Author Topic: ejector problems fixed  (Read 559 times)

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
ejector problems fixed
« on: September 16, 2007, 11:22:32 AM »
My 30-06 started acting up again after a fired cases getting stuck :I thought I has the problem corrected last year but it started all over again:
I had some extra time on my hands yesterday so I knock out the the pin in the housing took a little pulling to get the ejector out from the housing but it did come out.I next went to remove the spring and found it was bent;I would think when it was factory installed
maybe they did not align it up straight before installing the ejector bar.
I did straighten the spring up pulled on it to make it a tad longer polished the ejector bar with 1200 wet@dry reinstalled and tried it today at the range 20 shots no problems with ejection .
I read in the sticky forum that a BB can be used to increase the pressure I tried it but I could not get the part back together again
you need an extra set of hands.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: ejector problems fixed
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 12:34:28 PM »
To get the ejector reinstalled with the BB behind the spring, put it all together then hold the barrel vertical on a hard surface, push down on the barrel to push the ejector into position, then insert a punch thru the pin way as a slave pin to align things, knock the roll pin in from the opposite side as it pushes the punch back out. I've done several this way, works fine, just requires a little yankee ingenuity. ;D  I've added this tip to the FAQs so the next one to try it doesn't need 3 hands too!! :D

Glad ya got it whipped!! ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline lonewolf5348

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 02:24:57 PM »
tim: I thought about it laying it level on a flat surface but I did not want to remove the scope,I have to say no problems so far I was pleased:Hay if the spring was bent like a U when I removed it from the housing that why it would not just drop out.I took a fine rod and bent the end into a hook so I could grap the back end of the spring.I also was going to remove the front pin seem the front pin is what holds the spring from comming out of the housing.I am going to call H@R on Monday and see if they will send me a few extra roll pins just incase I go back in and add the BB

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 02:33:01 PM »
The roll pins are available at a hardware store if you have one nearby, you may need to buy em longer and trim em tho. Just about every spring I've removed has had some "kink" in it, I've made a spacer out of a 6-48 screw to perform the same function as a BB, trim the head down and left a bit of the shank to act as a guide for the spring to keep it straight, that's worked out very well too, makes for a super effective ejector!! ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 03:51:04 PM »
To get the ejector reinstalled with the BB behind the spring, put it all together then hold the barrel vertical on a hard surface, push down on the barrel to push the ejector into position, then insert a punch thru the pin way as a slave pin to align things, knock the roll pin in from the opposite side as it pushes the punch back out. I've done several this way, works fine, just requires a little yankee ingenuity. ;D  I've added this tip to the FAQs so the next one to try it doesn't need 3 hands too!! :D

Good tip Tim!

When I installed the BB on mine, I thought about using a dab of superglue but found the vial had dried out. So I put just a tiny bit of heavy wheel bearing grease on the end of the spring and the BB stuck like glue... even with my shakey hand.

Bill

Offline lonewolf5348

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 12:28:05 AM »
funny thing that what I did to get the BB to stick on the spring other wise no way you can drop the spring and try to get the BB to sit on top of the spring.I am going to leave it for now and if starts acting up again the BB will be installed
I have to say this 06 can shoot 3 shots 50 yards from the bench all in one hole:funny I had the guy next to me who was shooting a custom Mauser 06 did not believe how well the gun will shoot:I change my load went 50 grains of 4350 and the bulk Remington 165 SP bullet FPS around 2550 using some primers a Buddie gave Winchester large rifle primes funny thing never sen a box of primer that said for large rifle and Mag: rifle but the price was right no charge.

Offline Ireload2

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 03:44:25 PM »
Have any you guys chronographed your ejectors yet?  ;D