Author Topic: Anyone see "cannonmn" videos on you-tube?  (Read 1072 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Anyone see "cannonmn" videos on you-tube?
« on: September 20, 2007, 10:54:51 PM »
Hi I'm new to forum.  My biz is springfieldarsenal.net, and we sell inert ordnance and militaria to collectors online and at shows.  We've been collecting, restoring, and shooting cannons for years.

If you want to see us shooting various antique cannons, howitzers, mortars, anvils, and a couple of rockets, we have about 30 videos uploaded to you-tube under username "cannonmn."  Just put "cannonmn" inthe you-tube search block and they will all come up.

Current restoration projects include a 9" Spanish bronze mortar and bed.  9 old Spanish inches equals 9.5 of our inches, so I'm looking for 9.5 inch mortar balls.  Anyone have a spare 9.5-inch spherical mortar shell mold I can borrow?

The mortar and bed weigh over 2500 lbs. together.  The powder chamber is huge, looks like I'd need about 6-8 lbs. for a full charge.  Let me see if I can post some pix here.

The mortar tube was cast in Seville, Spain on August 19, 1784.  It is in excellent condition, apparently having been fired little.  The bed is bronze also with wrought iron/steel hardware on it.  The bed had walnut inside the bronze sideplates, so we're restoring the wooden parts so we can shoot it.

<center>
<a href="http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/cannonmn/miscforumsetc/forums2/9inchmortartube178402.jpg" target="_blank">
[/url]
<a href="http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/cannonmn/miscforumsetc/forums2/9inchmortartube178403.jpg" target="_blank">
[/url]
<a href="http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/cannonmn/miscforumsetc/forums2/9inchmortartube178404.jpg" target="_blank">
[/url]
<a href="http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/cannonmn/miscforumsetc/forums2/9inchmortartube178407.jpg" target="_blank">
[/url]

<a href="http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/cannonmn/miscforumsetc/forums2/9inchmortartube178410.jpg" target="_blank">
[/url]
</center>

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Anyone see "cannonmn" videos on you-tube?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 06:08:52 AM »
Welcome to the board.  Your videos have been featured here more than once.  We have njoyed them.

Actually you don't need a 9.5 inch ball. Allowing for proper windage you need 9.262 diameter mortar shell.  Dispite the fancy computations, I still don't have one for you.  Bowling balls are too small.

Hanf in there one of the guys here will figure out what to use.

What is the diameter of the powder chamber?  The recommend charge would be  2 oz per inch  bore size of Cannon grade powder.  In the case of a mortar the powder chamber is the bore not the part that holds the ball.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 07:45:11 AM »
Thanks for info, I guess windage on mortars is somewhat subject to interpretation.  I've heard from some NSSA mortar shooters that they try to reduce windage to an absolute minimum in order to get consistency so they can do well at the Nationals at Ft Shenandoah.  I wonder what windage they are using, does anyone here shoot mortars at the NSSA Nationals?  Is there a minimum windage prescribed for mortars in the NSSA rules?

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 08:05:00 AM »
Keep in mind that the shooter at Ft Shenadoah are match shooter going for extreme precison.  So like target rifle shooters they tighten things up. I don't recall there being a N-SSA specified windage.  But for casual shooting not needed.  Wiindge allows the loading of shot that isn't perfectly round in fouled bores and allows blow by to keep pressures down.  It is a safety feature.  The fellows at Ft Shenandoah are also using reduced loads with those tighter projectiles

Just keep in mind if you reduce windage you increase pressures.  When you deal with cannon pressures you are dealing with a much bigger Genie than black powder rifles or pistols.    You miust refine your loading techiques.  You must ring guage shot and meticulously clean the bore to eliminate interference.

I don't know if you are familiar with Matt Switliks The More Complete Cannoneer but if you dont have it, I strongly recommend you get it.  Some real good information in there about black powder pressures especialy when using powder other than cannon grade.

Offline lance

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 03:13:00 PM »
Welcome to the forum. i've seen your videos, like them too. if memory is correct? one of them is of the Lovely Tanya firing a mortar.............. darn! can't remember a thing about that mortar ;D ;D ;D
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline rifleshooter2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 03:29:56 PM »
Welcome to the forum. i've seen your videos, like them too. if memory is correct? one of them is of the Lovely Tanya firing a mortar.............. darn! can't remember a thing about that mortar ;D ;D ;D

There was a mortar in there ?  LOL

Andy
Save Legionville

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 04:42:06 PM »
Hey,

I have seen "cannonmn" videos on you-tube. However, I was unable to find the video of "How to pick-up and load a cannon in a VW bug"..... :D  :D  :D  :D

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 11:57:08 PM »
>I was unable to find the video of "How to pick-up and load a cannon in a VW bug".....

Hey, don't laugh, when I first started collecting cannons in the 1970's that's exactly what I was driving, it was a VW superbeetle.  I picked up two sizeable cannons in it, both gunades.  Ted Fitler and i did some struggling to get a 4-foot, 400?-odd pound gunade into the right front of the vehicle, where I had removed the passenger's seat to make room.  That particular gunade, which I still have, came via trade from Fort Pulaski, GA.  with NPS paperwork.  It had been found on Hutchinson's Island, SC., in the 1930's.  It is marked P 2 pr., and B&P, for Bailey and Pegg, a major London founder of iron guns. 

The other gunade I got on Cape Cod, MA. from a gun dealer, who helped me load it into the same VW.  He had gotten it from a Army helicopter pilot who spotted it lying on a beach in Vietnam, then landed alongside it and "collected" it.   I still have that one, too.

I later found the very interesting National Geographic article from the 1930's or 40's with a title something like "Pirate fighters of the South China Sea."  There are some great pictures in that article showing local junks armed with gunades and Mauser broomhandle pistols to defend themselves against the local pirates.  The article also depicted the gunner's tools and ammo.  One round I remember was a sock filled with some kind of langridge or grapeshot.  The boat captain was ready to sock-it-to those nasty ole' pirates, that's for sure.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 12:06:18 AM »
re:  The article I mentioned.  Just found out it is in the June 1946 issue of Nat. Geographic.  Here's one for sale if someone wants the original.  Believe me the pictures are worth it.  It is worth going to a library that has this issue if you don't want to buy it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NATIONAL-GEOGRAPHIC-CHINA-PIRATES-WOEMS-US-NAVY-1946_W0QQitemZ140028845417QQcmdZViewItem

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 04:06:42 AM »
>I was unable to find the video of "How to pick-up and load a cannon in a VW bug".....

Hey, don't laugh, when I first started collecting cannons in the 1970's that's exactly what I was driving, it was a VW superbeetle.  I picked up two sizeable cannons in it, both gunades.  Ted Fitler and i did some struggling to get a 4-foot, 400?-odd pound gunade into the right front of the vehicle, where I had removed the passenger's seat to make room.  That particular gunade, which I still have, came via trade from Fort Pulaski, GA.  with NPS paperwork.  It had been found on Hutchinson's Island, SC., in the 1930's.  It is marked P 2 pr., and B&P, for Bailey and Pegg, a major London founder of iron guns. 

cannonmn,

Look familiar ??

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 04:08:56 AM »
Oops Double post. Note to self, No posting before Coffee..... :-[

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 04:33:41 AM »
No s--t!  What a coincidence, it must have been that exact logistical operation you were writing about!  Yup that's the piece, precisely.  I'm surprised you still have that B&W picture of it.  Small world huh?

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 04:40:01 AM »
No s--t!  What a coincidence, it must have been that exact logistical operation you were writing about!  Yup that's the piece, precisely.  I'm surprised you still have that B&W picture of it.  Small world huh?

Yep, one of my memories as a child. At least one of them that stands out the most.....  :)