Author Topic: Frame stretch  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: Frame stretch
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2007, 11:56:42 AM »

More painful I'm sure...but a good thing never the less...Locking them down in any way causes it to become a fulcrum on the toe of the stock...and cause too much stress on the lock up..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2007, 04:20:02 PM »
Locking a rifle down decreases the time involved in recoil and to the extent the time is shortened the force goes up proportionately. But the distribution of that higher force within the action remains the same as for a lower force.

Mc

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2007, 04:57:17 PM »
Locking a rifle down decreases the time involved in recoil and to the extent the time is shortened the force goes up proportionately. But the distribution of that higher force within the action remains the same as for a lower force.

Mc

Mc...You would be right...if this were a bolt gun...or a falling block...but your not..and this rifle isn't either of those 2....and you really don't get it do ya...This is a hinged action...and if you want to believe what you posted above...fine...but...do your self a favor and actually talk to some rifle builders...ok...No offense...but I'm quite tired of having to state this for you and those others here that can't grasp this simple little fact...or refuse to believe it...maybe they can explain properly for your benefit...because I can't...

Take Care

Mac

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2007, 01:54:15 AM »
When this tread started out, I thought Mac was full of it. Of course the frame stretched, every body knows that! The more I have read and thought about it, the more Mac makes sense to me. When the BAT action was compared to a Handi, like Mac said it, apples to grapes, both are fruits, but very different. All of the forces in a bolt gun are straight line. The case pushing straight back into the bolt face. As I have stated earlier; the hinge pin is about .75" lower than the center line of the cartridge. This means that the case is pushing on the breech face and is trying to open the action, not just push straight back. Most of the force is against the breech and the hinge pin, in opposite directions (but not straight). The latch and lug is what is keeping it all from flying open. The forces within the action is 1. pushing against the breech face. 2. the latch pushing down on the lug. 3. the lug front pushing against the hinge pin. 4. The frame holding it all together. There are other things going on too, but these are the major ones going on.

1 yes the breech face is going to deflect, given enough deflection, it will crack.
2 The latch and lug relationship - the latch and lug are more or less a straight line force in the vertical holding the barrel shut.
3. the lug in the front pushing against the hinge pin is not straight line, it is angled from the center line of the case to .75" down to the hinge pin.
4. All of these forces are being held together by the frame, mostly in the area between the breech and the hinge pin.

If you have 50Kpsi pushing on the breech face you will have some where in the neighbor hood of 37.5Kpsi pushing against the hinge pin and 12.5 Kpsi pulling up on the latch. As the breech face pressure climbs so will these other forces. The latch is not vertical, it is angled, but the force trying to let the barrel open is pretty much vertical. If the vertical force becomes too great, it will deflect the latch/lug enough to move the lug up the face of the latch. There is much force trying to push the hinge pin through the front of the frame, but the lug that rests against it will crush down, just as the breech face deflects. The lug is soft in relation to the the frame. Soft metal is more putty like than hard metal. As the lug crushes against the hinge pin, it lets the back of the lug ride up the face of the latch, opening the gap in the barrel/breech face. As the pressure increases; the more giving to the lug, thus more barrel opening, or flex. In most cases the lug springs back into it's original shape. In severe conditions, it crushes down and does not return to it's original position. When this happens the integrity of the barrel lock-up has been compromised. Breech face cracks occur when the pressure is so high it deflects it beyond it yield point. Remember these forces are not applied slowly, they are violent. How the gun is held makes a difference it the over all scheme. Think of a sledge hammer(case) hitting a concrete block(breech face). If the block is setting on a concrete slab(mechanical holder) the hammer(case) is going to do more damage than if the block was setting on top of 4" of high density foam(your shoulder), floating in the air(nothing in back of you).

It was suggested that the lugs are the same on SB1 frames and SB2 frames. This is true, but the SB2 frames have been heat treated to make sure they do not deflect. If you have an SB1 frame it will deflect right along with the lug and latch and breech face. This increases to the point of unacceptable and may actually damage the frame.

The latch/lug deflects, the breech face deflects, the lug front deflects against the hinge pin. This is going to happen! And this is where the the gun gets it's flexible reputation from. How much all of this happens depends on how much breech face pressure it sees. The frame is not flexing or stressing or yielding or anything else for that matter, it is all in the other relationships. Even a 22 hornet will set these forces into action, but it so small that it is barely noticeable. As the cartridge intensity goes up, the deflection goes up. I am talking the deflection of the lug, breech face and latch. It depends on how intense the cartridge is to how much deflection is taking place. in some cartridges/loadings, full length sizing is needed every time because the case was let to be stretched enough that the next time it will not be able to be chambered and shut. This is reaching the outer limits of the action.

I have covered a lot of ground here. Mac I hope I have told the truth here of what is happening. I did this as much to clarify for me what is happening as much as anyone else.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2007, 04:11:08 AM »
I feel quite confident in what I have said to date. I am done with this thread.

Mc

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2007, 06:18:35 AM »
I feel quite confident in what I have said to date. I am done with this thread.

Mc

I hope I have not offended you here. I think that what you were saying makes a lot more sense than what some of them were saying. I like to have discussions. That is why I joined this group. I sat out for two years just reading, then I wanted to join in on the discussions, sharing my knowledge and getting the advice and opinions of others that have been there done that. No one single person has all the answers. I do not get offended. If you think I am full of it, go ahead and say so. It is just a part of the discussion as far as I am concerned. With this subject, I am not working with measured material, just what makes sense. I am not defending Mac, he can take care of himself. I was just trying to clarify things in my own mind. I stayed out of the discussion to start with because I thought it was a tempest in a tea pot. I did not mean a thing, the Handi was still going to do it's thing, no matter how much discussion was taking place or who was getting upset. Then I saw it turning to more of a technical thing that I could learn from. I could use this knowledge to better understand the dynamics of the Handi rifle.  Mac defends his thoughts pretty strongly as do some others on this site. That is OK, it is only a discussion for Pete sake. I once said that the Handi was a common rifle for the common down to earth man. I did not mean any disrespect by it, I thought of it as a compliment. Mac took offense (or fainted offense) to it and posted a couple of pictures of his rifles pointing out that they were not common and better than many other rifles offered. I apologized for insulting his babies and moved on..so what. Should I have started a discussion about no they are just the a common rifle and have Mac fire back that no they are great custom rifles. WE could go back and forth many times, but where would that get us? The Handis he posted are nice rifles. But that is Mac, and generally he is pretty knowledgeable when it comes to Handi rifles. Another one that is knowable and is opinionated is Fred. Do I  agree on every thing they say...no. But I realize they know more technically than I when it comes to the Handi rifles. Quicktdoo is very knowledgeable when it comes to variations, history, members, etc. much more than I. I have lots of respect for the regulars of these forums and that includes you.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2007, 07:00:19 AM »
When this tread started out, I thought Mac was full of it. Of course the frame stretched, every body knows that! The more I have read and thought about it, the more Mac makes sense to me. When the BAT action was compared to a Handi, like Mac said it, apples to grapes, both are fruits, but very different. All of the forces in a bolt gun are straight line. The case pushing straight back into the bolt face. As I have stated earlier; the hinge pin is about .75" lower than the center line of the cartridge. This means that the case is pushing on the breech face and is trying to open the action, not just push straight back. Most of the force is against the breech and the hinge pin, in opposite directions (but not straight). The latch and lug is what is keeping it all from flying open. The forces within the action is 1. pushing against the breech face. 2. the latch pushing down on the lug. 3. the lug front pushing against the hinge pin. 4. The frame holding it all together. There are other things going on too, but these are the major ones going on.

1 yes the breech face is going to deflect, given enough deflection, it will crack.
2 The latch and lug relationship - the latch and lug are more or less a straight line force in the vertical holding the barrel shut.
3. the lug in the front pushing against the hinge pin is not straight line, it is angled from the center line of the case to .75" down to the hinge pin.
4. All of these forces are being held together by the frame, mostly in the area between the breech and the hinge pin.

If you have 50Kpsi pushing on the breech face you will have some where in the neighbor hood of 37.5Kpsi pushing against the hinge pin and 12.5 Kpsi pulling up on the latch. As the breech face pressure climbs so will these other forces. The latch is not vertical, it is angled, but the force trying to let the barrel open is pretty much vertical. If the vertical force becomes too great, it will deflect the latch/lug enough to move the lug up the face of the latch. There is much force trying to push the hinge pin through the front of the frame, but the lug that rests against it will crush down, just as the breech face deflects. The lug is soft in relation to the the frame. Soft metal is more putty like than hard metal. As the lug crushes against the hinge pin, it lets the back of the lug ride up the face of the latch, opening the gap in the barrel/breech face. As the pressure increases; the more giving to the lug, thus more barrel opening, or flex. In most cases the lug springs back into it's original shape. In severe conditions, it crushes down and does not return to it's original position. When this happens the integrity of the barrel lock-up has been compromised. Breech face cracks occur when the pressure is so high it deflects it beyond it yield point. Remember these forces are not applied slowly, they are violent. How the gun is held makes a difference it the over all scheme. Think of a sledge hammer(case) hitting a concrete block(breech face). If the block is setting on a concrete slab(mechanical holder) the hammer(case) is going to do more damage than if the block was setting on top of 4" of high density foam(your shoulder), floating in the air(nothing in back of you).

It was suggested that the lugs are the same on SB1 frames and SB2 frames. This is true, but the SB2 frames have been heat treated to make sure they do not deflect. If you have an SB1 frame it will deflect right along with the lug and latch and breech face. This increases to the point of unacceptable and may actually damage the frame.

The latch/lug deflects, the breech face deflects, the lug front deflects against the hinge pin. This is going to happen! And this is where the the gun gets it's flexible reputation from. How much all of this happens depends on how much breech face pressure it sees. The frame is not flexing or stressing or yielding or anything else for that matter, it is all in the other relationships. Even a 22 hornet will set these forces into action, but it so small that it is barely noticeable. As the cartridge intensity goes up, the deflection goes up. I am talking the deflection of the lug, breech face and latch. It depends on how intense the cartridge is to how much deflection is taking place. in some cartridges/loadings, full length sizing is needed every time because the case was let to be stretched enough that the next time it will not be able to be chambered and shut. This is reaching the outer limits of the action.

I have covered a lot of ground here. Mac I hope I have told the truth here of what is happening. I did this as much to clarify for me what is happening as much as anyone else.

Yup...that pretty much covers it...I can't swear by the percentages though..but..they seem about right..There are couple of things though that have to be noted....Not all Handi's have to be FL sized every time...just because its a high pressure round being used as some have stated..some will in some rifles...others in the same caliber won't have to be..the difference is due to worn parts that allow a higher degree of slop or misfitted barrels..or misaligned/improperly cut chambers..or the angles on the shelf/catch isn't correct to begin with...I have had 2 different 25-06's and 270's that were this way...My current 25-06 and my 338-06 I can neck size and still chamber easily...and I am not loading middle of the road loads...they are quite hot by any standards...My 338-06 can go 4-5 reloads before bumping the shoulder back...and I am on my first go around with this new 25-06 I got...so...there are other reasons it can happen besides just the obvious as you noted... The other is you will have opposing forces on the barrel catch...it's initial direction on firing is actually down...which pushes the breech face downward into the receiver then back up pulling hard against it...This is why the fit is so important and the less gap you have to begin with the better it is....Let's say  the barrel catch isn't fitted properly...and isn't seated out properly to engage the shelf at the proper angle...then it moves on firing..This is why a few folks rifles shoot better with oil on the latch...the barrel catch is being allowed to move fully into the correct position when it cams down..due to not being fitted correctly to begin with...Now the opposite occurs on other folks rifles...when oil is on the shelf..the friction that is holding it on the shelf is gone...and pop opens occurs..

There are a-lot of variables to take into account...Some of them...we can see quite easily and measure...others we can't...and only see the after effects...but..if simply logic is left out of the reasoning...then the answer becomes more difficult to attain...Parts that can and have to move freely make this difficult to fit into a mathematical formula to try and calculate load forces...Add a offset hinge in the middle...and it complicates it even more...I don't have all the answers to these rifles...and if I have given that impression...I am truly sorry...I do know quite a lot about them...and have picked them apart with various gun builders to see what they are supposed to do ...and what they can't do...This also includes the gunsmiths at NEF as well...I suppose I get a little more than miffed when I feel anyone is casting these rifles in a bad light...on-purpose or in inadvertently.....so...If I have offended anyone..I am sorry... and I suppose I should just chill for a while...

Take Care Guys..

Mac

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2007, 04:28:59 PM »
Makes sense to me!!   ;) :o ???

Spanky