Author Topic: I have a ?  (Read 1113 times)

Offline dispatch 510

• Trade Count: (0)
I have a ?
« on: September 20, 2007, 12:20:31 PM »
I have heard for years that you could shoot a 45 acp out of a 410. Is there any truth to this? Thanks for reading

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: I have a ?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 12:38:56 PM »
.451 out of a .410? it would be a very tight fit!!! I would not think so. I used to hear the story you could shoot a 45-70 out of a .410, it turns out not to be true also(.459 out of a .410, even a tighter fit)....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 03:26:23 AM »
.45 Colt can be fired out of a .410 I think. Not sure though.

Spanky

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 03:33:11 AM »
I think the general misconception here is based on the fact that many .45 Colt/.410 barrels have been made by folks like TC and perhaps NEF and others. If the barrels are properly constructed it is possible to do just that but don't go assuming you can use a shotgun barrel to fire centerfire handgun rounds. Use ONLY barrels made for and clearly marked for such use.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 01:52:02 AM »
Even if it were possible to shoot centerfire handgun ammo out of a standard (non-rifled) .410 shotgun I would think it would be extremely inaccurate.  Try throwing a football without imparting any spin on it and you will see what I mean.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 05:26:19 PM »
I think that GB is right and Brett too. NEF made that particular barrel in the past and might still make it I don't know but it had rifling to shoot the 45 colt accurately plus shoot the 410 shell too. Never thought it would be very accurate though myself.
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline gould

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 12:40:11 PM »
Thats the 45/410 survivor witch they still make.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 01:07:34 PM »
The Survivor 410/45 is factory available on an SB1 frame in nickel or blued, has a rifled barrel with a removable choke tube that is removed when shooting 45 Colt in it. The barrel only comes with a bead front sight and isn't drilled and tapped for a scope base, some that have installed a scope base or sights have got fair accuracy with them.  ;)

Tim

http://hr1871.com/Firearms/ShotgunsAndRifles/survivor.aspx
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline dumgunny

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 10:51:11 AM »
The .45acp ctg headspaces on the case mouth, so it would likely slide all the way to the front of the chamber on a .410 if it would chamber at all. The .45 colt head spaces on the rim.
  We used to shoot 2½" .410 shells in my Dads old Trapdoor Springfields, but its not really what I call a safe practice. We has lots of split cases as I recall.
   I used to have a "recipe" for a load that involved taking a 3" .410 field load and cutting the crimp out and dumping the shot, then seating a .357dia 158gr bullet inside the shot cup, effectively making it a sabboted slug they were for use in the Contender barrels and would develope around .38 special velocities, but .410 rifled slugs will do about the same thing and can be suprisingly accurate from a full or modified smoothbore c .410 barrel as well.
Just My 2¢
GD

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 11:03:49 AM »
As DG said, the 45ACP would likely just slip into the chamber of the 45/410 well beyond the reach of the firing pin, the rim diameter of the 45ACP is the same diameter as the body of of the 45 Colt.

Tim

http://ammoguide.com/?catid=33

http://ammoguide.com/?catid=30

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 01:48:12 AM »
  Assuming that the .410 in question is a smoothbore..what advantage may be gained by using .45 colt ammo ?

Good .410 slugs fairly potent medicine, esp Brenneke .. 111 gr @ 1755 fps. Not as heavy a slug as the Colt, but a good deal faster..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 07:43:33 AM »
Would someone please explain to me how those .451 -.456 slugs (possibly jacketed 230 grain military ball ammo) swage down to .410 without harming the barrel or choke section of a most likely full choke .410 shotgun barrel?....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 08:02:52 AM »
  MSP;

I know what you mean but I personally, don't have the answer. I heard that claim since I was a kid but I'll let someone with more expertise on that particular phase of the subject provide an answer.
  We know it is done, since the NEF "Survivor" does just that..

Shotgun slugs can be shot through a "full" choke, simply because the raised "rifling" flattens down some by causing the ridges to deform into the grooves..

Does a plain lead .45 colt slug "swage" down a couple thousandths ? ...Dunno..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 08:19:14 AM »
you are comparing apples and oranges , the bore of the shot gun is .410 the chamber is larger about the same size as the 45 colt which has a bit larger bore . so where a 410 shell will work with a 45Colt if the chamber is made long enough a 45 Colt in a 410 shotgun is a different animal ! a very dangerous animal !

I don't know but I'll pass on that experiment ! Can you imagine what that 45 slug is doing in the forcing cone ? wonder if you would see a pressure spike ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 08:50:56 AM »
 Perhaps the shotgun barrel is bored slightly oversize in the 410/45 survivor and the .410 would be very sloppy with .410 slugs and a very "open" bore for shot ?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 08:55:41 AM »
I wouldn't draw conclusions based on the Survivor 410/45 Colt since it has a rifled bore and removable choke tube. ;)

Tim

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 09:09:46 AM »
the wad would take up the slack !

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2007, 09:21:14 AM »
I might shoot a 2 1/2" .410 out of a 45/70 but I would not try to shoot a .45 ACP nor a .45 LC out of a .410, just a disaster waiting to happen if you ask me....<><....:)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2007, 09:23:13 AM »
don't believe i would shoot any410 shell if the case/hull walls were not supported PERIOD !

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2007, 10:07:17 AM »
I do not have a Survivor.  But from what I understand and my own conclusion is the following.  The survivor is a rifled barrel with a choke tube that is attached for use with the .410 shotgun shells.  I would assume that the barrel is bored for the .45 Colt since it is rifled.  This would be overbored for the .410 shotshell which wouldn't be a problem.  Are you acquainted with Little Skeeters?  They are a chamber adapter which allow you to use smaller shotgun shells in your chamber.  I have an adapter which allows me to use 20 ga shells in my 12 ga.  They have a good explanation on how well they work on their website.  They claim that the barrel choke affects the pattern more than the size of the shell/adapter IE; shooting a 12ga or a 20ga down the same barrel will give you about the same pattern, acknowledging the fact that the 20 ga has fewer pellets.

It appears that Browning bought the Little Skeeter company.
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/accessories/detail.asp?value=025J&cat_id=114&type_id=39329

Here is a review that doesn't give them a lot of credit.  But I don't think anyone is taking the Survivor skeet or trap shooting.
http://www.shotgunreport.com/TechTech/TechnoidArchive/17-Feb-04.html

Does anyone have a Survivor barrel they can slug and let us know what is going on in there?
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"