Author Topic: One Tough Fellow  (Read 552 times)

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
One Tough Fellow
« on: September 21, 2007, 06:17:00 PM »
 A 62 Year old Bear hunter in MN fell from his tree stand and laid in the woods for five days and nights. Now you always hear if your going out TELL SOME ONE. Well he did not as he lived alone. He fell out of his stand as he was getting on to a ladder from the stand and the ladder fell away and he fell 20 feet straight down. Broke his Pelvis and Hip and when he tried to stand drove the broken bone up into his hip area. He knew his grandson was coming on Fri to see him so he laid there in the woods and gathered all the leaves and grass he could to insulate himself and kept moving what muscles he could to keep warm. On Fri his grandson came with a friend and did not want to wake up grampa so went to bed and the next morning when he saw the bed empty in his grandpa's room he went looking at the Six bear stands he knew his grandfather used he found his grandfather at the last one he looked at. 5 days and nights in the cold with no food and water and a busted pelvis and hip. That is one tough fellow. I saw this on the news tonite they interviewed him in he hospital. So this is just recent. He must have gotten rescued last Sat. That must have been one heck of an ordeal.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: One Tough Fellow
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 01:18:52 AM »

Those bears are lucky they didn't meet up with him BEFORE he fell...LOL
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 05:10:40 AM »
Well on this we agree. Probably agree on lots things as long as it is not politics.  ;D ;D ;D
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline magooch

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 06:04:19 AM »
Yeah, hold your breath till that happens.
Swingem

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 06:24:25 AM »
Indeed, not only tough, but lucky!! Here's a few more details...

Tim

http://wcco.com/local/local_story_264224815.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 09:45:54 AM »
Yeah, hold your breath till that happens.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 09:51:01 AM »
Thanks Tim I looked earlier and could not find an article:

Remer Man Survives Five Nights In Woods After Fall
(AP) A Remer man was recovering Friday after spending five nights in the woods without food or water after falling from a hunting stand.

Larry Mackey, 62, fell from his bear-hunting stand about a mile from home Sept. 10, breaking his hip and pelvis, and wasn't found until Sept. 15. He was immobilized by his injuries and lay on the ground as temperatures dropped to freezing or below on three of the nights he was in the forest.

The retired bank employee said he sang and talked to himself to stay awake, flexed his muscles to stay warm and slept during the day when it was warmer. A sow and two cub bears came near him on two nights, feeding on bait he had set out for hunting, Mackey said Friday at St. Lukes hospital. A pack of wolves passed near him another night and he could hear the pups yipping.

Mackey was found by his grandson, Lucas Baynes, who had come from Mankato to hunt with his grandfather.

Mackey had surgery Sunday and his prognosis for a good recovery was excellent, according to Dr. William Schnell, a surgeon with Orthopaedic Associates of Duluth. "Hes probably going to need a new hip later in life. His pelvis is going to heal up," Schnell said.

Schnell said Mackey, who had lost a lot of blood internally after the 20-foot fall, was lucky that his grandson found him when he did.

"If his grandson hadn't come, he would have died," Schnell said.