Author Topic: H&R model 088  (Read 1943 times)

Offline burch

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
H&R model 088
« on: September 19, 2007, 11:51:33 AM »
H&R M088, 12ga. 3"  mod.
  My nephew is just dying to hunt and has this model shotgun that I gave him a few years ago. I was wondering if it could handle some  OO Buck.  I`ve been baiting the hogs up for bow season and was going to take him with me when the gun season opens.  I need some opinions on what to expect with a heavy load and what you folks might recommend on a brand name load.

Thanks to all,
                  Burch
God bless the fine men and women of our military

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: H&R model 088
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 03:22:24 PM »
The gun will handle the loads fine if your nephew will. I suggest some "Tactical" 00 Buckshot in 2 3/4" length, they kick less and should do the job on a hog if kept within reasonable distances. Shoot the gun on paper to see if he can handle it and how it patterns. I would suggest if possible 2 3/4" 000 Buckshot or ideally some Dixie Tri-Ball loads or their hard cast slugs, they would be my FIRST choice for hogs....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 04:58:34 PM »
Why not a foster style slug? Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 01:15:33 AM »
They will work but I think they may be a bit soft for a large hog, especially if the shot was less than perfect and you hit a large bone. Perhaps a more solid style cast slug such as a Brenneke would work OK also. My thoughts about the Tr-Ball or hard cast Dixie slugs were stated "ideally" if he used the shotgun. These are my feelings and beliefs, not the only ones out there I am sure. Others out there who are much more expierenced at hog hunting than I would probably have other ideas and I welcome them to join in and help this memebr with his question. I have only hunted hogs once and that trip we used our longbows and my buddy carried a .44 Mag as a backup ...<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 03:51:09 AM »
I have used 3" slugs in this gun before and it handled them fine.  Make sure you have a recoil pad on it because it does kick, maybe add a little weight in the butt stock.  I haven't hunted hog before but I think the 2-3/4" would be fine.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline burch

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 02:48:00 AM »
What`s the process for adding weight to the stock and I do thank you all for the load info. Do you recommend a specific brand for the OOO buck.
God bless the fine men and women of our military

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 04:06:18 AM »
You can pour some BB's down the bolt hole in the stock to add weight. Not fancy but it works. I have a 088 barrel on my shorty, it is cut down to 20.5" I can't tell you how a full length barrel would pattern with buckshot but it doesn't shoot well in mine. Maybe due to the short barrel?? My shorty does shoot slugs well though, especially at 50 yds. and under. I use it as a close cover gun though so for me that's perfect. One thing is for sure though. With buckshot or slugs the thing kicks hard. I would have him shoot it and see if he can handle the recoil.

Spanky

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 04:39:07 AM »
Buy whatever 000 buck you can find, Remington, Winchester or whatever and try it from your gun, each guns seems to have it's own preference for ammunition....<><....:)

Offline dumgunny

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 06:54:42 AM »
   I vote for the Rotwiel/Brenneke 2¾' 7/8 oz RIFLED slug (not the sabot type) They are very accurate out of every shotgun I have, and, after witnessing what they will do to Grizzly bears while bumming around Alaska, I don't think a Hog will be a problem, and I KNOT a deer hit in the vtals will be no problem at all.