Author Topic: O-ring Forearm?  (Read 917 times)

Offline 6x6 elk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
O-ring Forearm?
« on: September 22, 2007, 08:45:30 AM »
What seems to give better accuracy, using a O-ring in the forearm or using the permatex RTV, the O-ring seems alot easier.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
Re: O-ring Forearm?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 10:06:56 AM »
I just glass-bedded mine and believe me I would not have done this if the O-ring trick had worked for me. I think the best you can expect with the O-ring is good performance on any given day but the next day the groups will open-up and the POI will change.
Bed it is the best solution.

Mc

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 12:11:23 AM »
To me, I hold the "O" ring in the same regard as I do the business card or re-frig magnet tricks. Try them, if they work, do what McLernon, suggests. bed it right!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline 6x6 elk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 08:30:19 AM »
Thanks for the information. I tried the O- ring with inconsistent results. I'm going to try the permatex and see what happens.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 08:49:33 AM »
I just glass-bedded mine and believe me I would not have done this if the O-ring trick had worked for me. I think the best you can expect with the O-ring is good performance on any given day but the next day the groups will open-up and the POI will change.
Bed it is the best solution.

Mc

Any pics of the glass bedded for end?

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 09:08:13 AM »
I never use an O ring or any type of rubber to float a forearm. Heat, cold and changing a barrel (such as on a T\C) will give you inconsistent pressure when tightening (or temp. change). I always use metal as the torque will remain at a constant rate.

Here is a picture of what I did to my T\C forearm when I floated it. Maybe this will help.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 09:17:12 AM »
The Encore forend is different than an H&R, there's no interaction with the frame like there is at the forend spacer on an H&R. Still, the idea of getting the same torque on the forend screw is important, that's why I use a torque sensing screwdriver to set the screw the same every time I install it, 24 in/lbs. I do agree that a solid pillar type support for the forend stud will help make sure the pressure is the same each time, both on the screw and the pressure on the barrel, depending on whether it's bedded or floated with or without a pressure point near the tip.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 02:25:10 PM »
Tim,

Not to disagree with you, as you are the King of the Handi Knoweldge...the Guru of all that is H&R...the....well, you just know a lot of stuff about these guns. However, I do float my Handi forearms with a small (flat on both sides...the one in my pic is for a T\C ProHunter and is contoured for the barrel) metal type of tube like I put on the T\C's. It puts space in between the forearm and the barrel except where the forearm fits to the receiver.

Seems to work.

MHO

Dave

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 02:31:32 PM »
Dave, that's not contrary to what I said, the difference I was pointing out is the forend on an Encore can be made to not touch the frame, and is desirable, not possible on a Handi since the pivot isn't solid and requires the forend to be tight to the frame to keep the barrel attached to the frame. Using a spacer in the bottom of the forend stud socket to float the barrel works great, that's how I floated the syn forend on my Superlight. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 03:01:46 PM »
I'll try and get some pics of the bedding job in the next day or so.

Mc