Author Topic: I have a great idea!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 3582 times)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
Re: I have a great idea!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2007, 09:59:43 AM »
I've toyed with the idea of a East coast get together. I've got to many irons in the fire right now though. Dale if you put something together up in PA I'm sure I'd make it up to that.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2007, 10:11:21 AM »
i probably would be able to make pa
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline rbergum95

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Theres no luck in lead unless it's flyin'.
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2007, 10:22:32 AM »
PA is a go for me as well.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2007, 10:38:47 AM »
We may be could get a informal thing together here in Pa. Kind like a group guy's that go to the range one day. I would really like to get the GBO site involved and get this thing off the ground. I feel that KS or MO is really the only fair place for everyone for such an event. It would be a real long drive for me to get there to.   Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline rbergum95

• Contributor
  • Theres no luck in lead unless it's flyin'.
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
as great of an ideas as it is, the logistics of such an event are just too big without being sure you could get enough people to attend. travel across country inst for everyone, plus gas prices being what  they are...... but a regional or local smaller group type gathering would be doable. keep us posted with any progress you make.

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2007, 10:51:46 AM »
Timing is wrong for a big one. Hunting season starting you mite get local one going. Some of us in Alabama and Tenn. get together once in awhile. There was one in St. Louis area I wanted to go to not long ago but couldn't work it out.
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2007, 07:29:04 AM »

Putting something together for next spring shouldn't be a problem...but not now...Lodging has to be available...and or someplace to camp..If folks wants to come this way...I am sure we can help set this up...I just need to know a-lot of the particulars to start checking things out in earnest... namely

1) How many people will be attending

2) What type of sleeping accommodations will they be wanting...camping..self contained units or not...motels...

3) What type of activities folks will want...and will children be attending...?

4) What type of shooting events are wanted.?

5) What type of group meals are folks wanting...

These are just a few things that need to be sorted out to make it enjoyable for all attending...In the spring here...there isn't much hunting to be done...so are folks wanting more of a shooting event...or a hunting event...?

Just wishing and wanting something like this is fine...but...it takes planning to make it work...what makes it harder is if  you don't have large sections of land available to hunt on..and house folks...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2007, 08:20:27 AM »
Mac I think MO would be great. Thanks for stepping up and helping out. What part of MO are you from? As far as how many will show up I think we need to start a new thread and have a sign up list for it. This way we will know what to expect as far as turn out goes. Of the people that sign up we can work out the pituclars.  Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2007, 11:46:43 AM »
Actually you won't as I've explained in my post on that thread you started. What you can expect is that at best 25%-50% of the folks who post to that thread saying they will be there will really show when the day arrives. That's based on my experience with previous events of this sort that have been set up thru this site. A whole lotta folks will say they want to be there and will even go so far as to say they will "definetely be there but they won't show.

For the folks who are serious and really WILL SHOW you need to provide them with a time, place and agenda of what will be happening so they can make the necessary plans for leave time and such.

To make this work I think someone must first up front decide the location, time and what's gonna take place at the event. Then and only then can you get the kinda folks who will actually show up to make the real commitment to be there.

Now how you go about making those decisions is open to discussion. The event planner can just say this is when, where and what or you can ask for input and then decide. But someone at some time has to say this is what's gonna happen, when and where it will take place and then ask for a firm commitment to be there. Let each person make their own hotel/motel/camping ground arrangements DO NOT set yourself up to be on the hook for those who don't show up.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2007, 12:14:38 PM »
These are good points GB. Allthough I think we need an idea how many people might show just to even decide if such an event is even worth while. Mac has not posted anything on this yet and I may have jumped the gun a little. This event would take place in the spring of 08. Maybe March, April  or May. Not sure yet have to work things out. This is something that will not happen in a month. As far as shooting competitions go We really do need some input from other members. I can see a long range competition. Maybe a competition with tightest groups. I would not mind seeing skeet shooting. We could even play poker by shooting cards at different ranges to make your hand. The low cards would be at 100 yards the mid cards would be at 200 yards and the high cards would be at 300 yards. These are the kind of games we need to come up with. I would like to point out that this is a GBO event and any rifle could be used. We could even have compititons like big bore small bore and med bore. Come on guy's this is your event lets get some real feed back what you would like to see and do.   Dale

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2007, 12:21:25 PM »
Also guy's I have never planned anything like this so please bare with me an come up with ideas and lets make this thing happen.  Dale

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2007, 12:51:48 PM »
Mac I think MO would be great. Thanks for stepping up and helping out. What part of MO are you from?

As I stated on page 2, Mac is in St Louis, he's at work now, so he can't reply until tonight. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2007, 12:58:28 PM »
Mac I think MO would be great. Thanks for stepping up and helping out. What part of MO are you from?

As I stated on page 2, Mac is in St Louis, he's at work now, so he can't reply until tonight. ;)

Tim
That's fine Tim. We all have to work. Dale

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2007, 01:28:31 PM »
Ummm.... not all of us, there are those of us that work no more!! ;D

Tim

Offline DalesCarpentry

I had a great idea!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2007, 04:49:18 PM »
I did think I had a great idea. I realize after a few days that this would take more than me and a few members to put together. I would really like to have an event like this but I have never put anything like this together. Unless there is a person in our mist that puts events together I feel it will be a bust. I am sorry but unless there is real help from some people other than me and Mac this whole thing is a wash.   Dale

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2007, 05:17:27 PM »
I am sorry but unless there is real help from some people other than me and Mac this whole thing is a wash.   Dale

YUP. Kinda reminds me of what the big guy said to the PC in the MAC/PC commercials. You have come to a sad realization.

It takes a TREMENDOUS amount of time, work and effort to make one of these things happen. That's why for ever 20 of them folks talk up maybe one will happen. Folks in general are just not ready and willing to put forth the level of effort it takes.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2007, 05:40:10 PM »
GB no that is not it at all. I am willing to put many hours into this project. Even at the cost of making my wife upset so I can drive half way across the country to go shoot some guns with some buddies. I just am not feeling the need or want of the other members. This needs to be a team effort and we do not have much of a team. Some feel it is to far away to travel. That is the point unless you are lucky enough to live in MO or a state close to it you will have to travel. I live in PA if this event was in West Virgina or Ohio I would say I would be there in a minute but it is not. I would have to travel hundreds of miles to get to this event like anyone else. The only differnce is I am willing to do that to meet some people that have a common intrest as me.  Dale

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2007, 10:04:39 AM »
I planned a family reunion ONCE.  It took a year and a half and even then I had to bribe people (family) to be there.  It was across the country for me and a good share of the family that showed up.  I had cousins that lived in the town where we held the reunion that never showed up.

Not sure where I was headed with this story.  But a big event does take a lot of planning and you can't get overwhelmed by the lack of enthusiasm from others.  Planned big and be happy with the way it turns out.  Those that come will have a good time.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2007, 10:22:54 AM »
I use to help organize 3-day pre-1840 blackpowder rendezvous shoots for two blackpowder clubs, both of which I belonged, these were local, annual events that took months of planning and help from every member of the club, one had about 50 members, the other closer to 100. Even these local events took many, many man-hours(and woman-hours ;D) to make the events sucessful, and they were both held on dedicated property that was owned by the clubs for their monthy events. Trying to do a similar thing on property that isn't available 24/7 and dedicated for an event is an entirely different matter and one that would take considerable investment of time, money and long range planning to be sucessful. ;)

Like I said before, you'd be better off finding such a place that's capable of handling the anticipated turn out, regardless of where it's at, then find folks that are interested in attending and being part of making it happen, particularly those locals that would be the core group of organizers, just like Wes, Dano and the PD shoot fellas do. ;)

Tim

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2007, 03:46:11 PM »
yes and i imagine there are some local laws that would need to have a permit for such a large event
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2007, 01:13:36 PM »
Well guy's we still need a place for this get together. I got a little bummed out last week when no progress was made at all. I would still like this to come together. I have been convinced that I should think smaller. With that being said. We should see how many people sign up in the next month or so. I am thinking of maybe 50 to 100 people would be nice. Plus their family members. If you live in MO or KS and know of a range or belong to a range that could hold an event as such please check with them. Dale

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2007, 01:19:35 PM »
why not people who have land that could work as a range?

Rick

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2007, 02:05:41 PM »
That should work also. Thanks Dale

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2007, 02:15:18 PM »
something else you could do is see after you choose the site and town you could see if there are any local gun shops that would like to help also. you could include a gun show or anything else related or any type of shoot that you could win hunts anything to attract people that may not be on this site. you will need sponsors and i know a local get together here in sc we had sponsors and we got hank parker to come and his sons. we also had babe winkleman come and a ceo from bass pro shops along with gun companies and gun shops.

Rick

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2007, 02:31:56 PM »
As I stated before one of the ways to put something togeather is if you belong to a club or a range and I don't belong to either is to try and get togeather with one of their special shoot weekends where you can tell them you might be able to draw in another 50 or 100 participants and then try to work with them.I don't know how this works with gun clubs or ranges . But we used to hold our summer gathering for a  bowhunting org that I was a member of in conjunction with what was known as the Pekin Traditional bow rendezvous. The only thing I know about any club around here is every fall the Beloit Rifle Club has special shoots where non members pay $5 per gun to come sight in their deer rifles before the Wisconsin season opens I don't know how gun clubs work though as I have never belonged to one. kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"