Author Topic: Fender Skirts  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
Fender Skirts
« on: September 17, 2007, 04:51:10 PM »

FENDER SKIRTS?

THOSE WERE THE DAYS!!!!!!!!
I came across this phrase yesterday "FENDER SKIRTS".

A term I haven't heard in a long time and thinking about "fender skirts" started me thinking about other words that quietly disappear from our language with hardly a notice like "curb feelers"

And "steering knobs." (AKA) suicide knob

Since I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that direction first.
Any kids will probably have to find some elderly person over 50 to explain some of these terms
to you.
Remember "Continental kits?"
They were rear bumper extenders and spare tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental.

When did we quit calling them "emergency brakes?"
At some point "parking brake" became the proper term.  But I miss the hint of drama that went with "emergency brake."

I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the accelerator the "foot feed."

Didn't you ever wait at the street for your daddy
to come home, so you could ride the
"running board" up to the house?

Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore - "store-bought." 
Of course, just about everything is
store-bought these days. 
But once it was bragging material to have a
store-bought dress or a store-bought
bag of candy.

"Coast to coast" is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement and now means almost nothing.
Now we take the term "world wide" for granted.
This floors me. 

On a smaller scale, "wall-to-wall" was once a magical term in our homes.  In the '50s, everyone covered his or her hardwood floors with, wow, wall-to-wall carpeting!  Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall carpeting with hardwood floors. Go figure.

When's the last time you heard the quaint phrase "in a family way?"  It's hard to imagine that the word "pregnant" was once considered a little too graphic, a little too clinical for use in polite company. 
So we had all that talk about stork visits and "being in a family way" or simply"expecting."

Apparently "brassiere" is a word no longer in usage. I said it the other day and my daughter cracked up. I guess it's just "bra" now "Unmentionables" probably wouldn't be understood at all.

I always loved going to the "picture show," but I considered "movie" an affectation.

Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure-60's word I came across the other day - "rat fink." Ooh, what a nasty put-down!

Here's a word I miss - "percolator."
That was just a fun word to say. And what was it replaced with?
"Coffee maker."
How dull. Mr. Coffee, I blame you for this.

I miss those made-up marketing words that were meant to sound so modern and now sound so retro. Words like "DynaFlow" and "Electrolux." Introducing the 1963 Admiral TV, now with "SpectraVision!"

Food for thought - Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago? 
Nobody complains of that anymore.
Maybe that's what castor oil cured,
because I never hear mothers threatening kids
with castor oil anymore.

Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list.  The one that grieves me most "supper."
Now everybody says "dinner."
Save a great word.  Invite someone to supper. Discuss fender skirts.

Someone forwarded this to me.
I thought some of us of a "certain age" would remember most of these.

Just for fun, Pass it along to others of
"a certain age"! 
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Fender Skirts
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 06:08:27 PM »
I member all but foot feed we called them foot pedals tho. It's still supper at my house.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 09:02:41 PM »
Much as I hate to admit to it I remember all of those words, plus I'm 5 yrs older than Graybeard.  :o

Gun Runner

Offline magooch

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 01:38:32 AM »
Oh, oh, I must be "of a certain age."
Swingem

Offline Pike

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 03:03:29 AM »
Those phrases bring back alot of memories. We still use the term supper at my house.

Pike

Offline jhm

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 03:23:38 AM »
Alot of food for thought,  At the SUPPER table of course!!   I like all of that.   JIM

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 04:25:04 AM »
Remember well.  I bought my first new car while stationed at Sonderstrom AB, Greenland.  That is, I bought the car in Washington, D.C., and paid for the car while in Greenland.  That was 1957, the car was a 1957 Ford, Fairlane 500, convertible complete with continental kit and fender skirts, white with a blue interior.  I didn't pick the car up until mid 1958 after completing my assignment at Sonderstrom.

I was assigned to Barksdale AFB (Shreveport, LA.) when I returned from overseas.  Two other Airmen at Barksdale owned cars exactly like mine, we all stayed in trouble, being accused for what the others did. 

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 05:19:58 AM »
   Hey !

Don't forget the coon tail on the antenna..  Chopped & channeled..dechromed..shaved hood..suicide doors..alcohol instead of "permanent" antifreeze..
   "louvers"..musical horns..and rumble seats..

The  "wing windows" and "vents" on either side or top of the cowling..that let air literally "blast" through the passenger compartment..then came "Astro-ventilation"..which actually means, "we saved a couple bucks by dropping the vents and wing windows"..

"Cinemascope"..coming to the "drive-in" theatre that is..not restaurant..with "carhops"..

Marijuana & illegal drugs were only used by certain movie stars & big shot musicians..

Leather jackets ..worn by the "rebellious" types..

DA haircuts..as opposed to my own crowd, the "crew cut" types.. Hair styles were a "statement" back then..

TVs were either round screen or like a wheel with a flat on top & bottom..and Faye Emerson made the folks gasp..with her "plunging necklines".

..Ans at least 60% of the guys (and some of the girls) in my high school were hunters..At least 1/3 of the guys I went to school with had some
    experience with trapping..for extra cash.

Most of us did our swimming in a river, creek, lake or pond..

One or two popular "swimming holes" known to everyone in every small town..usually had a swing-rope hanging from a tree..

Most girls were "good girls" with one or two "bad girls"..both pretty tame by some of today's standards !

Not much loitering around the streets during early morning hours..for we farm boys, after a days work in the fields;
  ..a swim , perhaps a movie..then a welcome, well earned sleep ..

For a time, we were kept away from swimming on "dog days"..until the cause of Polio was solved..

Memories..the screech of a locust in midsummer heat..while popping tar bubbles in the road with bare toes...

Roasting corn "borrowed" from a field (field corn) near the old swimming hole..

Halloween; lots of pranks..no destruction..

Ah memories !
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 10:49:02 AM »
And remember the dimmer switch used to be on the floor and you had to make sure it was on low beam if you met a car and had to depress the clutch pedal while changing gears.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 02:54:23 PM »
 Almtnman;

Although the dimmer switch is in a handier location...I still depress the clutch..in both my car and truck...LOL

I've been driving since 1953 and have usually had two vehicles continually, trading each every 3rd year or so...

Of all these, only ONE had  automatic transmission ..and I didn't keep it very long ! ..LOL
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 12:05:41 AM »
Hoop skirts, bobby socks, pony tails, penny loafers, zoot suits, sock hops, wild root creme oil, plain ol 30W or 40W oil, the bop---alas---these too shall return as retro's.
Blessings 
TEXAS, by GOD

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 02:02:27 AM »
  Wm..Wild Root Creme Oil ?...did you use "that greasy kid stuff " ?  ...LOL 

Remember, "that greasy kid stuff" was the line they used in ads to introduce it's replacement..don't remember what that was, however !

Offline magooch

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 04:02:25 AM »
Ironglow, you and I think alike.  I still like to shift for myself.
Swingem

Offline jhm

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 03:11:51 PM »
And I almost forgot, I loved the smell of Brylcream at least 1/4 of a tube to do your hair!!  Even though the commercial said a little dab will do you,   JIM

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 05:49:53 AM »
Don't forget the "Berma-Shave" sings along the highway..............

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
    • The Mountain
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 07:37:31 AM »
And the "See Rock City" signs on top of old barns.....
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 08:19:46 AM »
leg pipes , RT-66 , when a browning ment an A5 , foot starters , foot dimers , we had to roll down the window , dome light , blinker not turn single ! and you could hear it !
wolfs head oil ! Ethel gas ! 105 octane ! white walls ! reverse chrome mags , triple chrome plating !
cooties !
pedal pushers , clam diggers looked the same !
short shorts not hot pants !
greeney stick-um caps ,
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
    • The Mountain
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 01:16:44 PM »
And moon hub caps.....
and Oldsmobile flipper hubcaps....
AMM
The Mountain

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 01:55:39 PM »
1950 Studebaker rocket nose, Starlight coupe (had one)

Whole side of a barn shouting "Chew Mailpouch" !

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2007, 01:18:12 AM »
Dang it all---NO, I used butch hair wax, My mother liked wild root when I was real young and had long hair.
Shoot folks I can't remember everything I can remember.
I liked a lot of stuff I can't remember.
I CRS!!
I wish I could remember--but I can't remember what it is I wish I could remember.
You guys do it better than I do.
I do remember what it was like to NOT have A/C in the car and I don't like to remember that.
Come too think of it, there are some things I would just as soon not remember--but mostly I just don't remember in general.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2007, 01:59:20 AM »
  C'mon William;

We didn't have air conditioning..but those wing windows and pop out vents we had did help..

...And the hand choke;

As a young GI serving at Ft Hood in 1956, I was riding with Earl, a fellow GI, in his 1950 Ford tudor...leaving Killeen, heading east..

It seems Earl anticipated the end of the speed limit about  a half mile too early...spotted a highway patrol car clocking us from behind a building.

The constabulary clicked on the red flasher and started after us.

Earl, pulling over..pulled the hand choke out about half way..

When the officer questioned him, Earl claimed his Ford was not running good, "listen to it"..so he was trying to analyze the problem..Earl got a warning but no ticket.

This maneuver must have worked for him back home in Earlham, Iowa...and it worked in Texas...LOL

Not totally honest ..but I don't know if Earl was a Christian..I wasn't at that time..

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
    • The Mountain
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2007, 02:20:08 AM »
ironglow, whoever decided to take the pop out vent windows off pickup trucks must not have know about riding around in one in the Fall or Spring with the window open. I have never liked it when they did away with those little vent windows.
AMM
The Mountain

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2007, 12:49:21 PM »
  You and me too Almtnman...

I think it was a plot ..to sell more air conditioners..

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2007, 01:44:04 AM »
I liked vent windows--still do---wish they still had them.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2007, 06:30:15 AM »
i agree about the vent windows ! but the guy who decided to leave off rain gutters on pick up trucks should be tared and feathered ! must have had money in smart tag , i get drowned when paying a toll ! yea it worked i got the smart tag !

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2007, 09:59:20 AM »
i agree about the vent windows ! but the guy who decided to leave off rain gutters on pick up trucks should be tared and feathered ! must have had money in smart tag , i get drowned when paying a toll ! yea it worked i got the smart tag !
Amen shootall. My 12 year old son may think I'm old but I don't feel that old at 42, and if it makes anyone feel better I remember most of the things mentioned here except for foot feed.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2007, 10:44:28 AM »
Vitalis Hair oil and Old Spice and later High Karate LOL
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2007, 10:48:33 AM »
Exhaust Cut outs and the sparkplugs in the tail pipe trick.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2007, 10:51:45 AM »
saw a guy with the spark plug in the pipe of a diesel , guess history does repeat !

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2007, 04:13:06 PM »
Hey ironglow we may not have had AC , but my dad had a 49 Ford with a Thermador swamp cooler in the window. Looked like a jet engine hanging out there.  ;D

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356