Author Topic: Ultra Slug or Buffalo Classic  (Read 482 times)

Offline Stuart C.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Ultra Slug or Buffalo Classic
« on: September 19, 2007, 11:10:22 AM »
I can't make up my mind.  Should I be practical and get the 20 ga slug gun because part of my deer season is in a shotgun only state, or should I go for the BC for more fun at the range?
The 20 says "smart, practical, the perfect tool, a 4x4"
The BC screams "home on the range, sharps, strip-miner with a flip-up site, a covered wagon".

I can load the 45-70 and I'm hoping the recoil from the 45-70 can be tamed down to around what? A 12 ga shotgun? Lately I'm getting less and less interested in (ok, more and more sensitive to) recoil.  Are 'hitting the gong' sessions at the range still going to be too much recoil even with the lightest 45-70 loads?

Any info appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline moxgrove

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Re: Ultra Slug or Buffalo Classic
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 11:19:14 AM »
If you stick with equivalent to blackpowder loads, it's a pleasure. That's what I do with the 45-70 these days. If I want a heavy loaded rifle I go to a heavy rifle. I am enjoying just using rolling block level loads . and you know the BC just begs for blackpowder or sub. with lead bullets. These type loads really aren't bad. You could also put a slip on limbsaver for even more comfort. As far as the Ultra Slugger goes, who can stop at just one Handi? ;D
you can get a rifled 20 ga barrel put on you BC frame and make it dual purpose. Well they are pretty similar, but the law is the law

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 12:00:49 PM »
Does your state allow slug gun or black powder or is it slug gun only? I think that would be the decision maker for me. JMHO - F50 ;)

Offline rbergum95

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Theres no luck in lead unless it's flyin'.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 12:25:11 PM »
my question is do you already have a slug gun for deer season this year? if you do then get the BC. if not get the slug barrel now and the BC after season is over.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 12:28:11 PM »
As F50 said, get the one you can hunt with, if both are legal, get em both, just decide which to get first!! ;D

The 45-70 BC can be loaded to trapdoor (blackpowder) levels easily with smokeless powder, dunno about using BP or subs, but the only subs readily available here are Pyrodex and 777, both cost just as much as smokeless and the quantities used are twice that of smokeless to get the same velocity and recoil level.  If even the trapdoor loads are too much recoil wise with the steel butt plate, add a nice slip on leather recoil pad, they look good and really soak up the recoil, I use one on my 45-120 BC with hot loads.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 01:27:55 PM »

Buy 'em both!

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Ireload2

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 02:35:04 PM »
Move somewhere you can hunt with a rifle. Even a 12 ga does not compare well to a rifle past 50 yards.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 02:59:03 PM »
Even a 12 ga does not compare well to a rifle past 50 yards.

Not to cause a ruckus and its in no way personal. But I cant leave this comment be...   ;D ;)

My Ultra 12 out-shoots and out-performs MANY popular rifle calibers out to 150 yards. The newer sabot slugs available today are FAR superior to the old pumpkin balls and "rifled" slugs of days gone by.

It will shoot a ballistic ally equivalent bullet at adequate velocities to surpass many "deer" rifles in energy and accuracy out to about 150-175 yards. No giant hold overs either, I am talking PBR here. CTC accuracy is well under an inch @ 100. There isn't very many 30-30 or 35 rem levers that will do that on there best days. The 12 is shooting a much heavier 50cal bullet at approximately the same velocities, to boot!
One of my favorite inside 100 shells is Remington's BUCK HAMMER. Its a 1.25OZ chunk of lead that is full bore diameter. its attached to kind of a plastic shuttlecock. Making it suitable for rifled barrels. My ultra will shoot 2 shot 1 hole groups at 100. It only opens up a bit more with subsequent shoots. Like I have said here many times, I like large dia, heavy for caliber bullets. It don't get much bigger than our own 12ga!!

Here is a 3 shot group. The bottom hole is a double.

Remington's ULTRA CORLOKT shells shoot just as well but group about 2" higher. Making the Ultra 12 a dead on shooter @ 150-175 yards.

If you have missed the advances in slug hunting technology, you really should look again. Your missing out on some REAL performance!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline whiteoper

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 04:07:35 PM »
I can comment only on the recoil of the 45-70.  There is lots of load data floating around to load pop loads for the old girl using Unique or Trail Boss.  Recoil wise the 45-70 can be anything the reloader, boolit caster wants it to be.
Roscoe