Author Topic: 25-06 ULTRA  (Read 956 times)

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
25-06 ULTRA
« on: September 17, 2007, 04:26:55 AM »
over the weekend i bought a 25-06 ultra, w/ a simmons 2.5x10x50 on it.
have not seen the rifle yet just pic.'s  is this scope ok, have never owned a simmons?
what hind of tricks do i need to know about the 25-06 ultra, or just start burning powder,
have plans for this to be a yote gun.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: 25-06 ULTRA
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 04:34:35 AM »

Congrats on the new Ultra...

I have owned a bunch of Simmons scopes...Most got traded off...and the rest went into the trash...

Is the gun new or like new...? Either way...clean the bore completely...I use Barnes CR-10 and a foaming bore cleaner...Clean the action out completely...Flitz the barrel & chamber if you find any rough spots in it...Sand the barrel channel out of the fore arm so the only contact you have is the bottom of the barrel screw lug...remove all the oil from the barrel shelf,chamber,bore when you get to the range...and shoot it...Then let us know how it does for you...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 04:50:09 AM »
I'll do that MAC, the person i bought it from says it may have never be fired, or not much.
i was kinds suspect of the simmons but had been told they were good for the money
(what ever that means) Have been wanting a set or Lam. stocks and had been thinking about a 25-06 for yotes and deer, so you see i just could not pass.
Rex

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 05:15:39 AM »

I agree...and wish you all the luck in the world with it...The only Simmons scopes I ever had any real luck with was the Atec's...most of the others went belly up for one reason or another...Some folks have had real good luck with their's...I haven't been as fortunate..I've found on all of the 25-06 Ultra's I have owned ( I'm on #5 now  ;) )...they all have shot the Combined Technology Lubalux coated bullets exceeding well...I have some of their 85 gain Silver ballistic tips to try out after deer season...but right now I am using the 115 grain bullet and doing quite well with it so far..all groups are about the same...2 in 1 hole...the next just a little off from it...and well under 3/4"...Post a picture of yours when you can..

Mac

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 07:39:07 AM »
Simmons, Bushnell, and Tasco, to name some of the better known, "less expensive scopes" have come a long ways in just a couple years, trying to compete for that market for a scope that will get the job done, and be affordable to those who don't want to spend money on a premium grade scope.

I've had good luck, so far with Simmons and their latest entries in their Master Series, such as the "eight point" have been dependable and hold their zero.

You shouldn't have any problems with the light recoil of the 25-06!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 07:51:05 AM »
The wife gave me two Simmons scopes one year for my birthday.  Both were the 44Mag model, cheap and just something to put in the stockings.  One bit the dust on my Handi 30-06, motorcycle wreck.  The other got put on my TCR/.338 Win Mag.  Been there for four years now and holding up to the heavy recoil just fine.  I would like something a little brighter, but it's not bad enough to cause me to change it out.  It's a 3X9 and I'm comfortable enough with it to make 300 and 400 yard shots.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 08:09:00 AM »
My 25-06 was not an ultra but like Mac's the third shot was a little "off".
Mine had a Simmons 3-9x40. Very cheap but works fine.
I still have the scope.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 08:21:38 AM »

Heck...there was a time when all I could afford was "paying attention"...and really liked when I could buy a rifle with a scope already on it...I am thankful I don't have to be that way any more...

I haven't heard all that much good on the "new & improved " Simmons Master series...and don't really see a need to spend good money on them...not with all the good sales going on with the Nikon's and Pentax scopes...and all the new makes & models coming out now...It's a wait & see game who can offer the best value/quality/for the money these days...! thing for sure...you gotta love competition ;)

Mac

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 09:20:27 AM »
Rex, my 25-06 Ultra does the same thing as Mac's, two close together or touching, then the 3rd a little out making a 1" group or so, does it with 115gr Federal Nosler Partitions and 117gr Hornady BTSPs, haven't shot any handloads in it yet. ;)

I can't say anything bad about any of the Simmons scopes I have, they're all top of the line Aetecs, Whitetail Expeditions and Whitetail Classics, with the exception of the 2-7x32 Pro-hunter on the 45 Colt.  All have worked fine for me, but the one thing they all have in common is they're older scopes that were all made in the Philippines, not PRC. I've also got a 2½x20 8-point shotgun scope, but it's never been used yet, just mounted. MSP was impressed enough with his the he owns more than one of em, so they may be serviceable too.

Tim

http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh/brand.html#simmons
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 11:10:26 AM »
Tim:   That link you posted was from 2003 the best I can figure, and from what I understand there has been some significant changes made at Simmons starting around 2005.

One change I know of is the 44 mag isn't produced anymore, and I know it was a good scope because a relative has one and swears by it.

I doubt that the low end scopes can even come close a little bit to some of the mid range optics that are available, but what seems to be happening is they are trying to produce a decent product for those who can't afford a much more expensive scope.

Seems that I've read quite a few favorable reports, from people who actually have some good ones, and a lot of people who no longer own a Simmons, or never have, who are bashing them.

I do know they have a pretty good guarnatee, and will replace it if it fails for you!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 11:19:21 AM »
The older ones that Ken refers to in that thread are the ones that I have and trust, it's the new Master Series that are made in the new Chinese plant that have had problems, I've read several threads on various forums by unhappy MS owners about them that aren't glowing.  :-X

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,88290.msg533082.html#msg533082

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 12:34:51 PM »
My 25-06 was not an ultra but like Mac's the third shot was a little "off".
Mine had a Simmons 3-9x40. Very cheap but works fine.
I still have the scope.

Oh well!    I guess when it especially comes to scopes, your going to get what you pay for, but so far I've also been lucky about 4 times with the Simmons.

In answering Rex's question of "is this scope ok" well I would have to say shoot it and see if it is!   It's a cheap scope, and they can be good depending on what you are expecting from them.

As long as you have a clear sight picture, and it holds zero, then yes, it is "OK"!

Offline rbergum95

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Theres no luck in lead unless it's flyin'.
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 03:59:12 PM »
congrats on the new ultra. the .25-06 is great on deer and DEVASTAING on yotes. while my .25-06 is not a handi (something i plan to rectify) i have shot quite a few deer with the 115 gr partitions and combined technology BST's handloaded near max. not one deer had traveled more than 10 yards yet. and on yotes i shoot hornady 75 gr v-maxes loaded to about 3500 fps. as long as your not selling the hides this bullet is incredible. good luck gand good hunting.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 04:31:44 PM »
I have 2 25-06 Ultra's and they are both good shooters, they have the reputation of being a very accurate round and as has been said pack a good punch with little felt recoil. I have a few Simmons scopes and they have done well by me, the best have been my Whitetail Classic (WTC) 6.5-20x50 for varmints and reaching out for coyotes on my .223 Handi and my Simmons Red Dot on a .22 Mag coyote gun with a survivor stock for snowshoeing in for coyotes in the winter in Maine. I just returned from a trip to Maine with the .22 Mag and I tried a Millet Red Dot and after I got it sighted in at the camp it seem to work fine but I missed the large (30 MM?) size of the Simmons Red Dot. I think the 6.5-20X50 WTC may get moved over to a 25-06 for a bit longer range...My wife has been mentioning to me that I should clean out the gun cabinet a little so I may be reducing inventory in a while by eliminating "doubles" of the same caliber...why can't wives see the need of 2 (or 3!) of some things?....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 04:33:16 PM »
Hildy has a great handload for the 25-06 with the 75gr Vmax.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,50415.msg296575.html#msg296575

Offline AKbuilder

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 04:50:29 PM »
My wife has been mentioning to me that I should clean out the gun cabinet a little so I may be reducing inventory in a while by eliminating "doubles" of the same caliber...why can't wifes see the need of 2 (or 3!) of some things?....<><....:)

How many pans or kettles does she have in the kitchen?

I can't see cleaning out the gun safe when she has a closet full of clothes either!

See my point?

Thanks,
Paul

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2007, 12:05:51 AM »
My wife has been mentioning to me that I should clean out the gun cabinet a little so I may be reducing inventory in a while by eliminating "doubles" of the same caliber...why can't wifes see the need of 2 (or 3!) of some things?....<><....:)

How many pans or kettles does she have in the kitchen?

I can't see cleaning out the gun safe when she has a closet full of clothes either!

See my point?

Thanks,
Paul

How about SHOES or HANDBAGS?????

Women have NO REDUNDENCY argument. Its as simple as that!! ::) ;D

God luck winning this one! ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 01:35:15 AM »
It all makes sense to me, it's the wives we have to convince...Thanks for the load info Tim....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Dave Allen

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 04:02:51 AM »
rex6666..congrat's on the 25/06 it's a fine round...as far as the scope try it..if nothing else if it's ok it will work to see how the rifle shoot's..when you get tired of looking down the black circle..you will probably replace with something else..i'm like mac..i used to be thrilled if a rifle came with a scope...now i prefer i little better glass..b.t.w. my hunting-shooting partner has an older simmon's whitetail in 2x10 i think ?? anyway we use it sometime's as a scope to test drive a new rifle..it hold's zero...so it work's for that purpose..he pulled it off his 7x57 a few year's back..because he grew tired of looking thru the black ring inside the tube..good luck to ya !!

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 04:51:47 AM »
like i said, i have never owned a simmons, it comes with the rifle so i will see what it does,
if i don't like it, i know where the nikon store is.
if this rifle will shoot 1" groups at 100yds i can probably live with it, i have a hammer for tacks.
would be really nice to have 2"-3" groups at say 300yds.
My big problem is, no ranges over 100 unless you drive for 3hrs one way or join a club and
i am not sure what they have.
Rex

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2007, 05:11:35 AM »

The Atec's and Whitetail Expeditions did so-so for me...so...I guess they aren't bad for the money...as compared to other similar priced scopes...There was a time when they were considered very good...but...my biggest complaint on those 2 models were their limited eye relief..and edge distortion..and A/O's failing...

Mac