Author Topic: Is this illegal?????  (Read 1694 times)

Offline Old Griz

• Trade Count: (0)
Is this illegal?????
« on: September 15, 2007, 11:52:08 AM »
I tried shipping two grip frames, with grips to be fitted, by UPS today, and they wouldn't do it. Is it illegal to ship parts by UPS now?!?
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Is this illegal?????
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 12:58:47 PM »
UPS ships complete guns. They were in error.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 12:59:17 PM »
Not as far as I know.  They might have been thinking reciever, as that's not allow with the USPS.  I shipped some barrels and a stock by UPS with no problem.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 01:11:59 PM »
UPS accepts firearms including handguns, but only at their Customer Centers and thu daily pickup accounts. USPS accepts long guns from anyone that can legally own one, and handguns from FFLs and LEOs.

Tim

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/guidelines/firearms.html

Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS
You can only ship your package that contains a firearm from UPS daily pickup accounts and through UPS Customer Centers
When you  are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk
You can use UPS daily pickup accounts to ship firearms, not including handguns, through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS On-Call PickupSM, and One-Time Pickup
Your packages that contain firearms will not be accepted for shipment at UPS Drop Boxes, with UPS Express CriticalSM service, at locations of The UPS Store or any third-party retailer, or with international services
See the terms and conditions in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service for shipping firearms

http://pe.usps.gov/text/pub52/pub52c4_003.html#NL508_15

432 Mailability
432.1 General
The following conditions apply:

a. Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as "handguns") are nonmailable in the domestic mail, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1.

b. The disassembled parts of a handgun or other type of nonmailable firearm that can be readily reassembled as a weapon are nonmailable, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1 or 601.11.2.

c. Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are generally permitted, as specified in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.2.

d. Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90-618) and 18 USC 921. The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from mailing because of the restrictions in 432.2 b and c.

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 06:44:16 PM »
432 Mailability
432.1 General

b. The disassembled parts of a handgun or other type of nonmailable firearm that can be readily reassembled as a weapon are nonmailable, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1 or 601.11.2.

These were just grip frames. They could NOT be reassembled into a weapon.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 12:41:41 AM »
I, normally label them as machined parts and that seems to satisfy my local UPS folks.
It is not, from my reading, unusual for specific personnel to attempt too use their own bias' to thwart sending but it is not the policy of UPS.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Ken ONeill

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 01:58:19 AM »
Send them as machine parts. It's done all the time.

Offline COR

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 02:09:53 AM »
Use Fedex and forget about those brown trucks.  No hassle and no policies based on local "managers" that think they know it all.  They are notoriously inconsistent station to station. I will NEVER use UPS (or USPS) again when shipping firearms.  Fedex will never ask what's in the box.  Vote with your wallet and maybe they will get it.

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 12:14:08 PM »
I had a similar issue with UPS, but it was a UPS store and they certainly were not in tune with the regulations.  I sold a 10/22 stock on Ebay and they were having a heart attack about having to ship it.

I now use Pak Mail who will ship UPS, DHL, and Fed Ex.  I've never had an issue with that store.  At the end of the day parts is parts.

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 02:21:26 PM »
I shipped a full Ruger Vaquero back to the company for repair work through UPS. They delivered it back righ to my door. I did take out insurance,and made sure that I had records of serial #s, etc.

Offline flabbydan

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 02:48:52 PM »
 ??? I thought federal law required you to inform the carrier that you're shipping a firearm.   :-\

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 10:05:10 PM »
That is if you are shipping a firearm.  If it is not classified as a class II weapon (as in a part, not being the receiver) you dont have to put anything on it.

"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 02:05:49 AM »
I find it easier just too avoid the hassle and questions and label it as machined parts.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 04:18:11 PM »
I find it easier just too avoid the hassle and questions and label it as machined parts.
Blessings

That is a good idea.  But seriously, your mail is your mail, and is federally protected.  As long it is not on a list of items that much be labeled (firearms, ammo, explosives, chemicals, etc) then they have no right to ask you what it is.  They can ask you if it is a chemical, explosive, or firearm, and all you have to do is say no.

If they push the issue, THEY ARE BREAKING FEDERAL LAW.  Call the FBI, have them busted.

As long as it is not a restricted item, you can mail what you want when you want to, without hassle.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline flabbydan

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 07:57:41 AM »
That is if you are shipping a firearm.  If it is not classified as a class II weapon (as in a part, not being the receiver) you dont have to put anything on it.

Don't mind me!  My eyes saw "grip frame", but my brain thought Encore or Contender frame.  Brain fart.
Dan

Offline odoh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 07:47:28 PM »
Spoke w/Ruger customer service today as they're sending me a prepaid shipping lable for my SBH. His take was 'don't ask, don't tell' ~ its legal but life is too short to have to educate someone that should already know. My take is to go when there are long lines. When they're just sitting on their thumbs is when it gets dicy.

Offline Joe B.

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 06:24:27 PM »
UPS Stores are affiliated businesses not run by UPS itself. They specifically state in their policies that guns must be shipped through their area customer service counter or a daily pickup shipper. IF a grip frame is the part with the serial number it is the same as shipping an entire gun. Do not label the package in any way that says it is a gun. Just tell the driver it is going to a dealer or for repairs. Or say nothing at all. Handguns must be shipped Next Day Air. Be sure to insure it and get a UPS tracking number.

When dealers use the US Mail (cheaper for handguns, UPS is cheaper for long guns) we have special forms to fill out and turn in with it, along with a copy of each dealer license (FFL) for each package. Dealer to Dealer only on handguns. Long guns may be mailed by a private individual to a resident of your own state or to a licensed dealer or warranty station. Whatever you do, get insurance and a delivery confirmation number.

For peace of mind and to CYA, go through your local FFL to ship a gun. A lot less legal hassles for dealer to dealer shipments and transfers. Remember Waco and Ruby Ridge.