Author Topic: Vari X 2 Adjustment  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Castaway

• Trade Count: (0)
Vari X 2 Adjustment
« on: September 22, 2007, 09:25:35 AM »
What are the adjustment amounts on the dial of a Leupold Vari X 2?  There are numbers 1 - 10 around the dial with a "tick" mark inbetween.  On the adjustment ring there is also stamped "MOA."  Am I to assume that each number represents one MOA or is one MOA to the mark inbetween? 

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Vari X 2 Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 11:19:41 AM »
I have a Leupold Vari-X II 1x4 compact scope.  The markings on the dials are 1/4 minute of angle.  For bullet impact, if you need the bullet to go up then rotate the dial DOWNWARDS, 4 clicks to the inch.  If the bullet needs to go right, then move rotate the dial LEFT,  4 clicks to the inch at 100 yds.  It took me a while and half box of ammo to figure this out too.  I hadn't shot in several years, so just thought it was my inaccuracy before I finally realized my mistake.  My dials are marked 1x4 around the outside edge so maybe yours as marked MOA may be minute of angle.  I've not seen a Vari-X II so marked.  My suggestion is to move either dial vertically or horizontally only 2 clicks and see what the differences are.  Then correct accordingly.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline ~Ace~

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
  • Over Educated Under Achiever
    • TN Predators.com
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 11:36:02 AM »
One full # is 1" at 100 Yards

Offline Castaway

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 12:20:11 PM »
Ace, thanks.  I'm dialed in with my regular hunting load. but took another to the range this morning and was 2" higher than what I wanted but with a good group.  Given that I'm shooting a 45-70 from the bench at over 1850 f/s I could have gone back tomorrow and figured it out by myself, but you saved my shoulder from unnecessary abuse.  Now I've got my regular 423 grain paper patch bullet load 2" high at 100 and if it is raining, I can load the 405 Remington loads and lower the sights 2" and be right on.

Offline ~Ace~

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
  • Over Educated Under Achiever
    • TN Predators.com
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 07:08:27 PM »
You can also Move the #'d dial to Zero your current adjustment, and move it the amount needed for the new load, and back to Zero for the other load. ~Ace~

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 08:09:23 AM »
I have a Leupold Vari-X II 1x4 compact scope.  The markings on the dials are 1/4 minute of angle.  For bullet impact, if you need the bullet to go up then rotate the dial DOWNWARDS, 4 clicks to the inch.  If the bullet needs to go right, then move rotate the dial LEFT,  4 clicks to the inch at 100 yds.  It took me a while and half box of ammo to figure this out too.  I hadn't shot in several years, so just thought it was my inaccuracy before I finally realized my mistake.  My dials are marked 1x4 around the outside edge so maybe yours as marked MOA may be minute of angle.  I've not seen a Vari-X II so marked.  My suggestion is to move either dial vertically or horizontally only 2 clicks and see what the differences are.  Then correct accordingly.
I have to say I don't agree with this. It seem to me every scope I have ever owned if you shoot ( at 100 yards ) a group and the bullets are hitting the target two inches low an and one inch right and I had a scope that has 1/4 inch adjustments. I would adjust the elevation knob in the up direction 8 clicks. I would also adjust the windage knob 4 clicks left. Here is a quote from an article to show I am not crazy.               Turret Adjustments and Minute of Angle (MOA)
Adjustments are made in “Minutes of Angle” (MOA). This is a unit of measurement of a circle, and is 1.0472 at 100 yards. For all practical purposes it is called 1 inch at 100 yards. It is 2 inches at 200 yards, 5 inches at 500 yards, one half inch at 50 yards, etcetera.

Scope adjustments are most often made in 1/4 inch increments at 100 yards. Each “click” of an elevation or windage turret will move your point of impact 1/4 inch at 100 yards. That same 1/4 inch click will move your point of impact 1/2 of an inch at 200 yards, or 1/8 inch at 50 yards. Some scopes have clicks that are 1/2 inch or even 1 inch. Some adjustment dials don’t have clicks at all, just a friction type adjustment that is infinitely adjustable.

If your bullet hole is four inches low at 100 yards and you have a scope with 1/4 minute clicks, you need to adjust your dial in the direction of the “up” arrow on your turret 16 clicks.

The turrets are housed in the center of your scope tube in a protrusion called the turret housing. The turrets are sometimes made to be turned with a coin, and sometimes they are finger adjustable. Target turrets are tall, and the clicks are easily seen and felt. Target turrets are most suited to use where they won’t get banged around or snagged on gear or brush. This is why hunting scopes don’t have them, and instead are much lower profile.

The turret caps are often sealed with an “O” ring, and help prevent moisture and debris entering the scope through its weakest parts.            Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 09:29:36 AM »
My Vari-X II dial markings up/dn and l/r indicate recticle movement.  For a bullets impact to move right, the recticle moves left, thus moving the barrel end toward the right using the same aiming point.  The same with verticle movement.  I agree that most scopes are marked with bullet impact dial movement, but this is one that is not.  Maybe Leupold does make some scopes with dials that indicate bullet impact, but this one does not. 
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 09:44:00 AM »
OOOOOOOOOOOOHHH!!!!!!!!!  :o Good to know. ;)      Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Castaway

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 10:28:39 AM »
This scope also doesn't have click adjustments.  I trust the Leupold enough to that it will "shoot the box" and that two "numbers of adjustment downwards will get me what I want.

Offline EsoxLucius

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 01:40:03 PM »
The Leupold Vari-X II had 1/2 MOA-increment friction adjustments.  The current Leupold VX-II has 1/4 MOA click adjustments.
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.