Author Topic: WHAT'S YOUR WORST CASE GO TO GEAR?  (Read 5682 times)

Offline EDELWEISS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
WHAT'S YOUR WORST CASE GO TO GEAR?
« on: September 16, 2007, 07:22:11 PM »
Suppose theres an emergency (flood, riot,...or zombies), and you have only a limited time to grab your gear, what would you take?  This can get kinda scary if you take it seriously.  If you have a family, they're included.  If you're fleeing from the city and you drive a Miata, then you cant pack a load that will require a F350.  How much fuel do you have right now?  If youre gonna stay put and "bunker" down, what last minute steps you take before the collaspe hits.

If youre moving, you can only carry so much, so what do you take?  What if you are on foot?  A super magnum may offer some advantages; but may not be useful to anyone else.  You just might find that "ammunition is the new currency".  How bout food and shelter?  If youre leaveing your home, where are you going/will you be welcomed where youre headed?  Can you carry openly as you travel?

Most of these questions will depend on your senario.  How long will it last?  Will help be coming?  Do you want help that comes with restrictions?  Do you have any special requirements?  Do you have any special skills that you can barter?  

Think about it Katrina, anthrax, blizzard, 9-11, Y2K.......  Remember you can only use what you have right now.

Offline EDELWEISS

• Avid Poster
Re: WHAT'S YOUR WORST CASE GO TO GEAR?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 11:31:59 PM »
Let me start this out, lets say our problem is rioting in the city and you live in the suburbs.  Now the rioting is spreading toward you. The police and fire departments are overwhelmed.  Theres a curfew and talk of implementing martial law.  Do you stick it out or decide to visit Aunt Alice?  Do you have enough gas, because there are already lines and rumors that stations are sold out?

Ok, Im going to stay in place.  Lets gather the nearby older relatives since that wont require too much gas and we can add their pantry supplies to our stocks.  Meanwhile we're filling anything that will hold water, before the system fails.  When Im picking up the relatives, I'll carry my SIG Pro in 40 S&W with a couple extra mags and perhaps a M4 in the car.  Remember these stops are just to gather the older relatives and I want to avoid contact.

Back at home we have small generator, it wont power the whole house; but its fine for the refrigerator.  The problem is the noise 'screams'--"we have stuff you want".  Its only there for when the power fails. How long we stay put, obviously depends on how bad the conditions get.

It would be nice if everyone in the family had the same weapons, but Id be happy if we all had the same calibers.  That would make logistics easier.  Ive got a few unique calibers that arent readily available, as long as we stay in place I'll use them until my ammo is gone.  If we decide to leave, the exotic stuff gets left behind in the vault, and I'll gladly give up the advantages of 338 Lapua for the availability of 308 or 30-06. 

Offline jsoukup

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 06:21:54 PM »
I always figured on having a good shotgun with plenty of assorted rounds. 12 ga is pretty common, and even if I used up all my buck and slug loads, dove loads would probably still convince someone to stay away from my house. I have just a basic Mossberg 500 security with a 7 round tube which works pretty well for me. I also have a standard Remington 870 with a 28" barrel for backup if needed. If things got really tough, I could hacksaw the barrel if it came down to a life and death situation. I also have an o/u in 12ga with a single trigger and 26" barrels. This is much easier to operate, just pull the trigger twice, it goes boom twice. So it's something I could hand to my wife and say pull the trigger if anyone comes through that door.

I say bring every handgun you have ammo for. Easy to carry.

If I still had time, I'd make sure I had at least one rifle of reasonable caliber.

I might consider bringing my air rifle. After a couple of weeks of eating canned food, those neighborhood squirrels are going to look mighty tasty.

I did have a large rubbermaid box with Y2k supplies. Mostly it was ammo, but I did pack a pair of bolt cutters in there.

Offline EDELWEISS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 06:13:07 AM »
You make some good points and if staying put is an option then I see nothing wrong with a shotgun.  As you say if it becomes necessary a hacksaw will make your long barrels more portable for CQB and such.  During the "Unpleasantness" in Malaysia the Brits discovered that a Shotgun could put more lethal rounds (00, 000, even BB), on target at jungle ranges than a SMG, (that was before MAC's but then I said on target).  Some time ago, when we thought we'd be fighting the Russians in Europe during the "next" war, one of the Tactical planning sessions I attended included scenarios where small teams were armed with Shotguns for CQB/urban combat and backed up by a "long rifleman" and a dedicated grenadier.

My only real concern about the Shotgun is if the situation requires that you have to flee your home.  Then the bulk of shells tends to limit the amount you can transport.  The advantage of being everywhere available may off set that to some degree.  Plus I think the "it'll hit anything in front of it" is a bit over stated, that being said, I agree that my wife,(who wont go shooting), would be better served with a 410 (for light recoil), than any handgun.

Again packing every handgun has advantages only so long as you have transport.  Once youre on foot I think some tough decisions are in order.  Given a 1911 in 45 acp, a Hi-cap 9mm, a 40S&W auto, a 44mag DA, a 45 Colt SAA, or a 357mag DA, to name just a few of the more popular handguns what do you finally choose?  All of these have great advantages and I think some short comings.  Like the man said, "I wouldnt stand in front of any of them", but in different situations each will shine or show its weaknesses.

I truely believe you made a good point about the air rifle.  It has MANY advantages and uses.  Its QUIET and good ones are Very accurate.  We used to shoot asprine tablets for fun.  I never liked the pump type that let you vary the velocity by different pumps as the accuracy fell when the air in the chamber cooled if you delayed a shot.  The single pump type were the most accurate that I found.  I havent handled any of the newer style compressed air types to say for sure but they may have some advantages if you can charge the tank with a bike pump.

It occurs to me that the 22RF may be useful in the same category as the air rifle.  Its light to carry and ammo is compact as well as universal.  Small or frail family members can handle them without fear of loud report or recoil.  In some situations you might wish to display a 22 or air rifle as your only defense, and keep the heavier items concealed in reserve.

MY Y2K supplies consisted of ammo as you suggested as well as batteries, extra can goods, and water stored in milk jugs.  Nothing went to waste.  After the threat was over, some neighbors smiled politely and Im sure smirked behind my back when I  poured the water on my garden, I on the other hand took note of who was going to be unprepared during the next crisis.  Water I think is the single most unappreciated though most necessary supply in any situation.  I no longer keep a large amount on hand, but we still keep a few days worth "just in case"

Offline EDELWEISS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 06:38:08 AM »
If you stay put you have access to your entire arsenal and supplies; but what if you decide or are force to leave home.  If like Katrina the Government is trying to maintain what little control they have, they arent going to take kindly to you running around like Rambo (ooops dating myself), with your M4, atleast not in the open.  I have an Accuracy International 338 Lapua.  Its one of the finest under 50 long range rifles made, but it isnt PC to look at, neither are the M21(dating my self again), and various heavy barreled 700's or even HBAR AR's.  In that situation a plain back woods bolt action or lever deer rifle isnt likely to attract as much attenion. 

Given a government confiscation, "for your protection" no open carry will be permitted, so think small.  I havent handled the folding Keltec's in the rifle or pistol caliber carbines but they have some possiblitities.  The AR7 and Springfield (M7 scout ???), are interesting as well as the various Combo guns that can be broken down.   

We havent begun to discuss any additional gear like tools, radios, shelter, etc.

Any other ideas?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 06:42:58 AM »
Lets face it at some point you will walk if things get bad ! even if you stay put you will leave to gather food at some point !
If you are good at woods craft and have a few basic tools you will be better served than Rambo !
weight is the devil ! a shot gun is the most useful , next a 22 as far as getting food which you must get ! a hand gun is nice but adds weight ! since you are trying to stay alive you won't be attacking anyone and should avoid all contact if possible with those you do not know !
so here goes - a knife a fair size one , a pocket knife or multi tool , Axe , shot gun with at least 200 rounds of ammo , poncho , rope , in cold weather poncho liner , canteen and cup , fork & spoon , pack first aid kit , water pur. pills , food a way to start a fire flash lite , extra socks and cloths , spare parts , mags etc.
optional a hand gun with 50 rounds , saw , compass , radio , cell phone , etc.
if you strike out you should not leave anything that could be used to attack you on return like guns and ammo destory all before you abandon them or sell or trade for what you need , 22 lr bullets will be a hot item as they are good for small game ( face it the deer population won't last long ) and that's what you will eat in the end ! a tool is nice but your brain is what will see you thru. feed it and protect it !
in the end a silenced 22 rifle might be the ticket ! as a shot is a dinner bell in some places !
I lived thru. the roits of the late 60's and early 70's , some didn't have time to pack
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline EDELWEISS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 10:55:47 AM »
Shootall, I agree with several of your suggestions.  The silenced 22 is a fantastic suggestion, perhaps a good pellet rifle MIGHT make a substitute but a real suppressed rifle would be better.  The only alternative I considered was CB caps from a bolt action rifle.  They are almost as quiet as a suppressor, but lack the power of a long rifle round.

I dont suggest that you should go looking for trouble, quite the contrary, all the more so if you have your family in tow.  Even in these relatively "peaceful" times trouble often finds us, and consider what will happen when the "free cheese" is no longer handed out, or worse when the "corner pharmaceutical vendors" are out of inventory.   Thats why I suggest you might want the ability to defend what little you have, with more than harsh words.  When ever possible dual purpose weapons and tools might be worth considering.

Depending on the situation forced upon you, and whether you are able to stay in your home, you might want to have two distinct sets of equipment in mind, one for defense and another for field use.  Things will only be worse if you have to leave your home and you have no place to go.  Wandering, even if you use your vehicle as a home will limit your options, and what you can carry.  Those of us who live in the city or fringes of one,  are secretly envious of the folks that can hunt in their back yard; but I suspect us refugees wont be welcomed in small communities if things get really bad.

If forced to flee, assuming I had a vehicle and fuel, my first concern would be safety.  Hopefully I have enough food for the short term.  Then I would want a reliable combat handgun, the 1911 comes to mind, but only if it works all the time.  I can live with a DA/SA auto and truely I might substitute my 1911 for a SIG or HK in 40S&W.  I never thought I would say this; but an AK or SKS might be a good option.  In the end Id most likely grab my M4.  If space permitted a 700LTR in 308 would be nice.  I would be more that willing to consider alternatives for logistic reasons if my family or "extended family" had large supplies of other ammo or supplies.  If Im forced to move I'll probably pass on a shot gun, especially once I leave my vehicle.  Its just to bulky to carry enough rounds.  Others may choose differently depending on their situation.

I agree a knife is in order, and I prefer a shorter thick blade over a big fighter.  Sure I carried a fighter when in combat, but quickly realized I could carry extra rifle ammo if I had a smaller field knife.  I like the "multi-tools", and have a few of them, they have come in handy many times, from cutting the office birthday cake to making repairs to a stranded HUMVEE in the Gulf.  Cooking gear, atleast a pot large enough to boil water needs to be somewhere on the list.  Tentage has become smaller and lighter than the days of the canvas shelter halves.  I keep a small pop-up in my truck, just cus it was cheap, the happy colors are easy enough to cover with branches most of the time.  I use empty ammo boxes to store Cotton balls (dont tell my wife) and a boyscout magnesium tool for fire starting.  Pre-soaking the Cotton in a flamable also helps, but then I put them in ziplock bags first.

You guys have got lots of good suggestions.  What else?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 03:31:01 PM »
we do agree ! my point was if you are not in shape to carry alot you are very limited !
the glock is light and holds lots of ammo so the 22 coupled with say a glock 21 or 20 might work !i like the mini 30 in stainless , i know 5 round mags , but if alone if you shoot more than a couple times before moving you are a target !you make work what you have ! a 7-9 inch heavy blade can cut a tree for shelter ! but ammo might be more prudent !
now it is apparent you will never carry all you need ! or store enough for a prolonged event ! so some thought may be needed as to how to acquire it , most of which would be illegal and should not be discussed on line or else where as it maybe considered a conspicary to do so ! but a southern general ( Mosby )said ' EXCEPT FOR OUR UNIFORMS NOTHING WE USE CAME FROM RICHMOND , WE GOT IT FROM NORTHERN ARMY STORES now that something to consider !
the 22 offers more ammo types , the tent could be a second poncho !

Offline jsoukup

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 07:03:00 AM »

Given a government confiscation, "for your protection" no open carry will be permitted, so think small.  We havent begun to discuss any additional gear like tools, radios, shelter, etc.

Any other ideas?

Texas just passed a law this year prohibiting the confiscation of weapons during an emergency (inspired by New Orleans and Katrina). With that being said, and having worked in an LE setting, it doesn't always matter what the law says and what you rights are, you are at the mercy of what your local LEO decides when he pulls you over. So you have a valid point. Right now in Dallas on a busy Saturday night, there aren't enough cops on duty, so things like minor traffic offenses are ignored and there's quite a wait for other offenses. Unless there are, "shots fired" there is no immediate response. So if you minding you own business, more than likely, you not going to run into any Dallas police. If you get into a gun battle and there is a major riot, how soon would they respond? Who knows, maybe never.

Speaking of radios, how about a police scanner? I have a basic model that allows my to listen to my local police. Depending on what type of radios your local law enforcement agency uses, you may have to spend $500 to get a digital scanner that will allow you to listen. Luckily, mine uses an old system and a $99 scanner works just fine. There are also weather channels you can listen too as well as fire.

I enjoy listening to mine. If there's something going on nearby, it lets me know to bring the family inside, lock the doors, and keep my revolver handy. It also works great while traveling (if not illegal in your area). I missed a shooting by 10 minutes a couple of months ago. It was comforting to have the heads-up.

I also have a hand-held AM/FM/weather/shortwave radio just for listening to the news and stuff and there's some interesting stuff to listen to on shortwave.

I always seem to have a knife, most of the time, my Spyderco Endura, a pretty good knife. I've also taken to carrying my multi-tool in my car (Courtesy of Les Stroud, aka Survivorman). I have a $30 Gerber model, with a couple of knife blades, scissors, pliers, wire cutters, screwdrivers, file, saw, and can opener. It is a lifesaver. There's nothing like showing up at the deer lease and asking, "who brought the can opener?"

How about a good flashlight? I carry an older inova Xo flashlight everyday for work. It's a durable LED light that fits well in a back pocket. There are all kinds of flashlights. Find one you like and keep it handy.

Here's some good info about flashlights:

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/182189/an/0/page/0#Post182189

Offline m-g Willy

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 10:07:32 AM »
Guns for on the run would be ruger 10/22 with some high cap mag.s and a good 22 auto pistol
You could carry enough ammo on your person to start a war.
Also would have a marlin camp gun in 9mm with some 32rd. mags that would go along with my S&W 5906 that use the same mags
The only change might be is to leave the camp gun and take a AR15 or AK47 instead for longer shots.

Willy

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 05:21:20 AM »
Since I live IN the Inner City, if there's rioting, I'm staying home to protect my stuff and my pets.  I have a dozen flashlights, lots of candles, several radios, lots of spare batteries, cases of water, and enough ammo to hold off the Mexican Army twice.  There's a porch upstairs I can use for recon and trouble-spotting, plus long-range shooting if needed.  A dozen handguns plus a couple shotguns will keep me and my neighbors safe, and I have several scoped rifles if I need to neutralize a threat at any distance. 

Most likely, a situation like that would only last a few days, but even if it went on for a week or two, I have plenty of supplies stashed.  If it came to a bug-out situation, it's a matter of one rifle, one shotgun, one pistol, and all the ammo and food I can fit in my car.  I'm not paranoid, but I don't like getting caught flat-footed, either!

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline EDELWEISS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 12:15:41 PM »
The question of leaving or staying put of course will decide on the situation, and as we have discussed may change at any time.  If you have a place to go, say your "hunting lodge", its probably best if youre atleast somewhat known in the area, as "new commers" and "townies" may not be welcomed or even allowed entry to another community in troubled times.

Making the "Best" of a bad situation might involve two seperate equipment batteries.  One for self defense, using the best "combat" type weapons, and equipment, and a second set of "working" tools for hunting, for use while otherwise gathering food.  In the first AR's and AK's come to mind along with 1911's, Glock's, etc.  Working tools are more akin to hunting rifles, that I suspect fill most deer stamps, and possibly, revolvers, ( no I dont want to start that debate), because of the ability to vary loads in the same cylinder loading.  I will be the first to admit that autos have come along way in reliability, straight from the factory and they are now available in almost "magnum" chamberings, but I think that for optimum advantage when a kill means eating or starving revolvers and true hunting arms shine over battle weapons.

By the same token "Black rifles" will outlast a hunting rifle in the most serious encounters.  Hunting rifles even with extended magazines arent designed for that kind of durability and necessary reliability.  As has been suggested a gunfight should be avoided whenever possible, unfortunately sometimes even in these "peaceful times, trouble often seeks us out.

Just as weapons are tools, and a wrench can be used to drive a nail, a hammer is better suited for the job.  The question as always is having the right tools.  I always carry a Leatherman, but I wouldnt want to have to build a house with it, if I had only thought to bring a hammer and saw.   

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 01:58:10 AM »
At a time when these "tools " would be useful , might not be the time to look like a terrorist , moving thru. an area that you are not known in  might not be where you want to be seen with an assault weapon , you might be a target ! the scout rifle concept might be a better idea , or the old 30/30 might be a good choice . One thing that may be of concern is where you travel , some areas will not allow you to have a loaded rifle on board your vehicle , you may travel out side of the danger area and wish to "store " your gun and a slim rifle stores easy compared to a AK or AR , also it slips from the case easy ! remember people coming out of the affected area will all look alike to those watching ! A guy that didn't want to leave his hunting guns behind for thugs to steal will sound more believable than anything you will use to explain the full auto M-16 , which brings up another concern what can you cross state lines with ?
where you live will mean alot also , a big city and surrounding area is a bad place to be , lots of people who don't know each other , groups will form to protect and others to steal . some may roam to the areas around the city stealing food etc. some will just steal what ever they can ! if the crisis last more than a few days getting out may be the best option !
with that said make sure that you have cash in your kit !

Offline jhm

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 03:13:00 AM »
I lived in Detroit Michigan in 1967 during the RIOTS that were going on, If you plan on staying in your home be prepared for every Neighbor that knows you have firearms to be knocking on your doors wanting to barrow your guns, or asking you do you have any ammo for this and that particular gun, If you are planing on leaving have plenty of cash on hand BEFORE the crap hits the fan as the armoured cars that move money around from bank to bank DONT move, so the banks DONT open, now that was b-4 the ATM machines however most of the machines have a pre-set limit you can draw, and remember if their are any bad guys around they will be watching the ATMs and they will run out of $20.00 bills real quick, we were fortunate that we didnt live in the direct area that was affected but we could see the light in the night skys from the rioters burning their own neighbor hoods, so if you live in a area where you could call it a boiling pot, GET OUT NOW, dont wait there and wonder if today is the day it is going to happen, and yes I know that everyone cant get out so do whatever you can do to prepare yourself for some trouble, remember the neighbor that you have over for a beer every now and then but dont really know might be the one with the tools to come into your home.  Be safe!!!   JIM

Offline EDELWEISS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 01:08:38 PM »
Good points from both of you.  The idea of having a private place to go in an emergency is a dream for most of us.  I only wish I was in the position to have a cabin in the woods, as nothing else I can think of will help if you live in the centre of troubles.  I suppose the next best option would be a relative in a small town THAT YOU VISIT OFTEN.  Even if you are welcomed by your relative, the town folks arent likely to approve of outsiders, especially if they become effected by the "troubles".

I dont suggest openly carrying your AR slung at the ready, but perhaps it could be hidden some place reasonably accessible.  Finally Im not sure I would want a full auto, when ammo supplies are limited.   I do agree that the lever action or deer rifle will appear less threatening, and I for one liked the Scout rifle concept.  The scout rifle may fit into both working and defense batteries.

The question of "friends" coming to you for weapons and ammo, is I think one that only you can answer when the time comes.  Paper money may be worthless or nearly so, plus you may end up arming the group that ends up deciding to take your supplies.  If they are un-armed now, will they have the skills to gather food in the worst of times.  Your stock piles of pantry items will likely be too tempting to pass, just because you used to shoot pool with them after work.  I dont know the answer, but I can tell you that even right now, the thought of that issue is bothersome. 

As a "rule" I try to keep the gas in my truck atleast 1/2 full but, I have "given" in to the "I'll get it in the morning"....  Its rolling the dice, imagine the consequences if you needed to flee and the gas lite was on???  Along time ago, I had a Sargent teach me to always back my patrol car into a space.  He said you have time when you arrive to take the few extra seconds, and if things get ugly you can pull out of there quick.  Im sure some of us keep some type of gear in our vehicles, "just in case"; but I'll admit over the years some/most of the long term and off season stuff has been removed for more hauling space and frequently never gets replaced.   

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 12:57:38 AM »
.22 lr will be a good currency in times of stress . A travel trl. or a enclosed utility trl could work as a shelter as long as your vehicle is part of you plan !

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 11:07:41 AM »
I enjoy these threads, they always make me think and that's a good thing.  There are a couple of things that I notice are blatantly missing:  I went through the topic twice and no where did I see a mention of a simple, nearly weightless FISH HOOK, a bit of line and a sinker!!! :o  No mention of a survival manual or mention of plans to attend survival training.  Plenty of first aid kits mentioned but have you really looked inside one lately?  There is nothing in there of any significant value.  Band Aids, Gauze, tape, those little useless wipes (they aren't big enough to clean much of anything) a bit of Betadine, a little packet of triple antibiotic ointment and if you get one of the better ones, a chemical ice pack and some Tylenol.  No mention of a first aid manual or CPR equipment or mention of getting enrolled in a first aid class.  How about a few traps and a couple of weekends spent with someone who knows how to trap?  There IS a bit more to successful trapping than just opening the trap, setting the trigger and putting the trap on a trail.
Tis my honest belief that the biggest gain for the least investment is preparation! Learn the skills necessary to survive on your own or with just you and family. I've enjoyed teaching my grand kids to make a fire with flint and steel or by "rubbing two sticks together", where to find tinder and how to find dry wood.  We just add these into a fishing trip or a hunting trip.  Nothing long  nor expensive, just an additional skill to learn while incorporating it into what we are doing.  If you happen to believe that these are simple things to accomplish without actually practicing, I believe you are fooling yourself.
There are way too many cows, hogs, sheep and goats that are confined and docile to waste my time trying to feed my family on venison.  You may rest assured that if it comes to feeding my family, I can and will be a successful rustler.
I ramble but I hope you'll bare with me.  A most useful piece of equipment that is seldom thought about is a good quality belt ax or hatchet.  Consider it the multitool of wilderness living, peel yer 'taters, chop your wood, hammer your stakes or build your house with it.
So for my answer to the topic, I don't know.  I'll hunker down here as long as is practical. When it comes time to unass the AO, it is going to depend on what's happening, in my immediate area I'm fortunate that I can house, feed and care for my family and never be seen again if that became the need.  If the area became uninhabitable, I have three methods of travel, highways immediately become distrusted but there are enough backroads to get out of the area. Overland is a possibility, there are adequate 4 wheel drive vehicles that have already been over most of the country side that would have to be traveled.  Then there is my favorite: the waterways!!
Sorry, no time to finish, the newest grand daughter has come to see her Pa! ;D
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline GA1dad

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2007, 03:51:46 PM »
For the sake of conversation,,,,, I'll assume I have to leave my home.

Mountain Bike (maybe) Might be better off on foot if in woods

Quality 3 day backpack ( not too big or small)

Firepower:
.223 of some sort (ammo not too heavy)
45 Auto
Maybe a 22 of some sort

Basics:
Proper clothing
A quality map of my area showing creeks and such
Flashlight and batteries
Some sort of radio to hear when trouble is over
A way to produce fire. Heat can be very valuable.
Knife and Multi-Tool
Folding Limb Saw
Water Purification
A small pot or pan
Parachute cord
Duct tape

Food:
.22 lr  many uses
.223 caliber will take from squirrel to bear
Telescoping Fishing Pole & Minimal Tackle
Aluminum coffee cup and Maxwell House coffee bags ( I know, but I'd hate to have to survive without coffee)

Shelter:
A good tarp
Sleeping Bag or Blankets

The biggest thing for me is gathering my wife and kids. On any given day, we could be as much as 30 miles apart.

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 04:54:51 PM »
Forget the fishing poles guys you wont have time to sit and fish. Think hooks and stout string. limb lines will be your best setup they don't require that sit and wait and you can put out a lot more lines. And don't forget wire snares they don't take up much room and weigh almost nothing. These things will also help you keep a low profile. No need for guns with large mags in a survival situation whether you are alone or with your family you can't afford a fire fight. So keep the guns and gear light weight and simple to maintain and repair. Remember that your biggest threat will be natural element's so plan on that first.

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 06:51:33 PM »
I live outside of town.  There is Ammo, guns, water, food and propane here at the house.
But I would have a pistol on my hip.  the AR loaded with a spare mag, one of the accurate bolt rifles loaded and the Garand would have a few emboc clips on the sling.
As there are a few wineries between me and the main road I'm sure any and all rioting (and I really can't see the yuppies in my town rioting) would stop there or would head for Nordstrom's to loot.
I think the Y2K fears are over.  The only thing we really have to worry about is a mega earth quake and then I'll have beach front.
I have a friend who fuels up every night and keeps a go box with AR, 870, and 9mm with a weeks worth of food.  He thinks there will be a terrorist gas attack and be ready for it.  I do not think any terrorist wants to gas Trulock CA.  LA or the Valley Maybe.
I still think the best bet is to stay where you are and be prepared to take care of your self/ family / pets for a week.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2008, 03:14:52 PM »
FOOD stockpile lots of canned goods, corn ,beans, spam, mre's there isn't going to be a lot available at the local store and if there is the owner may not want to sell it at any price. Water, do you have a source of water near by or do you depend on that shiny thing on you sink? Only after these are attended to do you need to worry about arms and ammo. Unless of course you are planning on using your arms and ammo to get what you didn't put up. Gold and silver are only useful if someone has something they will sell if a man doesn't have enough food he's not going to be selling any of it.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2008, 03:38:59 PM »
A bottle of bleach would be at the top of my list. Drinkable water is one of the things you can't live without very long. After that a good shotgun and slugs, buck and bird shot would be your most valuable weapon for hunting and self defense.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 01:41:17 AM »
if i carry lemon scented bleach will i be able to make lemon aid ?
just kidding , good idea !

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008, 04:27:31 PM »
"if i carry lemon scented bleach will i be able to make lemon aid ?"

:D

I never thought of that, I'll have to throw in a bottle of vodka then I guess too.  ;)
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2008, 04:52:53 AM »
I have thought about this scenario a bit.   In my situation I would try to stay put initially.   If we have to leave I will be sticking to a battery of 22LR arms for my family.    My wife and kids all shoot their 22's quite well and could rely upon them for food.   22 ammo is plentiful and light.  I always have a 4" folder clipped in my pocket.  My son has a multitool and a 3"folder.    My son and I have two backpack's are ready to go....small firstaid kit, microfilter waterpump, water bottle, folding tree saw, windup LED flashlight, windup radio, plastic container with monofilament/hooks/sinkers, magnesium firestarter, sharpening stone, superglue, JB Weld, ponchos, paracord, DEET, 500 rounds of 22LR, 50rds of CB's and 20 rds of 22 shotshells.   
My daughter and wife have Savage bolts, my son has his Ruger 10/22, I carry a Ruger Mkll pistol, my wife a Taurus 94.  On my belt I have Cold Steel Kukhri with a 12" blade.     

If time/space  permitted I would also sling my Mossberg 500 and stow two boxes of shells in the pack.   
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline Bigbuck

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2008, 10:46:33 AM »
Stay home (I live in the mountains) = Every friggin gun I own stationed at various locations throughout the house.  My primary "carry around everywhere I go" guns would consist of my Bushie AR15 (16 in barrel), my Kimber Custom .45 and a decent sheath knife (I've got a Gerber that I like real well). 

On the road (if I need to go to grandmas house) = The Bushie, my Glock 23 and a 12 Ga pump in the vehicle.  Each family member has a BOB with enough food to last a couple of weeks with conservation (more with supplemental hunting and fishing).  For the most part....I don't see needing / wanting to leave where I'm at unless the "misadventure" was very localized.

Offline Rusty Phillips

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2008, 04:42:41 PM »
imo - if you are living in an area that you have to evac from you are already behind the 8 ball.... save yourself some headache, sell your house & move now, before the dust up.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2008, 01:41:56 AM »
Rusty , if everyone followed your advice then wouldn't they be right back where they started ?

Offline Rusty Phillips

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2008, 06:46:24 AM »
Rusty , if everyone followed your advice then wouldn't they be right back where they started ?

but the unfortunate truth is that a very small % of people even care to think about "what ifs"....   even fewer still will make some half hearted attempts to prepare....   these people will still be leaps and bounds ahead of the majority who will be helpless refugees.

but I still maintain that those who are "bugging out" will be at tremendous disadvantage vs. those who (for whatever the reason may be) are able to "bug in".

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2008, 09:07:34 AM »
you are right ,