Author Topic: Decision time...  (Read 838 times)

Offline Stuart C.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Decision time...
« on: September 19, 2007, 10:47:34 AM »
Don't over think this.

In an instant, you're in a life threatening situation of either the four legged or two legged variety. Defuse and/or retreat are, unfortunately, not options. You need something that goes boom right now.

On a small lexan table in front of you are:

1.) a 1911 of recent manufacture with three year old mag springs and uncleaned after 300 rounds

2.) a Ruger Blackhawk (sa obviously) of similar caliber

You're equally adept at handling each.

Which one do you grab?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Decision time...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 11:05:20 AM »
I'm not overly fond of Ruger's but absolutely hate the 1911 and don't really trust the .45acp really. So I'd grab by S&W 629 if of the four legged variety or my Glock .40 S&W if two legged. Yeah I know I cheated but at my house those WOULD be the options not the Ruger or the 1911 so it's real world for me.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Almtnman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 11:26:00 AM »
I have been in a life threatening situation and basically couldn't shoot the .357 S&W in my hand drew on the threat. We had received a call about him, but was on him before we knew what happened and I was lucky to get out of it alive. He was about 6 to 7 feet away with a double barrel shotgun with both hammers pulled back and I had got out of the patrol car before I saw he had the gun. It was pointed right at my chest and I figured if I shot first, he would pull the trigger from the .357 hitting him in the chest. After several heavy verbal warnings, he laid the shotgun down. I was on the sidewalk alongside a four lane U.S. highway and every vehicle (18 wheelers included) that happened along at the time when seeing what was going on stopped back a good ways from the scene. Back then I carried first a .44 special S&W and later the .357 S&W, that was before the semi-automatic stage that we have now. Now, my carry pistol is a Sig P-220 .45acp as I have seen first hand experience many times what a .45acp is capable of doing. Then there was the knife incident, but that's another story.

AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Castaway

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »
The closest one.  Unless the 1911 is especially tight and very finicky, it should shoot just fine. Three hundred rounds, even if loaded with Bulls Eye has never stopped or slowed down my Norinco, P-13 or Kimber.  If the magazines worked before, they should work now.  A three year old magazine isn't old and modern springs are very reliable.   As far as the Black Hawk, I'd never feel under-gunned with 6 rounds if the threat was that close.. you could always play Wyatt Earp and conk the threat on the noggin when you run out of cartridges.

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 08:22:13 AM »
The Ruger, cause I'm NOT adept with both.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 08:55:38 AM »
If you did that in Alaska for four leggers... you have a pretty bad chance with both. 

So neither.

The blackhawk in .44mag would be a minimum.  Unless your 1911 is a .460 rowland.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 09:02:48 AM »
I'm not overly fond of Ruger's but absolutely hate the 1911 and don't really trust the .45acp really. So I'd grab by S&W 629 if of the four legged variety or my Glock .40 S&W if two legged. Yeah I know I cheated but at my house those WOULD be the options not the Ruger or the 1911 so it's real world for me.

Hmmm, notwithstanding your distrust of the 45acp, the two choices at my home are Glock Model 30 and S&W 29N.  coincidence?

To the original question, both.  I'm ambidextrous.   ;)

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 09:29:46 AM »
if you took the time to think you are probably dead anyway. Id use the one on my hip
blue lives matter

Offline Savage

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 06:41:42 AM »
In my world any pistol that might be available to me would be as reliable as a mechanical object can be. So I'd grab the 1911. It's highly unlikely I'd have a loaded Black Hawk within reach in the house. BUT, if I did it'd be a .45LC.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Stuart C.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 07:48:19 AM »
Dakotashooter, thanks for the straight answer.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 08:29:08 AM »
RUGER ! no one said the colt had a round in the chamber  in the BH it could be seen ! and i can cock the hammer on either faster than racking a slide !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 06:31:30 PM »
Unfortunately, I've been in several life or death situations. Like Lloyd said, if you took the time to think, you probably wouldn't survive. It's in those cases that you tend to fall back on pure instinct, and reflexes.

Dakotashooter's point is dead on too. A lot of people just aren't proficient enough with a semi-auto when it comes to an actual high stress senario. A revolver is as simple as it gets.

Myself, I could use just about anything, but I prefer a Single action. I know all the arguments about fire power, reloading, etc., but honestly, unless you're in an actual war, or combat situation, those arguments just don't apply. I've personally witnessed several "actual" fire fights, and been in a couple+ myself(got the scars to prove it). I've yet to see anything like whats depicted on TV, or movies. In most of the cases I've seen, very few shots were fired. The worst was when I was shot in my left thigh, and he fired about 5-6 "aimed" rounds from a protected spot while I emptied a 15 round magazine kinda wildly in an effort to exit the area. 15 rounds did no more than 2 or 3 would have. I was just scared to death(19 years old), and basically wasting my ammo, but it saved my life none the less.

Other than that night, I honestly don't think I've seen more than about 3 to 5 shots exchanged combined from either side. It's usually over so quick that unless you're right in the thick of it, you're still trying to figure out what's going on after the shooting has already stopped.

I know that it's common nowdays to carry a semi-auto for protection, but I'll take my tried, and utterly reliable 357 Blackhawk over any gun except maybe a good reliable carbine, or shotgun. I know that within 50 yards, if I keep my cool, I can absolutely finish any attacker with only one of my 6 shots. If the ranges are normal(5 to 25 feet) he's pretty much toast because I'll be shooting instinct(pointing only), and that comes so naturally that reflexes take over, and I know I'll be connecting with my shot before I really know what I've done. That takes us back to Lloyd's point... 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2007, 06:07:07 AM »
You and a couple others bring up good points , although i have not had to fire a shot in a social context i have been uncomfortably close , IE ducking and running and yes fear takes over , that's where training comes in and what you train with is what you need to use IMHO ! I see in print and places like this all the time that the SAA or like is a poor choice , next the revolver was said to be obsolete by a few ! then they started in on the single action auto !
I agree that what i have seen on the streets is nothing like the movies !
when i shot IHMSA i could get off 5 shots at targets up to 200 meters away ( and hit alot of um ) in about 40 seconds with a super blackhawk ! i still shoot SAA hand guns and would also feel comfortable with one , i also feel if you know what you have , what it will do ,and what you can do with it you are in good shape !
REMEMBER A GOOD SINGLE ACTION SHOOTER CAN FIRE A SHOT WHILE OTHERS ARE STILL TAKING UP SLACK IN A DAO AUTO !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2007, 06:41:04 AM »
my revolver. I've used a 1911 in defense of my life they work and work well, not the magic bullet some think but one of the best. I have my Pet Model 28 S&W  I don't use my 1911 for home defence, because my Susan can't clear it fast enough if it jams up . But she hell with her victory model  I don't use my 1911 much any more  but it's been a safe queen I shoot my revolvers all the time 
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.