Author Topic: Underrated Cartridges  (Read 2074 times)

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
Underrated Cartridges
« on: September 19, 2007, 09:29:25 AM »
What cartridges do you consider the most underrated?  From what I have read, it would be the .35 Whelen, .35 Remington, .358 Win. and the big bore .45-70.   Any you consider and why?

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Underrated Cartridges
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 10:24:19 AM »
7X30 waters , it makes a fine white tail gun ! have shot many with mine and not one has had a bullet not go thru . the largest a 12 pointer ! so it can get the job done , has very little kick !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 10:58:58 AM »
I have a 45-70 and it sure isn't underrated. I think that it will take down anything that walks on the North American continent and probably some fairly big stuff in Africa. I haven't killed anything larger than a whitetail with it, but have shot a few pine trees down. And I had to buy a Limbsaver recoil pad for it as I couldn't take that mule kicking type recoil any longer. If I had only one rifle to hunt whitetail deer with, I think the .35 Remington might be a good choice.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline 35Rem

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
    • Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 11:45:53 AM »
35 Remington is pretty underrated. At least Marlin is keeping it alive.
Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/
Vintage Semiauto Rifles
http://vintagesemiautorifle.proboards105.com/index.cgi

Offline Shooter973

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 11:53:14 AM »
The 30-30 is very underrated. About 90% of my hunting could be done with a 30-30. As well as any need for a defensive rifle or just a fun gun. The 30-30 is very efficient and does a lot better than most guys think.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 12:24:11 PM »
.243 winchester.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 12:42:29 PM »
.243 winchester.

Now I'd put that one in the OVER rated category.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 12:45:32 PM »
How about those that are considered overrated?  It's all a matter of personnel openion.  Take the .35s for instance.  .35 Remington, 350 Rem Mag, and the .35 Whelen.  The .35 Remington is a slowed down version of the other two, and it works in a short action.  The .350 Remington Magnum is a belted magnum, has higher velocity, and recoil.  The .350 also works through a short action.  The .35 Whelen is the ballistic twin to the .350 Rem Mag, but is not belted, and being on the 30-06 case requires a long action.  Each one fills a niche and has it's own following.  Solution: Get at least one of each.  I did, I own guns for all three.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 01:03:59 PM »
If you listen to the idiots that write for the gun rags these days anything old is underated and unapreciated. With the exception of the 45 acp and the 30-06 which is a staple for them and is deserved as both are good cartridges but then so are the  45/70 and the 30/30.  45/70 and 30/30 have been working just fine for well over a Century in the 45/70's case since 1873  and in the 30/30s case since 1894 so both well over a century. Those that use them know they just plain work and that is why they never died out when newer fancier cartridges came along. There are lots of other examples too of the older cartridges that keep doing what they were designed for with out any fanfare. I would guess to some that would make them underated. To me they are all I need though I do use other old cartridges too like the 6.5x55 Swede and the 7.5x55 Swiss.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 01:07:52 PM »
 ;DNow I'd put that one in the OVER rated category. yep

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 01:38:48 PM »
250-3000 and the 260 Rem
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline Dixie Dude

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 01:55:15 PM »
I think the 8mm Mauser is underrated.  Also, the .338-06. 

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
    • The Mountain
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 03:07:27 PM »
To me they are all I need though I do use other old cartridges too like the 6.5x55 Swede and the 7.5x55 Swiss.

One of my rifles is the 7.5x55 Swiss and it's a caliber that will do the job and one of the most accurate rifles I own.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 03:34:16 PM »
To me they are all I need though I do use other old cartridges too like the 6.5x55 Swede and the 7.5x55 Swiss.

One of my rifles is the 7.5x55 Swiss and it's a caliber that will do the job and one of the most accurate rifles I own.

Yep got to agree with the anyone who did not snap one of these up did themselves a great diservice. They are a fantastic rifle and I figure mine will last me my lfetime as all it is going to get is a diet of lower powered Cast loads that will still kill any white tail I see. I Let my C&R license expire so I do not even keep up on any of the milsurps anymore not sure if they still have good stocks of these for sale or not yet.

Offline powderman

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 04:33:26 PM »
Got to agree that the 3030 is underrated. My meat getter, when I'm not using the 4570. I use former wheel weights in both, never had one get away. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 04:40:20 PM »

Got to go with Shooter 973 and Powderman...

For about 40 years the old "thuty-thuty" was good enough to bring down all kinds of big game ..east & west..

Then, along came the magnums etc..and suddenly the 30/30 was "barely adequate"..no longer "stylish" I guess !

My home county just started allowing rifles in the last 2 years..I have a Marlin 336C in 30/30 and the results I have seen with it on deer in these Allegany foothills,
  I don't see how anything would work better.

I may try my other rifles for variety sake...but the  Marlin is just about ideal..even if I get a chance at a black bear some day .
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline superjay01

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 04:48:26 PM »
30-30 for sure. I really like my 257 Roberts too.
Chance favors the prepared mind

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2007, 05:48:30 PM »
.243 winchester.

Now I'd put that one in the OVER rated category.

If I were to rate a cartridge I would agree.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2007, 08:34:45 PM »
I started out with a 30/3o Marlin nice gun but I always prefered the Winchester 94 more trim and I liked the way it fit me better. I sold the Marlin when my Dad died and I got his guns which wound up with my brother (Long story) So for years I never had a lever gun or a 30/30 then a few years ago I dedcided to buy a 94 again that I got reasonable it was a post gun made in 64. It had a peep sight on it which I wanted and the bore was mint as the wood was decent. Now that iron receiver does not bother me a bit and this gun is a joy to shoot with cast bullets all I plan to shoot in it. They will take deer just fine. I now kick my self for not having one in all those years. 

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 12:51:13 AM »
Underrated:  6.5 Swede, 30-30, 35 Rem, 444 Marlin, 7.62x25mm Tokarev, 38 Super.  JMTCW.  Mikey.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 12:52:47 AM »
Ooooops!  Sorry!  Forgot the 7mm Mauser and the 8mm Mauser.  Mikey.

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
    • The Mountain
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 01:17:11 AM »
And what superjay said, the .257 Roberts, one of the best deer calibers around. Now you can't find any of them anymore.
AMM
The Mountain

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2007, 08:41:04 AM »
250 savage
257 roberts
260 remington
280 remington
338/06
35 remington
8mm remington
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2007, 08:49:17 AM »
Two that I think are way under rated are the 32-20 and the .41 mag. In the right hands a 32-20 out of a short rifle will take game up to the size of deer if the shot is close and placed right. And the .41 mag will do just as much as the .44 with the recoil level of the a hot .357

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline Dee

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2007, 09:32:56 AM »
Most all of the the old standard cartridges are UNDERATED, such as for example the 3030.,
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2007, 02:38:15 PM »
An old standard cartridge. That statement also applies to the 308 Winchester. It is not exotic or new.  It is not a new super whiz bang Magnum. It is easy to shoot. It is relatively flat in trajectory. It is common in ammunition and firearms. This cartridge is so common it is boring to some people and therefore under rated.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2007, 02:53:04 PM »
My list of underrated would include the 300 H & H, 8mm Mauser, 6.5x54 (53), and 280 Rem.  All great calibers.
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
    • The Mountain
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2007, 02:54:27 PM »
That reminds me of a young man about 20 in a hunting club I was in. He bought himself one of those whizz bang magnums and paid a small fortune for it. The ammo was $3 a round and he managed to get a couple of boxes along with the rifle. That was around $120 for two boxes of ammo. He used both of them up at the club getting it zeroed in and had to drive about 125 miles to the closet big city where they had a major sporting goods store that sold that caliber. He tried selling the rifle to everybody in the hunting club and no-one wanted it even at a reduced price. He finally traded it in on a nice .270 Winchester.

Sticking with the old standard calibers makes it easy when you just pull into any Mom & Pop store way out in the country and they have plenty of ammo for it on the shelf.  :D
AMM
The Mountain

Offline powderman

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2007, 03:28:32 PM »
An old standard cartridge. That statement also applies to the 308 Winchester. It is not exotic or new.  It is not a new super whiz bang Magnum. It is easy to shoot. It is relatively flat in trajectory. It is common in ammunition and firearms. This cartridge is so common it is boring to some people and therefore under rated.

Cheese

Agreed Sir. If I could have only one rifle, it would be a 308 win for all the reasons you stated. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Pike

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2007, 02:41:01 AM »
 One of my favorites is the Brit 303. All deer that I shot with it only took one shot.