Author Topic: anyone seen or used this?  (Read 1122 times)

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
anyone seen or used this?
« on: September 23, 2007, 09:39:07 AM »
Foreverlast Tripod Game Hoist . I Just ordered one and dying to try it out. I was told it should be to me by 10-02-07
Once I get it I will have to get a deer and try it out.

I ordered it to keep some of my neighbors quiet, I use to hang all my deer from an oak tree on the edge of my yard  and every time they drove by they had to see it and me skinning and cutting it up. I hope I will be able to put it be hind my shad so they will not be offended.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat601053&id=0048997228754a&navCount=1&podId=0048997&parentId=cat601053&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=XH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601053&hasJS=true

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: anyone seen or used this?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 03:00:44 AM »
Where do you live? 

Offline rickyp

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 09:39:45 AM »
about an hour out side of washington DC

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 06:32:40 AM »
Waaaahl, I'd say, "@#!!&$ the neighbors" but why not put a hook eye with a pulley in the eaves of the shed?  If you get a nice one, fasten the horns to the wall of the shed so all of your golfing neighbors can see. 
Are they vegetarians? 

Offline rickyp

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 07:02:15 AM »
My mom is one of the neighbors complaining, she thinks it looks bad expressly around Christmas for a deer hanging a tree in view of the kids.
My next door neighbor hunts  as well he can care less about the deer. it is  a different time now even in MD's hunting regs they ask hunters to cover a dead deer as to not offend anyone.

I would love to put a hook in the rafters of my shead but one is falling down and the other is to small 

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 11:28:23 AM »
No chance of you covering it up with a bed sheet and putting a sign out front that sez something to the effect of: "don't look under the sheet but Rudolph ain't gonna be leading the sleigh this year".
You know, really traumatize the little nippers. 

Offline rickyp

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 03:19:21 PM »
I wanted to get one of the little red clown nose and put it on a deer just to watch the people's reaction.

I got the tripod in today. it should be tall enough for all but the biggest deer. I can see a lot of little things that could be done to improve it

This reminds me of a light duty model of the tripod we use for confined space rescues.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 03:41:06 PM »
Boy you could have saved yourself a load of money. I am a carpenter. You could have bought 3- 4x4's and cut angles on the top of them. Where they come together. Then you could have set the base of the 4x4's in concrete. Then you could have gone to Harbor Freight and bought one of those $20.00 come a longs. Total cost maybe $60.00.      Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline rickyp

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 04:13:02 PM »
but then it would not be portable.

I was thinking about making a large "swing frame"  but it would be heavy and not easy for me to move around.

with this I can take it apart and put it together in about 4 minutes and store it on my trailer during hunting season of my shied during the off season and not have to worry about cutting around it or moving it every time I cut grass.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 01:31:59 AM »
rickyp:  you and bemanbeme have me rollin' on the floor.  I can just hear the neighborhood kids now:  Nooo Mom, not Rudolph, waaaaaaa! 

Hey, here in neu yawk it was never a law but just a policy our En-con Game Officers observed that whitetail being transported after being harvested should be covered as best as possible.  En-con received many, many complaints about the obvious sight of dead whitetail in the back end of a pickup truck, or strapped to the hood of one and rotting in the hot sun while En Con and company were either soakin' up beers or breakfast, so En-con enforced the policy for a number of years until it became practice, and that's ok with me. 

As for the tripod set-up you mentioned - they look good - I've seen adds for them.  Fortunately for me I have some very nice trees with good thick branches where I dress my whitetail and simply use a come-a-long and a rope and can get almost all my work completed in the field. 

Regarding your mother - neither she or you are alone here.  My younger brother was observed by my mother doing what you normally do and she lit into him for it - he was 50 at the time but wasn't very considerate of her or other's feelings about that sort of thing, so he moved his operation to a location out of sight of most people or passers-by and is happier for it, now.  And I know folks who do as you do and get the normal comments when people go by.  One fella and his wife are local and live next to the local post office.  Now, here's the trick - most of the postal workers come out, at one time or another, to compliment the fella and his wife on their harvest(s); many of the folk who stop at the P.O. do the same when they observe them at work but, there are always those who say - how could you do that, or how does it feel to kill a helpless bambi, or how can you do this in plain sight of influential children, and all that??????? 

I guess it boils on down to whatever floats your boat but I have found that although there may be a bit of an incovenience moving your operation, the lack of bs and agita you get when you are preparing your harvest seem to make the process go more smoothly and you don't wind up with a bad attitude when you've finished.

JMTCW.  Mikey.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 01:45:57 AM »
Oooops, sorry!  2nd paragraph isn't right and I should have read it before posting, but it wasn't our En-con folks who were soaking up anything, it was budda and buddies who were either soakin' up the suds or having breakfast while their harvest was rottin' on a hot truck hood or strapped over one sitting in the hot sun.  My apologies to any and all Conservation Department employees who may have read that mis-statement.  Mikey.

Offline rickyp

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 04:38:26 AM »
One of the  best things is at one of the Fire departmenst I belong to  I am known well as being the go to guy to help people with the deer and teach them how to take care of them. it is nothing for me to get several phone calls a year with the "kids" askig for hepl so I tell them to come to my home and we will take care of it for them. with this tripod I can just go to the station and we can do it in the back parking lot

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 05:34:11 AM »
Good civic action, Rick.  Why not take the tri-pod to their home and do it in the back yard?  (Don't forget your red clowns nose, hee hee, " Wow, Jr. I believe you've shot Rudolph! Goooood job!!! high fives all around)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 05:49:50 AM »
most people don't hunt , pissing them off does nothing for our cause , in many cases one negative act will destroy support gained over many years of good hunting practices !
if you live with in an hour of DC ( I'm an hour and a half or so depending on traffic ) you would know that Peta and such are thick as thieves and looking for any reason to make us look bad !
good luck with the rack !  I had one for the receiver on my truck , it got away so i will make a new one soon !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 06:28:21 AM »
most people don't hunt , pissing them off does nothing for our cause , in many cases one negative act will destroy support gained over many years of good hunting practices !
if you live with in an hour of DC ( I'm an hour and a half or so depending on traffic ) you would know that Peta and such are thick as thieves and looking for any reason to make us look bad !
good luck with the rack !  I had one for the receiver on my truck , it got away so i will make a new one soon !

A thinking poster!  You're right of course, but it never ceases to amaze me how many people think it's a good thing to offend people.  Like somehow that can help something.  Hunting is sport that the majority of votes DO NOT PARTICIPATE IN.  They judge hunting by what they see and the people they meet.  Offending them only helps create antis. 

Behave with class in everything you do, that's the best way to protect and/or enhance our image, and a lot rides on that image.

Offline rickyp

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 09:50:12 AM »
SHOOTALL,
you say you are and hour and half from DC?  what location  I am in SO MD

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 01:25:39 PM »
We use an old swing set frame. It's not as portable, but the price is right. We don't move it, but could tip it on it's end and remove the four legs and it's disassembled.
NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2007, 03:52:07 AM »
Dang, Shootall, I thought we were having a joke among friends. I didn't know we had a closet PETA rep among us.  Save your sermon for someone who cares. And I'd tell you where to put your soapbox but GB'd blip it. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 03:05:38 AM »
anyone wishing to by pass the watchful eye of GB can always use e-mail , but then who would see ? and when only self gradification and attention is the goal whats the use ?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007, 03:40:10 AM »
and if anyone is interested i posted what i did because not all on this site may  be friends ! many anti hinting , anti gun and govt. agen. could be crusing the site for illegal or stupid post ! It should be the goal of all posting here to keep it clean , legal and useful ! A joke among friends is great as long as all present are in fact friends !
As for my relation with peta , there you go with the jokes !
I view PETA as a very real threat to hunting and shooting , they have a large following . They use many tatics to enroll the famous among us to their agenda ! they also collect millions to destory both our sport and traditions , I for one will not allow myself to let my guard down with respect to PETA ! we as hunters have a way of life to lose Peta has nothing so they have nothing to lose they can joke, lie and break the law with out fear of judgement by the public , we however must remain squeky clean or we as a group will lose all we have !

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2007, 07:10:15 AM »
Shootall as much as I want to yell and scream about my rights and PETA be darn you have a very valid point. Whether we like it or not we are involved in politics, quite frankly our adversary is good at it and has no morals about their methods to get what they want. They feel that the end justifiies the means. PETA is a bunch of brown shirted, jack booted thugs that will do anything to get their way. The majority of people out there are undecided. I don't want to push them into PETA's camp by my actions.

Politics aside it bugs me to no end when I see good venison getting ruined because some so called hunter has it strapped to the hood getting hot. Sometimes they haven't even field dressed it. It may be okay in colder climates, but here you need to get it in the cooler as quick as possible.
NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2007, 08:14:05 AM »
Elmer , i agree !
i was sorry beemanbeme got upset , to tell the truth i can see his point , thats just not the way it works anymore .
as hunters and conservitave thinkers we must abide by the rules of fair play but can't expect the same in return !
i hope all hunters will rise to the occasion and not allow the left winged nuts drive a wedge between us !
i don't care if you hang in a tree , shoot a bow made by a native american craftsman on a day that comes around every 100years , dog hunt, or go to Africa we are judged as one ! we better start supporting each other as one !
OK beemanbeme the soap box is yours !

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2007, 08:11:58 AM »
Shootall, I don’t need a soapbox to spot a BS artist when I see one.  What was your point in making your lofty little speech in a room oriented to shooting and hunting.  Kinda preaching to the choir weren’t you.  What did you accomplish?
 Also you need to point out where I suggested any sort of illegal action.  Or any sort of action that wasn’t “fair play”.  Of course, “fair play” is like sin or Christianity.  You can find some rather bizarre interpretations for the word.  No, I think you just seized what you thought would be a opportunity to make a pious, self-aggrandizing little plaint.  But you were wrong.
What sort of efforts, kinda like Rick, do you do to promote hunting and shooting among the young folks and to promote a positive image of hunting and shooting among the “undecided” folks in America?  Or do you just hang out in cyberspace and preach? 

Offline rickyp

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2007, 09:06:46 AM »
I think this has gone on long enough. it has gone from a  question about a new product to the beginnings of a fight about hunting ethics and this is not needed
this tread needs to end now