scopes for the price and I also agree with Graybeard on the scope mounts.
Good luck either way.
Aim High & Let It Fly!

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2007, 01:22:25 AM »
I use the Leupold 2X7 shotgun scope and have for 10 years now. Not one peoblem.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2007, 06:43:46 AM »
5 years ago I bought my first Leupold................And after that I havent purchased anything else...........I only have 1 scope (a simmons 22Mag) on my ruger 10/22...............Everything else has been anything from the vx1 2x7 on my Marlin 512 slug gun to a variX3   4.5x14 on my savage model12 243. Since I have gon to Leupold I could never blame it on my scope..................I like you work hard for my money and thought that $100 dollar scope's weregood because I spent my hard earned money on them. I tried to justify to myself that they were good scope's................And I am not saying they aren't...................Its just when you spend that kind of money you get what you pay foe...if not in quality.then maybe in customer service. But I believe the vx1 series of Leupold is a very good scope for $200 ish...............And there customer service is impecable.....Even though I have never needed it myself. Believe me I have been the gamut with lesser quality scope's...............until I went into a gunshop one day...And told them the problem I was having with my 308................They asked me what kind of guns I had,,,,then what kind of glass I had.................There reply was. You have good guns..........But not the same quality of glass. they were right . Look into the value you are getting for your $$$$  The vx1 line isnt that much more $$$$ Good Luck and Good Shooting Drop

Offline NYH1

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2007, 08:00:07 AM »
I have to send my Leupold VX-II 2-7x33mm Shotgun Scope which has seen VERY little use back to Leupold.  When I make an adjustment on it my groups get huge and they don't move they way they should.  Right now it's on my 11-87 12 ga., it was on my 870 12 ga.  Two different shotguns, same results.  It's mounted properly.  It was tight and wasn't moving, I marked the scope to make sure of that.  When I took it off yesterday there wasn't a mark on it at all.  Back to Leupold it go's!

Now I have to set up my fathers 11-87 20 ga.  It has a 21 inch fully rifled barrel with the cantilever scope mount.  I don't know if I should go with a Leupold VX-I 2-7x33mm Shotgun Scope or go with a Nikon ProStaff Scope 2-7x32 Shotgun Hunter scope.
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2007, 10:42:38 AM »
New York Hunter, I am more than sure Leupold will fix it if there is a problem. Just because you had a problem with one Leupold, does not mean all Leupolds are bad. As you can tell I am a big Leupold fan.  ;D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2007, 02:12:50 PM »
I had an 1187 once............with a 26" barrel and then bought a fully rifeled slug barrel with a cantelever mount.found it in the bargain cave.....for only $165 dollars......WAYYYYYYYcool...then I went through 3 different scope's....................Called remington and they said put a "good" scope on them and there will be no problem.........I had eevery thing from a $200 red dot to a simmons pro diamond.( still on my wifes slug gun)..................I finally called a remington service center down by St Louis......T fella there told me that I had probably gotten one of the bad barrels they had out...............after every 3 shots it had to be cleaned ....or it wouldnt even be on the paper.Seems they had a problem with the rifeling in some barrels......was shearing off to much of the plastic from the sabot..and fouling the lands in the barrel....And the whole time I was blameing it on the scope......The funny thins is that the man at the service center said if I wanted to send it down he would mount one of his Leupold's on it and be able to tell me in 3 shots.........Long story shortened.It wasnt a bargain.was it? Somebody returned it for the same reason.................Sold the whole thing.........gun and all. Bought a new Benelli M1...and a new marlin model512 and put a leupold 2X7X33 on top of it,It shoots 2" groups @100yds all day long..........Any way just my experience with leupold and bad barrels.good luck Drop

Offline NYH1

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2007, 06:29:21 PM »
Yes Leupold told me to send it back and if there was anything wrong with it they will fix it ASAP.

I had this scope on an 870 and it did the same thing.  Remington gave me a new 870 barrel and it didn't help.  I brought that complete gun less the scope and rings back to Remington (I'm an hour away from the Ilion, NY plant).  They did re stake the dimples in the magazine tube.  They sent it to be test fired and gave me the target from the test firing.  It was about a 3 inch group with Copper Solid slugs.  When I got the gun back the season was over.  I didn't hunt the two season following that and I sold the barrel to a friend of mine for his son.  They mounted a Nikon ProStaff Shotgun Scope on it.  It shoots under 2 inches at 100 yards with Hornady SST slugs.  I'm having the same problem with my 11-87 that I had with two 870 barrels. 

I know Leupold makes outstanding scopes and they'll stand behind their products.  When I get my scope back I'm sure it will be fine.  One reason I'm leaning towards the Nikon ProStaff 2-7x32 Shotgun Scope over the Leupold shotgun scope is that now Leupold shotgun scopes are VX-I's, instead of VX-II's.  Looking at them they don't look any better then the Nikon, but cost $70 to $80 more.  Another reason is because I know people that use both and haven't heard anyone complain about either. 

"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline NYH1

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2007, 06:48:43 AM »
Another thing I noticed last night as I was packing my scope up to send back.  I shook it back and forth and I could hear and feel a clicking noise.  There is definitely something loose inside the scope.  I made sure the windage and elevation cap covers were tight as well as the adjustable lens at the read of the scope.

While my scope is back at Leupold I'm going to have them change the "heavy duplex reticles" to the "standard/regular duplex reticles".  I never really liked the heavy reticles to begin with.  All my other scopes have the standard/regular reticles.  That's what I've alway's used and I'm used to.

I bought a Nikon ProStaff 2-7x32 Shotgun Scope for my fathers 11-87 20 ga.  I haven't shot the gun with it yet because I had to order the black synthetic stock and fore-end from a 11-87 Sportsman Deer 20 ga. directly from Remington.  His gun is the Premier and I can't find a monte carlo wood stock for it so I'm going to switch to the black synthetic.  I'm an hour away from Remington's Ilion, NY plant.  I wanted to drive down and pick the stock and fore-end up yesterday so I could shoot it today.  They wouldn't let me.  They said they had to send it to me.  I should get it Monday or Tuesday.

Offline hunterjoe21

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2007, 05:28:00 PM »
My Mossberg 500 has been wearing a Bushnell Sportsman 1.75-4 x since I purchased its rifled/cantilivered barrel in 2001. I've put at least 250 rounds through it, and I've yet to experience a problem with the scope.

Recoil from this gun (as with any fixed breach slug gun) is brutal. I've seen it compared to a .375 H&H, but I've never used a shoulder fired weapon quite that large, so I can't validate the comparison. I can say that little $80 scope has taken everything the Mossberg has dealt it without issue, and if it failed tomorrow, I'd run out and get another one without hesitation.