Author Topic: Model 70 Safety Problem  (Read 2143 times)

Offline Doc Lisenby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Model 70 Safety Problem
« on: September 21, 2007, 11:43:02 AM »
Had a custom 300 Win Mag brought in yesterday with a problem which maybe some of you may have seen.  I don't remember seeing it but the guy who bought this one is SOL as far as I am concerned.  The original price from the guy he bought it from was around $3000.
The complaint he related and I verified was the safety couldn't be put on the safe position without using undue force.  I had worked on a lot of Model 70's when they were popular for National Match Course shooting.
I found that the "customiser" had taken off too much metal from the sear and trigger and the distance produced wouldn't allow the safety to be rotated to the safe position easily.
Anyone else seen this or anything like this in the Model 70 Win.?
Doc
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Model 70 Safety Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 05:23:11 AM »
I bought a used 70 from someone on one of the broker sites.  The seller stated that a Tubbs titanium firing pin had been installed.  The safety was very hard to move from safe to fire.  I played with the trigger but could find a setting that was light but safe, so I put a Jewell trigger in it.  Trust is now and the safety moves easily.  Would an after market firing pin contribute to the safety issue?

Offline Doc Lisenby

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 09:14:22 AM »
Well, I believe that a Jewell trigger would solve this problem, but I think the custom rifle maker should be responsible for repairing this rifle.  There is a small difference in where the safety will be enabled to go from safe to fire and backward but one must take the bolt apart and that requires removing a pin in a blind hole and then you might have to replace parts which are getting harder to obtain.
I suppose one of the after market triggers would solve the problem.  I told him to return the rifle to the rifle custom maker.
Thank you for your comment.
Doc

Offline bustedknee

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 07:12:08 PM »
I have a pre-64 with a "sticky" safety.  I asked around and 2 different gunsmiths told me it is quite common on the older guns as they wear.  They advised me to find a gunsmith that specializes in model 70's.  A smith familiar with the safety can fix the ball-detent system (with a worn spot) in just a couple strokes of a small file.

It is tough to find a good gunsmith around here.  I think I will take it south and ask around.

Offline Doc Lisenby

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 11:12:49 AM »
Thanks "Knee".  The pin that holds the safety in its recess is in a blind hole and I don't know where I could get a replacement for certain.  I couldn't bring the site which is supposed to be the source for Winny parts up on my computer.
I am not going to take any more Winchesters in my shop for repair.  The parts offered in Numrichs are out of sight in price and a lot of them are listed as limited in supply and or not available.  There are some retired machinists and tool makers who could make a living making obsolete parts out there somewhere who could make obsolete/obsolesent parts and other gun parts but they are out fishing or doing something fun.  I can make some of them, like a pin, etc.  I  may find enough time one of these days.  Why don't some of you guys contract with the Chinese or other sweat shop people to make odd parts?  I have seen a lot of gadgets as well as parts which need to be on the market.  I suppose that you would need good quality control to ensure they don't contain lead or else you could get in trouble like the toy manufacturer did. You would have to make sure they aren't patented tho'.
Doc  (I'd stay away from some parts which could endanger shooters if poorly or incorrectly made..)

Offline mudstud

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 02:19:41 PM »
Doc,
I'm not a gunsmith, but did you try Winchester for parts?  Just to verify, I just now downloaded the Winchester parts catalog.  Go to www. winchesterguns.com, click on services, and then click on Winchester parts catalog.  As far as I know, parts are available for Model 70's from the manufacturer.  Or is this a pre-64 action?

Offline bustedknee

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 08:28:43 AM »
I'm no gunsmith either, but I'm pretty handy around the shop (Electronics for 33 years).

I can generally figure out what it is supposed to do and why it ain't doin' it.

I got the firing pin out but never got around to removing the set screw then seeing what happens from there.

I need to find time to sit down with a small vise and proper tools and see if I can figure it out.

This is a 1950 model 70 so I expect to find some worn parts.

I bought it for the action.  It has a ported Shilen 338mag barrel on it.  And the original stock.  Someone sanded the checkering off and butchered-on a recoil pad.  I did a refinish job and it is a fantastic piece of wood.  It got several complements at the range.  They just don't put wood this nice on factory guns anymore. 

It wanted to shoot into 1 hole!!!!  So I guess it will remain a 338mag (I just need to repair the safety... or get it repaired).

Any info anyone comes up with, I will appreciate.