Author Topic: Black powder Revolver Pre Loaded Cartridge question  (Read 1228 times)

Offline redbaron80

• Trade Count: (0)
Black powder Revolver Pre Loaded Cartridge question
« on: September 19, 2007, 05:17:24 AM »
 ??? I was a member quite a few years back with the NSSA and competed with a 3 band Enfield using the red plastic electrical caps for the loaded cartridges, and understand how the rifle cartridges were loaded and carried in the past, but in firing my black powder revolvers, using a flask,ect., I have never seen any pre loaded Revolver cartridges. I am sure there must have used the same system for loading Revolvers, while mounted, as rifles,just with a smaller cartridge, correct? Loading a six shooter with a flask while mounted would be quite slow. Any links or websites showing the original way Civil War revolvers were carried and loaded with cartridges?
Thanks,Bill

Offline Flint

Re: Black powder Revolver Pre Loaded Cartridge question
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 07:04:38 PM »
Civil War soldiers using revolvers were issued paper cartridges, similar but obviously smaller than the 58 caliber Springfield rifle.  The paper cartridges used conical bullets.  There have been articles on this and other websites on how to make them.  Some make them from cigarette paper, others from other thin papers.  Roll a tube around a proper sized dowel, glue in the ball and twist or fold the paper after charging with powder.

Break open the paper before loading or puncture with a nipple pick through the nipple to expose the powder to the cap flame.

Care must be taken that there are no burning/smoldering embers left in the chambers before reloading.  Civil War cartridge paper or linen was nitrated to burn completely.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline wile326

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 12:34:04 PM »
I use cigarette paper, it is nitrated, will burn completely. I don' t usually tear them or use a nipple prick, because they are nitrated you do not need too, use them in my paper cartridge sharps also and have great results.

Offline Flint

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 07:11:12 AM »
Smokers, note that cigarette paper IS chemically treated.......
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 07:20:17 AM »
Most of my family raised tobacco and i worked in it for years , from the plant bed to the house or bulk barn the tobacco is chemically treated to be sure and most of the chemicals have a skull and cross bones on them ! So don't sweat the paper if the rest don't bother you !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !