Author Topic: Kimber .45 jams 2nd to last round in clip...always  (Read 1599 times)

Offline bearfat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • "Nothin but giant rats with stubby little tails"
    • Deer/Bear hunting Northern Minnesota
Kimber .45 jams 2nd to last round in clip...always
« on: September 14, 2007, 09:56:11 AM »
A guy I work with has a Kimber .45 jamming 2nd to last round in the clip consistently. He has tried numerous clips from other Kimber owners and it doesn't help.

Always the 2nd to last round. Any ideas?

bearfats cabin:    http://buckmountainchateau.com/

Offline Dusty Miller

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Kimber .45 jams 2nd to last round in clip...always
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 11:40:35 AM »
I'm far from any kind of expert when it comes to firearm malfunctions but my best guess would be the ejector needs some "adjustment" of some sort.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 02:42:25 PM »
is he, by any chance, sub-consciously loosening his grip on the firearm as he anticipates coming to an end of that magazines shooting?    if so, the action of the pistol may be inhibited by his loosening of his grip.   some pistols need to get a 'strong' hold on them so they'll properly work the slide and the loading/extracting/ejecting functions.    that's why women, and some men with light handholds, can have problems with some of the 'automatics'.     a strong recoil spring may complicate this problem when the firearm is lightly held onto.   

ss'
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 01:09:37 AM »
a good 1911 will function just fine even if gripped lightly. Id say hes still experiencing magazine problems and id try a good mag like a wilson or chip mccormic in it. Sounds like a weak mag spring to me. That and i agree with the strong recoil spring. Most guns are sprung way to heavy from the factory to prevent wear and warantee work. In a full sized 1911 give a 14-15lb wolf variable rate spring a try. Its probably a combination of a week mag spring not pushing the round up fast enough and the slide returning to quickly.
blue lives matter

Offline hemiram

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 01:40:55 AM »
My friend's Kimber (don't know what model it is) does the same thing with ONE mag (came with it), the other 3 or 4 he has don't do it. He hasn't been able to solve it either. That mag works fine in about every other gun he has, and other owner's 1911's seem to have no problem with it. It also randomly jams for no apparent reason, once in a while, usually on the second shot.

Sad to say, ALL of his 4 high buck 1911's have some sort of issues with feeding, either it's like the above problem, or it's entirely random, but all of them, even after being well past the break in stage, have issues.  He's kind of down on the whole 1911 experience. His rough looking old Colt shoots fine though, it belonged to his dad, who carried it in a homemade holster that really shined it up over the years. It has a lot of minor scratches and dings too, but it makes the high dollar ones look very bad. My $350 EAA Witness chewed through 200+ rounds the first time I shot it, with the only problem being mags had to be really slammed in, or they would pop out on the first shot. A couple of dozen inserts and removals cured it totally, and so far, with it coming up on 1000 rounds through it, it's had ZERO problems, even when shot with as weak a grip as I could hold it and still fire it..

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 03:33:00 AM »
I totally agree with Lloyd, it sounds like a magazine issue.  I'd try a wolff magazine spring in that mag and if that doesn't cure it, toss the mag.  Also pay attention to the recoil spring and put a new one in of the PROPER weight.  If the gun was bought used, you have no idea what might have been put in it.  Any used 1911 I would buy would immediately get new springs.  I used to also lighten the main spring (hammer spring) for what I believed would give me a better trigger pull.  Now I know that it also has a lot to do with recoil timing and feeding so I have gone back to full power hammer spings in my guns.  There are entirely too many people with an oppinion of how a 1911 should be tuned.  Usually we should leave it the way it was designed, keep fresh springs in it, and just shoot it a lot.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 05:06:12 AM »
I had similar problems with two Kimbers, One would "stovepipe" after about five rounds, the other one had feed problems.  I went through two dozen magazines on the advice of someone from Kimber.  That didn't help either gun.  My local smith checked them out, and could find no reason for the malfunctions.  Both guns went back to Kimber, they were returned with new mags, and a recommended diet, which didn't work.  After about eighteen mounts of confusion, I fixed them myself..............I traded both guns off!

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 05:26:10 AM »
Ditto the magazine issue. Slightly widening the mag lips MANY times cures this problem. AND, if your shooting reloads, a over all cartirdge length can add to the issue.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 12:53:25 AM »
Sounds like this Kimber can count  ;).
If it has been tried with "different" mags and still does it the same way every time I would discount the mags being the issue. it doesn't make sense that all of them would be exactly the same.
The recoil spring seems to be the only common thread in this malfunction.
I would try another recoil spring.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 02:11:11 AM »
bearfat:  (1) what type of jam are you talking about?  Stovepipe or other?  (2) what type of ammo does your buddy use????  Mikey.

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 09:04:56 AM »
I have heard of two Kimber 1911's at my gun club that were bad too.  The owners sent them in several times and then sold them off.  One of the Kimbers that he had, he let me shoot it, the one clip I shot did work ok.  At the time I had my Bulgarian Makarov that I paid $130.00 for NIB.  My Makarov shot better, and never jambed.

I also heard that their rifles have a 50% variable in accuracy.  The company states that they all are accurate, but half don't shoot that well.

I would not buy a Kimber gun 

Offline bearfat

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 09:35:20 AM »
bearfat:  (1) what type of jam are you talking about?  Stovepipe or other?  (2) what type of ammo does your buddy use????  Mikey.

I believe he said stovepipe. Not certain on his ammo type.

I am rather surprised on this post it seems to be almost a known problem with Kimbers. I know nothing about them, can't hit the broadside of a barn with the 5 different pistols I do own and will not being buying another pistol...well maybe a single action revolver but that's it...no more.

The five I own are all semi-auto and at one time or another seem to have a hiccup with certain ammo or lack of oil or dirty or whatever but I was always able to figure it out.

Offline Dee

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 09:42:27 AM »

I believe he said stovepipe. Not certain on his ammo type.

I am rather surprised on this post it seems to be almost a known problem with Kimbers. I know nothing about them, can't hit the broadside of a barn with the 5 different pistols I do own and will not being buying another pistol...well maybe a single action revolver but that's it...no more.

This is a common problem with 1911s in general. A stove pipe could be an ejector, extractor, magazine, dirty or ruff chamber, in need of porting, recoil (slide) spring, ammo, a lack of lubrication on the rails, or a combo of all, or a few of these. Or ABUSE. It is most certainly fixable, and does not take away from the quality of the Kimber.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Savage

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 09:43:24 AM »
Well, there you have it. 1911s are unreliable, Kimbers are junk, and pistols in the $100-$300 range are much better performers than anything costing over $600! It all must be true, I just read it-----------! ::)
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 02:01:10 AM »
HEHEHE :D.
Well, at least you don't have a great deal of money tied up---unless you own a lot of inexpensive guns.
In general though, Savage, there is some amount of truth too your humor.
Some do require a lot of tinkering to get them to run reliably--some a complete re-build.
I like 1911's though and it does seem as though there are some manufacturers who build good guns, but they may have some that need tinkering with.
I agree with Dee on the mag thought thing though. Magazines can be a culprit in many of these concerns. It doesn't seem too be the issue here though.
Imano!
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline His lordship.

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 06:59:00 AM »
I bought a Philippine made, basic GI 1911, Rock Island brand pistol this Summer for $435.00 NIB.  Very reliable gun, never jambs, accurate too.  I use a GI type clip, and an 8 shot after market mag.  Heard complaints on the Springers and Kimbers, I guess you don't always get what you pay for.

Offline Savage

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 10:52:28 AM »
Hey, William!
Glad you appreciate a little not so subtle humor. You're right about the magazines, it's one of the "big three" causes of malfunctions in autos------------1911s especially!
1. Defective Magazines
2. Improper or fatigued springs.
3. Extractor breakage/adjustment.
Keep smiling William!!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 11:01:32 AM »
bearfat:  if he said stovepipe then it means the slide isn't going back far enough to properly pick up the next round in the mag and chamber it or, the magazine fails to present the next round properly.  The slide picks it up about midway and jams it perpendicular against the chamber.  That usually points to about five of the causes Dee listed and I would suspect dirt and ammo.  I would also disassemble the magazines and give them a good cleaning.  It could easily be that there is a rough spot in the magazine that could jam the follower enough so the 2nd to the last round is not properly presented in the magazine as the slide goes forward to battery.  

Yet another thing to look at is the magazine disconnector to see if it might be causing a partial jamming at the 2nd to the last round and also the magazine follower to see if it may need adjustment.  

I would have your buddy clean it well and properly lubricate it.  I would make certain he has a supply of quality mil-spec ball rather than any other type of ammo, hollowpoint or soft nose.  I would also have a handful of additional magazines, and not necessarily Kimbers.  

Ask him if his magazines have a rub or wear line going up the mag to the disconnect cutout that might be the cause of some extra pressure.  

And bearfat - not to worry buddy, we'll getcha zeroed in on that barn, no sweat............. Mikey.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2007, 11:18:14 AM »
I kinda relate the experience with my Kimbers to an experience we had with the wife's car.  It had a wind noise that bothered the heck out of me "when" I drove it (i prefer to drive my pick-up), it went back to the dealer several times for repair, finally I told the owner of the dealership what I thought about his product, and it didn't take long before it was fixed.  (The real problem here, the nearest dealership is about a two hour drive from where we live.)

I spent a lot of money to purchase the two Kimbers I bought, then had to spend additional money buying magazines to see if I could correct a problem, I had the expense of postage shipping the guns back to them, and did not have the use of the product for approximately eighteen months.

My point, when I spend my hard earned cash for a product, I expect it to work, especially when it it a high dollar item that is advertised to be "the best."  When I came to realize that they were no better than many of the other guns I owned, and would not perform to my expectations, I got rid of them.  By the way, I also had a Kimber rifle that had a bad barrel out of the factory.  I no longer own it either.......

Offline His lordship.

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 06:39:52 AM »
Their manufacturing location is in Yonkers, NY.  I don't think of the New York City area as being known for gun knowledge, too liberal.  Maybe that is the problem.

Offline 454-hunter

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2007, 03:36:21 PM »
I more than likely a spring one way for sure is to take the spring out and give it a stretch a little and cause it to have a little more push. Or you could try keeping a good stiff grip on the pistol and shot the magazine all the way out if it still hangs up the next to last or last casing then it is probably a spring issue with the magazine . I am no expert and if you choose to take my advise it is on your own accord . I will say that i used to take the magazines on my sig sauer p-229 and take the spring out of the magizine on it when I was a cop we used to leave them loaded and it would compress the spring in the mags so we would take the spring and stretch them a little bit and cause them to push up harder on the bullets and it would cycle all the shells out without a problem . good luck hope you figure out the problem.

Stan

Offline bearfat

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2007, 01:52:03 PM »
He sent it back in to the the company since it was still under warranty. If they tell him what the problem was I'll post it.