Author Topic: Self Defense gun on Travel???  (Read 1100 times)

Offline hobbyist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Self Defense gun on Travel???
« on: September 21, 2007, 05:26:11 PM »
Wasn't sure where to post this question, but since it is self defense related I thought this place may work.  Sorry if it is the wrong forum....

I need to take a break from life and I am thinking about taking a ten day long driving trip around the country.  I was thinking about taking a couple of guns for self defense and wasn't sure about the laws and implications if I get stopped.  The guns I had in mind are an AK47(7.62), a 10/22lr, and a USP 9.  I have a concealed carry license in VA, and although I haven't planned my route yet a couple of states in route will probably reciprocate with VA.

Any thought on where I can lookup the information or anyone has good information on the subject?  All help is appreciated....

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Self Defense gun on Travel???
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 05:48:25 AM »
Here is a good place to start.  http://www.handgunlaw.us/  Packing.org is no longer available due to Mr. Solomon's becoming unavailable due to life changes. 

I think what you will discover is that under certain conditions it is impossible to stay completely legal while traveling as there are just too many variables in carry laws state to state.  This leaves you with a decision.  Do I go unprotected?  or  Do I allow discretion to rule my decision?

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 03:04:10 PM »
hobbyist.  We have a fifth wheel travel trailer, and have traveled over much of this country.  I am a rock hound, and go to many out of the way places where a gun in necessary for protection from both two and four legged animals.  Thru my experience I would strongly advise against taking an AK, or any assult type rifle.  A shotgun is mak be OK as long as it meet the standards of a hunting firearm.  AS for the pistol, it depends largely on where you plan to go.  I would check the laws of the state to which you intend to travel FIRST.

By the way, we spent a week at Waynesboro, Va two years ago, it was spent with a metal detector at a Civil War Site where we found three mini-balls and part of an old metal button.......I plan to go back.

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 11:45:09 AM »
Hobbyist, Rockbilly has given you solid information, taking any assault weapon into any jurisdiction for protection is inviting trouble from the authorities, if not jail time.  While I do not have any sound answer for your question I would recommend that you be careful with using your "gun-rights" as it is awfully easy to loose them.

J.T.
"Things will get done little by small."  ---  Joseph J. Venturo Sr.  ---  Joseph was my father-in-law, while he was not a formally educated man he certainly and without doubt was a very smart man, and a man who loved his children.

Offline EDELWEISS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 02:53:01 AM »
When it comes to what an LEO, a States Atty or ultimately a Jury might say Im all about my guns looking "friendly".  Years ago I read a suggestion that handguns with model numbers played better to a jury than names like "PIT BULL". Can you imagine this......."ladies and gentlemen the defendant before you used a gun proudly named after a vicious animal that tears apart helpless children".........  Your attorney will object but the jury will still have heard it.

That being said you still have to survive to reach that point, so how about a lever action, perhaps with a scout scope or a SxS shotgun.  I wouldnt want to stand in front of either and both want play traveling psycho out to harm the citizens of our state...  I cant help you on the reciprocity issue and I doubt most uniformed officers will even think your out of state carry permit is valid in their state.  The Peoples Republik of Maryland doesnt recognize any out of state permits and NJ doesnt even allow out of state LEOs to carry hollow point ammo.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 04:57:17 AM »
well it will depend on what direction you travel , north of VA. can be tuff if you stop or stay for some time .
Last time i checked fed. law says its ok to transport a gun for legal purposes as long as it is legal where you start from and at your destination . That said some states might not see it that way and take your gun knowing the cost of recovery is more than replacement . In most cases you will need to case and lock guns separate from ammo .
some states limit mag. capacity and others type of ammo ( no hollow points ) . Washington D C limits everything !
some states require bolts removed from gun while transporting
the others are correct if you look like a sportsman you might fare better than a Rambo type .
AND NO LIFE AIN"T FAIR !
The only place i travel without a hand gun is WDC and Canada , it locked up until i stop for the night in states that don't recognize my permit .
some states feel a loaded mag. and a empty gun = a loaded gun , be careful !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 12:24:41 AM »
My wife had long wanted to drive to Maine . . . until she found out what all the state laws were like in New England (esp. Massachusetts & New York). We wound up going to Colorado instead. Head South or West. They are much friendlier.

Of the guns you mentioned, I would only consider the USP 9. The AK will only be trouble. I carry either a S&W 57, or 66. Both have night sights, and both will handle most critters and creeps I might need protection against. Plus being wheelguns, most folks don't consider you a Rambo type. Perception.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Chilachuck

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 03:53:47 AM »
The USP9 looks like a good handgun, and is likely the best bet of what you have to choose from, though I agree that a revolver would be better due to perceptions.

The AK is "too scary" due to the news media foolishness. If you can trade it out, I'd say a beat up pump shotgun rigged sort of for hunting or a lever action carbine for the long gun.

The 10/22 is not a good idea, unless you plan on protecting your ice chest from raccoons or stray dogs.

Offline targshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 02:57:37 PM »
A pistol is the most regulated firearm in the United States, with assault types being the second most regulated now. Both have state and even local laws applied over Federal. A hunting style shotgun is the least regulated. So, if you must go armed, I would recommend one of these.

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 04:20:48 PM »
I have traveled and lived about every region of the lower 48 except the northwest and California. I had a 20GA H&R /NEF youth model shotgun with nylon sling sling I modified t hold 2 rounds near the butt end of the sling, and one of those elastic ammo carriers on the butt. I bought it new and kept the receipt with other important papers you need for me that was title to the old girl(my homemade van camper) and other important papers. But with the receipt you have proof where you got it. For 12 years I was a boomer traveled to the jobs stayed till they played out or I got tired of the area.  even thought it was one shot at a time one wants to be the one you empty it in to just use good sense . no hand guns no buzz guns  and no criminal .

Sorry I got windy
Foggy
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 02:33:49 AM »
Around home there is  usually an AR in my vehicle except during hunting season then my hunting rifle is there (you can just have so many longguns in a truck before they get in the way).  I don't worry about it because if I am stopped around here no one will question my AR.  When I travel if I take a rifle it is my trusty 30-30 plenty of rounds for self defense, fast into action, stores well in vehicle, looks non threatening, legal everywhere, it would just make things easier if stopped or if I had to use it.  I always carry my handgun though which is a Glock 22 since it is issue and the ammo is issue its capacity, appearance are not a factor.  I two would avoid the AK because of the various pitfalls of local laws.  I can see the 10/22 being handy assuming you are willing to purchase the proper hunting licenses for where you are at.  Unless it is turned in to a "assualt rifle" look alike no one will probably give it a second look.  Hope your break is good, although judging from the dates you are probably there and back by now

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 03:19:15 AM »
full auto weapons are the most regulated firearms in the USA ,
one gun that fares well in travel is the shotgun ! most states have sporting clays courses . a good 870 pump with slug bbl and 28in. bbl is a formidable weapon and a " nice weapon " all in one !
just call ahead for tentative reservations that can be confirmed when you arrive , if and when you find time to shoot !
and carry the gun in a case made for the extra bbl.
this combo can often go into Canada !
also up north be careful which bullets you carry and magazine cap.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !