Author Topic: Overrated Cartridges  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
Overrated Cartridges
« on: September 19, 2007, 01:54:16 PM »
Ok, What Cartridges are overrated with too much hype that other existing cartridges can handle?  I think the .308 Marlin for one, maybe the .307 Winchester.  I also think the .17 rimfire is no better than the old .22LR

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Overrated Cartridges
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 02:40:34 PM »
.243   ;D

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 03:19:53 PM »
I think I'm going to step on some toes.  I think the 7mm mag, and almost every Weatherby cartridge, .264 Win Mag, 8mm Rem Mag, are way overrated.  Each of these cartridges ballistically duplicated an existing round at the expense of excessive muzzle blast, recoil, and short barrel life.  The 7 mm Mag in standard 22" or 24" barrels are only fractionally faster than the .280 Rem at the SAME pressures.  The Weatherby rounds are effective against other rounds only due marketing and bullet speed, thus energy levels for advertisement.  They are not any more effective than other rounds in the same calibers.  The same with the .264 Win Mag as the 6.5 X68 existed and will duplicate it ballistically.  The 8mm Mag is no different than the 8x68 S.  Why, oh why, do American hunters insist that having a belt on the cartridge make it a better killer, more accurate rifle, and the end all, beat all of best, round for a caliber.  It is proven that bottleneck rounds that headspace on the shoulder are more accurate than belted rim cartridges.  I have not found a single redeeming quality of a belted rim case over a standard bottleneck one.  This is just a throwback to the .375 H&H that was used in double rifles and bolt actions with the same loadings.  It is still a classic cartridge but the 9.3 x64 nearly equals it ballistically with similar results and in a standard length action.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 03:26:40 PM »
Any of these new short mags which to me is just duplicating  the same cartridge as a longer one  in a shorter throw action. To me that is no improvement ballistically as your duplicating a longer cartridge. Of course I am a fan of older tried and true cartridges. The only mag I have is a 22 mag anything else standard cases will do me fine.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline powderman

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 04:36:28 PM »
Any of these new short mags which to me is just duplicating  the same cartridge as a longer one  in a shorter throw action. To me that is no improvement ballistically as your duplicating a longer cartridge. Of course I am a fan of older tried and true cartridges. The only mag I have is a 22 mag anything else standard cases will do me fine.

GOTTA agree there. I think most mags, especially the short mags are a waste of time and money. I'll get by with my ancient calibers. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 05:19:45 PM »
ALL Magnums belted or unbelted short fat long fat or other wise.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 05:46:57 PM »
It is not relevant how a cartridge is "rated", AS LONG AS THE AMMO/COMPONENTS ARE AVAIL. It only matters what the performance is & does it suit your needs. I couldn't care less how a cartridge is rated, that is not how I choose one. This broad brush stuff about all mags being good or bad or all standard cartridges being good or bad make no sense.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 07:50:04 PM »
Like I said before it's a matter of personnel openion.  Some say the 30-30, .35Rem, even the venerable old 30-06 are obsolete.  My only use for the 30-30 and .35 Rem is as pistol cartridges, they are good for that.  But the 30-06 happens to be my favorite rifle cartridge period.  So it's a matter of perspective.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 08:27:37 PM »
well sourdough they are not too shabby in rifles either  ;D More deer have been killed with the 30/30 then any other caliber. You can add a bunch more with the 35 Remington and they keep on doing that job well today still. Not knocking the 06 it is a fine caliber and one that as far as I am concerned will do the job most of these magnums are trying to do.

Nomosendaro it pretty much to me is like the guy who loves the magnums would probably drive a caddy or some car like that He wants what he figures is the biggest and the best in his opinon the guy who shoots a standard caliber wether it be older or newer knows that caliber will just keep doing what it was intended to do just like the chevy or ford he drives. Now I know that is still broad but so be it. I can see reason for some of the mag cartridges I never said they were all bad but I think this short mag craze is only for the ammo companies to sell more ammo and the gun companies to sell more rifles. Nothing wrong with that if ya want to buy them but all they are doing is duplicationg an other cartridge that already does a fine job. Which I know had been going on since cartridges were first invented. All I am saying is why bother reinventing the wheel.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 01:00:32 AM »
Overrated:::::  OK, all the WSM cartridges and all the RUUM cartridges - buncha hooey for a few feeet persecond.  Now, gettin' personal:  the 223/5.56, the 308 (and all lever derivations), and the 45-70 (ya'll may notice how ammo makers had to go through three different levels of power before they thought the cartrdige  was sufficient for dangerous game but this is just my opinion.....).

Pistol/revolver ammo: overrated - anything in a 'Plus P' rating; the 40 S&W, the 45 GAP, the 9mm (+P).  Mikey.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 04:26:18 AM »
BINGO!! Nomsendero, go to the head of the class.  These broad brush statements make for exciting discussions but they sure leave truth bleeding on the floor.   ;)

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 04:55:26 AM »
It is not relevant how a cartridge is "rated", AS LONG AS THE AMMO/COMPONENTS ARE AVAIL. It only matters what the performance is & does it suit your needs. I couldn't care less how a cartridge is rated, that is not how I choose one. This broad brush stuff about all mags being good or bad or all standard cartridges being good or bad make no sense.

Well said, if it works for you, who cares what others think. It is all a matter of opinion anyways.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 07:17:40 AM »
Totally agree with Nomosendero, Beemanbeme, and Redhawk 1.
While I definitely like certain cartridges for certain uses, how do we define "overrated", by whom, and why would I care?  All relative.... overrated is more about the "rater" than the cartridge.  The cartridge is what it is.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 07:23:59 AM »
like was said, any of the short action magnums,  and even more a waste of time, energy, and resources is the 460 and 500 smith and wesson. 

Offline Dixie Dude

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 07:35:13 AM »
The .460 SW can handle .45 LC.  It would be a little more versatile.

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 08:43:17 AM »
243 winchester
7mm rem mag
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 09:15:57 AM »
I think opinions on overrated cartridges are overrated.   :D :D :D
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 09:30:47 AM »
The .460 SW can handle .45 LC.  It would be a little more versatile.
...as well as the 454.  still overrated hype.

Offline Dee

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 09:35:14 AM »
I think that ALL CARTRIDGES WITH THE WORD MAGNUM AFFIXED TO IT are over rated. And as mentioned earlier, all these new SUPER GO FAST 17s. I'll stick with the 22, and what it is good for.

And I think that Cement Man's comment has some validity.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 11:41:32 AM »
I think opinions on overrated cartridges are overrated.   :D :D :D

You may be right,but I still put what I thought was overrated down.JMO
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 12:22:40 PM »
.243   ;D

There are so many who don't appreciate the .243 as a big game cartridge, how could it possibly be over rated?  Under rated IMO as I see it as a fine cartridge for medium game.......

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 12:52:49 PM »
If by medium game you mean bigger than a Pdog and smaller than a coyote, I'll agree.  I'd even include these 100# deer we've got around here as the locals routinely pop them with .223's and .222's.   ;D (assuming a cool and careful hunter with precise bullet placement)

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2007, 01:03:53 PM »
I'm pulling up a chair,cause this is going to get shall we say very interesting!

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2007, 02:21:25 PM »
Mikey,

Are you saying the 308 Win is over rated? Why is that? I am curious.

Over rated does not mean useless, just pumped up by media hype a little to much. In my opinion, the 460 and 500 Magnums are the most over rated of all over rated cartridges.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2007, 03:59:46 PM »
The .270 Winchester, the 7mm Rem. Magnum, and all the new short magnums.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2007, 02:13:25 PM »
All cartridges have their nitch, and are great within that nitch.  The problem is when people try and take them out for game that is outside that nitch.  The late and great Frank Glasser, a real outdoors man, could afford the latest and greatest guns the manufactors put out.  He got a .220 Swift.  The .220 was great for Dall Sheep, Caribou, and Moose, in Franks hands.  It was murder on Wolves, on out to 300 and 400 hundred yards.  Frank thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, till he had an up close and personal encounter with a Grizzly.  Frank kept pumping rounds into the bear and ducking behind trees, the bear kept getting up and running around the trees to try and get him.  After quite a while of dodging the bear and shooting, making hits every shot, it finally ended when the bear laid down and died.  Frank decided the .220 Swift no longer met his needs.  Now in my openion it was slightly overrated to and by Frank, before the encounter, but not afterwards.  The .243/6MM Had a buddy take it Caribou hunting for his daughters to shoot Caribou with.  The kids killed two Caribou, one shot each, at under 100 yards.  Both girls made neck shots, and the damage was tremendous.  Vertually all the neck meat was so blood shot it was lost.  The next year the girls were shooting a .308, and told to make boiler room shots.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.