Author Topic: Concealed carry  (Read 660 times)

Offline kysingleshot

• Trade Count: (0)
Concealed carry
« on: September 18, 2007, 04:40:40 PM »
For those of you with your concealed carry licenses, what do you carry in a smaller frame?  Do you shell out the major bucks for a high quality ambidextrous pistol, or do you just learn to deal with the safety and mag release being on the wrong side?  Or maybe you just go with a revolver?  I've looked at this problem ever since I got my license 2 yrs ago, and still haven't found much of an answer.  I really don't want to shell out the money for a Beretta .380, and am thinking of going with the CZ-82.  Does anyone else have a better idea?

A large frame pistol is not really doable for me since I really don't dress for hiding a 92FS.

Thanks in advance,
Michael
Submarines: MANY FEAR THE DEEP, OTHERS EMBRACE IT!

Offline LEO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Concealed carry
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 12:40:42 PM »
The mag release on the "wrong" side is not a problem for me, I just activate it with my trigger finger.  As far as the safety goes, I will not carry a pistol without ambidextrous safeties, the time and stress of trying to manipulate this under stress is unacceptable.  Now if it is double action pistol that has a decocker, that is less of an issue because the only time you will be decocking is after chambering a round, or firing rounds, this can safely be accomplished with the support hand, you have all the time in the world to decock and reholster.  I currently carry a glock and have no issues using it left  handed, prior to that I carried a sig and had no issues.  I am not familar with the CZ-82 so I can't provide input there, I am familar with the Beretta 380 and it is a very large pistol for a 380 there are much smaller  9X19s 40 S&Ws and 45 a.c.ps for that size package.  I have a Kel-tec P3AT and it is very compact, DAO so left hand friendly and is very light it only holds 7 rounds but everything is a tradeoff.  I think I gave about 250 for mine with an extra magazine out the door so while not dirt cheap it is not a real expensive pistol either.  I carried a revolver for several years as a concealed carry handgun, a  S&W 66 or 686 in the winter and a S&W Cheifs Special in the summer they too served me well, however these revolvers are not inexpensive anymore either.  It really boils down to what feels right for you and the big thing is pick one or two and stick with them, if you change handguns weekly you will never achieve proficiency with them,(the changes I mentioned are over the course of 20 years and were dictated by agency policy not preference) for a defensive situation muscle memory is critical and the only way to achieve muscle memory is through practice.  Hope this helps