Author Topic: limited run of M7600 carbines in 308  (Read 2346 times)

Offline CaptOnion

• Trade Count: (0)
limited run of M7600 carbines in 308
« on: September 20, 2007, 06:25:58 PM »
Grice Wholesale has a limited run of 308 carbines coming in early Oct.Anyone here planing on ordering one?

Offline 35Rem

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
    • Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
Re: limited run of M7600 carbines in 308
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 03:45:05 AM »
I had to look. What's with that acronym name? QWAC? That's almost as bad as Toyota's Racing Development (TRD or Turd, if you will)
Maybe this one is intended for the Aflack Duck?

http://www.gricegunshop.com/specials/PDFs/REM%20SPECIALS%202.pdf
Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/
Vintage Semiauto Rifles
http://vintagesemiautorifle.proboards105.com/index.cgi

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 03:50:26 PM »
....What's with that acronym name? QWAC?
It says right in the ad: Quick Woods Action Carbine.   Not what I'd pick - Madison Avenue at its finest I guess.   ::)

Offline Mike103

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 03:49:58 PM »
Ugly

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 07:41:00 AM »
I kind of like it.  It appears to have a non-reflective surface, and a stock and forearm you cannot hurt.  I would not spend the money on the 10-round magazine all it does is get in the way.  The finish around my magazine well is just about gone from my sweaty hand carrying my 760 close to fifty years.  And the .308 will do the job on deer and black bear. 

I know those who love gloss will hate it.  But in some States we actually have a lot of sunny days during deer season.  And I always have to wear a pair of sunglasses to protect the eyes from the flashes off somebody’s glossy stock.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline CaptOnion

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 02:45:13 PM »
Ugly

I don't like the stocks either,but they can be changed.

Offline Mike103

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 02:58:16 AM »
True but I'm not a 308 fan. Not that the 308 does not do the job. I sold a 25-06 7600 because it had the ugly gray laminate stock. What a mistake. Should have bought the walnut stock and sold the laminate. I used the cash to buy a 7600 in 257 Roberts but so far the accuracy is not there. MIKE.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 06:14:12 AM »
“IF” I had such a rifle with a synthetic stock and did not care for the paint job, I would simply paint it a flat gray, green, or brown. 
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline tomzuki

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 06:36:20 AM »
I think that you have missed the point of this offering.  A .308 with a detachable 10 rd box magazine option is not intended to go hunting.  It simply is an offering by a major gun manufacturer to argue that not all military caliber REPEATERS are subject to government regulation.  We need more of these as examples of exclusion from any "Assult"definition of firearms.  Here in the "Republic of California"  I have seen a pump action AK style carbine offerd in 7.62 x 39 mm.  Seems to confuse the PROGRESSIVES about their own definitions of assult style weapons.  With a limited run of 500 we need to support this with purchases.  Of coarse I may not "import" any firearms without a California FFL, and dealers here charge too much to use their licenses, so getting one of these is impossible for me.  More power to you all, dont waste it!
Tomzuki

Offline Mike103

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 11:16:49 AM »
I think that you have missed the point of this offering.  A .308 with a detachable 10 rd box magazine option is not intended to go hunting.  It simply is an offering by a major gun manufacturer to argue that not all military caliber REPEATERS are subject to government regulation.  We need more of these as examples of exclusion from any "Assult"definition of firearms.  Here in the "Republic of California"  I have seen a pump action AK style carbine offerd in 7.62 x 39 mm.  Seems to confuse the PROGRESSIVES about their own definitions of assult style weapons.  With a limited run of 500 we need to support this with purchases.  Of coarse I may not "import" any firearms without a California FFL, and dealers here charge too much to use their licenses, so getting one of these is impossible for me.  More power to you all, dont waste it!

How much do they charge? Here it's 20-30 bucks.

Offline tomzuki

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 08:06:59 AM »
Private party transfer are illegal.  Dealers know this and charge accordingly.  Last time I checked, about 6 mos. ago I bid on a Rem. 788 on Gun Broker my local shop wanted $250 to import and transfer a used $300 rifle.  Seems greedy to me, but most all of the good gunshops have all gone out of business.  Wal-Mart, K-mart and all the large sporting goods chain stores are bared from  firearm sales here, so these guys are all that remain!
Tomzuki

Offline superdown

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 01:30:24 PM »
I like it thats why i am ordering one . I have been waiting for them to come out with a 308 carbine length barrel besides it makes no sense to me why they only offered it in the 30-06.A long action carbine ::) that pretty much defeats the whole idea of a carbine plus i gave my mom a ss ruger compact 308 for mothers day a couple of years ago let me just say this the 1deer and 2bear that have been taken with that rifle did not die any slower than the game ive taken with my 325wsm. I am just tired of carrying a full size rifle in the alpine areas when it's pointless. superdown

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 04:20:03 PM »
...I have been waiting for them to come out with a 308 carbine length barrel besides it makes no sense to me why they only offered it in the 30-06.A long action carbine ::) that pretty much defeats the whole idea of a carbine...
Don't expect to see any difference in the size of the rifle with the .308 chambering - the action lengths are the same, only the magazines are different.  Since the .30-06 is more powerful than the .308 and the guns are the same size - offering the carbine in .308 makes no sense from a practical standpoint - excluding the current popularity of the .308 that is.

Offline superdown

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 12:18:03 PM »
were can i get that information?
the action lengths are the same, only the magazines are different.[/quote

Offline The Gamemaster

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 03:47:35 AM »
...I have been waiting for them to come out with a 308 carbine length barrel besides it makes no sense to me why they only offered it in the 30-06.A long action carbine ::) that pretty much defeats the whole idea of a carbine...
Don't expect to see any difference in the size of the rifle with the .308 chambering - the action lengths are the same, only the magazines are different.  Since the .30-06 is more powerful than the .308 and the guns are the same size - offering the carbine in .308 makes no sense from a practical standpoint - excluding the current popularity of the .308 that is.

Actually the action length's are not the same between a 30'06 and .308 Winchester.

That was the whole purpose of the .308 in the first place, to shorten the action in military rifles.

And for a .308 being more powerful - someone needs to go back to school - because out to 400 yards there is less than 15 yards difference between the point of aim and drop of bullet and how far it will shoot.

The muzzle speed and downrange trajectory are almost identical.

The price of a new clip - if you can find one, is usually around $35 - $40!
Most of the ones that I have seen and own were poorly made reproductions of an original.
Here is your one chance to purchase a factory made 10 shot clip for a .308 / 760 - 7600 rifle.

A 7600 is not a machine gun and was not intended for rapid fire.   I am sure that the people at Remington saw that other manufacturers were producing AR 15's and other semi auto rifles and that they were loosing profits.

Since they did not want to get into military style rifles and wanted to stick to hunting rifles, this idea was the next best thing.

Since most shots in Pennsylvania are less than 100 yards at a whitetail deer, accuracy is less important than a quick follow up shot.  Pennsylvania has been and always will be the #1 state for the sale of the 760 / 7600 Rifle for that very reason.  Since Grice Gun Shop was in the heart of deer country at one time - they hold the sales record for number of Remington pump action rifles sold and will get the majority of the ones produced for this model.

I believe that Remington finally saw the light and came out with a model that they think people will want and will buy in large numbers.

Most of their other special offerings - with laser etched stocks and receivers are sitting on the rack.  Nobody wants them because they depreciated in the value of the firearm when they butchered the stock and receiver with the laser.

Since the sale price of Remington firearms has gone up by as much as $100 since the closing of Winchester, Remington has not kept up with the times.

They brought back the Model 1100 shotgun, because they realized the big mistake they made when they changed the design.  I believe that if they ever want to get back into the sporting firearms business that they will also have to bring back the model 760 with the high gloss RKW finish walnut stock.

Return the quality and accuracy standards to pre 1980 levels and most hunters will buy them again.

Offline Mike103

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 10:14:27 AM »
Gamemaster, Go to the ATF web site and look at the production numbers for Remington. They beat all others in both rifle and shotgun production by far.

The 7600 is a niche rifle. East coast woods rifle for the most part. They sell in PA because of the no auto rule and in other states because some prefer a pump over a auto. Whenever these specials are offered they sell quickly. I have bought several and am very pleased with the quality for a $500 dollar rifle.

I hear all the time that quality control and customer service are declining at Remington but I do not find that to be the case. I own 19 Remington shotguns and 5 Remington rifles with another on the way. I shoot my guns a lot especially the shotguns and have been very pleased. When one gun needed repair Remington turned it around in less than one week.

Some of these specials offered by Grice's don't float my boat. Especially the ones with engraved stocks. But they keep offering them so someone must like them.   

Me I want the 25-06 and 6mm offered again with walnut stocks.

MIKE.

Offline 760 Nut

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 12:28:34 PM »
Gamemaster,

The .308 action is the same as the 30-06 in the 760/7600. The only difference is a spacer in the magazine.
It is NOT unethical to shoot at running deer. That's hunting!!

Offline DeerMeadowFarm

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2007, 02:07:36 AM »
Gamemaster,

The .308 action is the same as the 30-06 in the 760/7600.

Exactly!

Can anyone post a picture of this carbine here on this thread? The Damn firewall at work won't let me view Grice's anymore; it comes up as a "restricted site due to content; guns and bombs" ::)
"Aim small, miss small"

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 03:15:25 AM »
Not really. The only way to get to it so it seems is in PDF format and you can't grab an image from PDF. It is UGLY for sure especially with that 10 shot mag in place but then it's all a matter of what one wants.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline NYH1

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 07:10:04 AM »
I emailed that rifle to my friend last week when I came across it.  He put a deposit down on one.  He loves the 7600's.  He currently has one in 270 Win. and 30-06 Spr. both with rifle length barrels and wooden stocks.  He liked the QWAC.  He does a lot of still hunting and likes the shorter 18 1/2 inch barrel.  He also liked that the QWAC doesn't have the wooden monte carlo stock so it will work better with the iron sights that he likes to use while still hunting and the stocks aren't going to get beat up like the wooden stocks will.   

I have to be honest.  I'm a huge 308 Win. fan.  I thought long and hard about getting one myself.  I really don't need one though.  I already have a Winchester model 88 308 Win. and a Marlin 336CS 35 Rem.  I'm going to hold out and hope for another run of 7600's in 35 Whelen.  Or at least try to find a nice used one when I have the extra money to spend.               
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"