Author Topic: Frame stretch  (Read 2392 times)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: Frame stretch
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2007, 07:16:43 PM »

Wow... :o :o :o I'm just amazed at the amount of ignorance running rampant here

I'll tell you what guys...You all keep on believing the receiver has this much flex in them...or any of the break action rifles currently on the market...Hell...you can even try and prove it with a carpenters square if you want...I'm done with it...but I will say this...You guys need to talk with the different factories and see what they have to say...I have...but it is quite apparent that you all feel you know more than them...and are more knowledgeable than the people who build them and service them for a living...but until someone can actually measure this so-called flex with the appropriate instruments...I'll keep on believing what I have been assured from the various factories...

Ciao'

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2007, 04:17:11 AM »

Yeah, Tim, it stretched. I had to get a new barrel from Krupp in Germany and have a 1.75" thick lug electron beam welded on it. After firing the first 20 mm Vulcan round, it set back so much I had to use a piece of 3.25" thick 4140 shim stock to get it to barely close on a .0015 feeler.

;D ;D ;D ;D
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2007, 05:16:03 AM »
 :D :D :D
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2007, 06:04:49 AM »

Wow... :o :o :o I'm just amazed at the amount of ignorance running rampant here

I'll tell you what guys...You all keep on believing the receiver has this much flex in them...or any of the break action rifles currently on the market...Hell...you can even try and prove it with a carpenters square if you want...I'm done with it...but I will say this...You guys need to talk with the different factories and see what they have to say...I have...but it is quite apparent that you all feel you know more than them...and are more knowledgeable than the people who build them and service them for a living...but until someone can actually measure this so-called flex with the appropriate instruments...I'll keep on believing what I have been assured from the various factories...

Ciao'

Mac

Mac11700,

Wow! I have already lost my post 3 times. I will say that you are living in a fantasy world if you don't believe that the frame flexes under load. Who is Gordon, a Customer Service Engineer? Care to list these "factories" and Mechanical Engineers you reference?

You might want to go back and reread some of the posts of PartsMan, McLernon, Ireload2, and Trotterlg. All of these guys have made some very valid points, and from my perspective and experience, know what they are talking about. I work with several types of metals everyday, so you might as well just add me to the rampant ignorance list, no need to retype my statement a fourth time and bore you with the details. You probably couldn't see them from that high horse anyways.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2007, 07:30:58 AM »

It's not a high horse Busta...I don't think I am above or better than anyone...and you apparently don't understand my usage of the word ignorance...and are taking it out of context.. It is a general statement describing a lack of acceptance on how these actions truly lock up...Everything that has been said so far by these other folks isn't reflecting that this is a hinged action...If this barrel was physically locked in place like the 788 or the #1...then yes...the frame might stretch...notice the wording...might...but not .003"...and this frame will only stretch under certain conditions..not normal usage...Yes...Gordon is as you say...and no...I don't care to list any one by name from the other companies I have spoken to..or those engineers I know and have talked to..or any of the rifle builders I have talked to...What I suggest you do is to actually call any company that makes hinged action break action single shots and ask them to what degree do their receivers actually flex under normal conditions...then ask them if the linkage can...compress...I don't have to take the word of anyone on the Internet my friend...I have a telephone and know how to use it quite well...and have many contacts in a lot of different fields...of these are folks I have known for many years...and these are the folks I ask when I have questions...and who I trust to give correct information..

For the last time...for those who refuse to understand where I am coming from on this...the Handi rifle has minimal locking capability...look at the shelf on which it locks...Now..understand...THE BARREL MOVES...IT ISN'T THREADED INTO THE RECEIVER...If you have a normal barrel gap of .0015-.0025...the barrel can move further downward on the hinge when the rifle is fired...this is a friction fit lock up...and what is holding it is a very weak spring to begin with...Look at the shelf...this has between 1/16th and 3/16" of an inch of contact...and the barrel catch is curved...so it has to be fitted to make contact in 1 place...if it doesn't...what happens...it pops open...either fully or partially...If it doesn't contact it correctly and isn't in the right place on it's arc..and moves more forward..it has lost it's full contact...and does the same exact thing...This lock up is being held by a spring...and friction...What do we tell folks who have there actions pop open...GO BACK AND LOOK...How many people have sent their rifles back because of this...? What did NEF do...? Did they replace the receiver...? Not 1 time has any one said this is what happened...not in any of the post I have read...most said they didn't know or couldn't see what they did to correct it...So...what did they do to correct it.. They most likely replaced the linkage and spring and made sure they had the correct underlug contact on the hinge...and on the shelf......Call the company and ask them...Shoot this rifle locked down or where it can't recoil properly...you are adding more stress to the rifle when it is fired......add to this scenario..where your doing your fire forming a wildcat chambering..Come on...get real...what's the most likely reason of it partially opening...Use common sense...So...I say to you...If I am living in a fantasy world...then I am in pretty good company...

Mac

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2007, 08:32:55 AM »
Mac:

You seem to have missed the point entirely. No one is saying that the frame is the biggest or even a large contributor to the flexing of the over-all load path. This has become a discussion of words rather than facts. The fact is, every component in the load path flexes when a gun is fired. It is true of all guns and ----------------------ALL structures--that's all we are saying. And I don't believe that friction is a primary factor in the deflection in a properly locking Handi. Any designer worth his salt will tell you that friction is a darn poor ally and I think any design that relies on it is a poor design. As an engineer I consider the Handi to be a good design and it ain't friction holding it together! I have shot my Handi with a lubricated latch without it ever popping open.

Mc

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2007, 02:26:19 AM »

in a properly locking Handi.
...This is the key...now isn't it...(finally)...Yes...it is a friction fit on the barrel catch...There is nothing else but a weak spring assisting it...nothing locking about the shelf...and no...the frame doesn't flex .003"...to cause a  problem like Quick experienced...it can't..it is a modified wedge...IF...and I do mean IF...it is going to bend or flex...it will do it at it's weakest point...Like I said earlier...it might compress similar to what NEF got them to do when testing the short mags...since the weakest area on the NEF frame is around the firing pin...but...then it would be real close to destroying the frame as they did as well...and I don't think that has happen on anyones frame...including Quicks...

Mac..

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2007, 04:54:40 AM »
I have been staying out of this up to this point. I have read the many responses and thought patterns of each of you. I have done some thinking on it too. I also have a mechanical engineering back ground. 1st of all there is a difference between stretch and flex. If you have a metal that stretches you have over stressed it, period. From this point on I am going to be talking about flex, where a metal yields, but returns to it's original shape/form. Yield point is the point where a metal has flexed all it can and still return to it's original form. Beyond that it has yielded and been damaged. Even a finger being pushed against metal will deform it, it may be very, very minute, but it yields. I think it has been established that all metal "flexes". I think the disagreement here is how much the frame flexes under stress (being fired). With out the aid of very precise measuring equipment we are all speculating, at least using empirical judgment. From this point on I am going to do the same thing. I am going to use empirical judgment. If a frame were to flex .003" in the distance between the hinge pin and the breech face, I would think it would be reaching it's yield point. I seriously doubt if the frame will stretch that much with out damage being done. The frame has been heat treated, this makes it "hard". That means it will flex even less before it reaches it's yield point. I do not think that any frames are reaching their yield points unless there is a considerable overload fired. When we look at the forces between the barrel and the breech face. Newton's law says that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. When the barrel and the frame are in a resting position (unfired) there are forces being applied. The latch is holding the barrel lug down and the is some force being exerted on the hinge pin. When a round is fired, the case grabs the case wall and the case stretches to the rear. That is where the force comes in. So now you have the case pushing against the breech face. The center of the case (primer) is roughly .75" above the center line of the hinge pin. The barrel wants to push open. The latch is preventing it from opening. I think that most of the stress and "flex" is in the lug. When we think of frame flex in a Handi, we are generally talking about the action popping open to different degrees. The higher the pressure, the more flex (opening the action). This is the latch yielding and the lug area around the hinge pin crushing down. In a properly locked up action, the lug and latch can compress enough to pop the action or at least leave it gapped more than before firing. I believe this happens every time it is fired. In a normal load the yield in the latch/pin area springs back to it's original place or close to it. I am talking very little here. Over time however the case stretches enough that it needs to be full length resized to shorten it enough to work in the gun again. If the load is high enough, the case stretches (used properly here) enough to push the open the crack in the breech/barrel  and it can not come back into place. If severe enough it will lock up the gun. What is the frame doing through all of this, not much. Yes it has to flex, if it did not, it would break, but it flexes very, very little, definitely not .003". I think that when people are talking about how flexible the Handi action is, they are really talking about the action trying to open, not lengthen as in frame "stretch". I could go on and on about straight line forces, levers on and on. I hope you followed my way of thinking and it makes sense to you. Just my 2 cents
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2007, 06:38:45 AM »
LaOtto222:

Ditto!

Mc

Offline Ireload2

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2007, 07:32:26 AM »
I think if you resolve all the forces in the Handi lock up the weak point is the locking lug trying to shear the ends of the pin it pivots on. At the other end of the action the hinge pin is taking up all the loading.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2007, 08:16:55 AM »
Ireload2

I think you have identifeid the most flexible parts of the load path. If NEF would increase the diameters of the two pins, the action would be allot stiffer.

Still, its a good action and I have found if you don't push it too hard I don't have to FL resize everytime. If pushed hard I get case head separation after a few loadings in my 204.

But it isna' as rigid as a  b-b-b-b-b-bb-bolt action. Who cares?

Mc

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2007, 08:35:43 AM »
I think it would be "stiffer" too if it was beefed up there. If they did do that, would it be safe to fire the big boys? Maybe not, you may run it to some thing else that is too weak to handle the pressure. Sheering the lug completely off for instance. Do you want an action that is a little flexible and will try to open or one that when it breaks it flies apart. Leave the Handi they way it is. ;D I do not think it has to be stiffer to be safe; as long as you do not over do the pressures. If the pressures get too high then you can actually damage the lug/latch area and the lug at the hinge pin. I think that is what Quick may have seen in his WSM. There is a lot of force trying to open that barrel, even with a 30-06, 270 or a 280 let alone one of the WSM's.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2007, 10:13:59 AM »
The soft underlug is likely a sacrificial part of the entire lockup, or Marlin would have improved it a long time ago I would think with all the loose barrel issues they've had over the years. Some I'm sure were due to poor fitting to begin with, but those that happen on higher pressure chambers are likely just due to the material and design of the underlug itself. The unwelded front part of the underlug in the pic below leads me think this is it's purpose.

One simple improvement they could make to reduce some of the "flex" in the lockup would be to decrease the tolerance on the latch inside the frame, I measured the gap between the width of the latch and the inside of the frame at the pin, there's a .045" gap that puts the pressure away from the most supported part of the pin near the frame, if they made the latch just a bit wider or the frame machined to a tighter tolerance to the latch, the deflection of the pin itself would be less in my thinking. Or just a slightly larger pin.

Tim 

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2007, 11:13:17 AM »
I think you have a point with an improvement in the latch. Any design has a weakest point. Some times they are designed in on purpose. Say a shear pin for instance. This is to make it safe and easily repaired. I do not know if Marlin designed this weakness in or it was just a result of a manufacturing process or a cost thing. I do know that what Marlin is turning out is better than it's predecessor's product. I would rather have a gun that bends or locks up when it sees too high of pressure than one that "blows" up. In either case you have a problem but one I can live with, the other I may not. :o

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2007, 12:10:48 PM »

I think that most of the stress and "flex" is in the lug.

The lug is the weakest link on the barrels...it always has been...but...you have to look at what the barrel is pushing against when it is trying to open...and that is the barrel catch/linkage/and spring...This is what is moving to allow it to open... thru worn  or weakened parts...that is causing the mis-alignment...or from a combination of this and the barrel lug compressing...  What I have been told direct from the factory gunsmith who works on these rifles every day... there is more to their fitting process...than most folks realize..a good tight lock up is essential...but at the appropriate angle to ensure the barrel catch is hitting the shelf at the proper angle...This is one of the reasons they pop open...and having the proper angles for these parts to work...make all the difference in the world on their performance levels...With these being hand fitted...is also the reason why the factory is against folks doing their own...I have spoken with enough NEF/Marlin employees to know this fact very well...They know we do it...and they don't approve of it...this bothers them even more than us reloading for them...but we still do both...

The Handi action is much stronger than many realize...and this is what I have been saying too.....the frames aren't stretching or flexing...they aren't designed to...and the weakest area our Handi's have on the frames is the area around the firing pin...This is the area that will fail first on the receiver ...this is the area that failed when NEF was doing all of their testing with the the short mag cartridges...and the one area we all should be aware of when inspecting them...the lug is the other...It won't always fail first before the breech face cracks either...I've put many rounds of hot loaded ammo thru mine...along with scads of factory...they just don't pop open...not the slightest amount...I probably could make them do this...one way or the other...but...I don't plan on making them do this...One of the amazing things about casted parts...Ruger's bolts are casted...if they would flex any...the lugs  would shear off...and they don't have that problem with them doing that...The Handi's will handle safe max loads just fine...provided they are fitted correctly and chambered correctly...and don't have any excessively worn or damaged parts...This is what they were designed to do...and do it exceeding well for the cost of the rifle....and what I have been saying all along...

Mac

Offline Ireload2

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2007, 02:01:14 PM »
Mac,
Heres is a link to the FEA of the Bat Machine action. It is a very strong bolt gun. The analysis shows a total deflection of the bolt and receiver added together at .004.  This is an action that most folks would think has zero deflection. FEA of the Handi would show much more deflection since the components under load are longer.

Varmint Al's action analysis
http://www.varmintal.com/abat85.htm

This is a link to Bat Machines action specifications.
http://www.batmachine.com/products/products.htm

I have no problems with the Handi since I use it for cartridges and loads that are appropriate for it.

EDG

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2007, 02:15:23 PM »
Hi Ire'

Excellent post !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I gotta believe the Handi deflects allot more that any front lock-up b-b-b-b- bolt gun.

Mc

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2007, 02:28:53 PM »
Hi Quick:

You are right on with your idea. Instead of tending to put the latch pin in bending your idea would eliminate the bending moments and put the pin in a state of what is called pure shear. Very much stiffer situation and stronger too.  The front could benefit too from your idea. Larger diameter pins combined with your idea would significantly improve the design. I hope NEF is tuned in to this thread as some 'intawestin' stuff is coming out.

I don't know what is really involved with the barrel fitting that Mac is referring to but both my Handi's started out reacting out the latch force way off center. I have been patiently stoning small bits of metal off to try and get it in the center.

Mc

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2007, 02:41:19 PM »
Well, there's no doubt that a lot of H&R guns come out of production with less than perfect fit, but at least they're working to try and correct some of those issues, the view port on 2006 and later frames is a good example of that effort. Maybe with continued minor improvements, there will be less warranty returns and more happy Handiholcs!! ;D

Tim

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2007, 03:54:16 PM »
I would think that if the barrel lug were really the weakest part of the rifle then there would be no need for a SB2 receiver that is stronger than a SB1.  If the barrel lug will fail first on a SB1 frame then it will still fail first on a SB2.  The barrel lugs are the same on both the SB1 and SB2, so that cannot be the weakest part.  There must be a weaker part of the rifle, my vote goes to the breach face.  A few months back someone posted a picture where the breach face had failed around the fireing pin, I think it was even on a SB2 frame.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2007, 04:36:35 PM »
Quote.

I have no problems with the Handi since I use it for cartridges and loads that are appropriate for it.

It is really that simple. When I loaded for the 25-06 Handi I proved to myselve
that that any load that went beyond 257Roberts parameters proved poor and any powder faster than H1000 was also poor. It came down to about 54kpsi
that the rifle performed resonable well.

Hence I build a 257 Roberts and a  6x47 both exelent performer without stretching the envelope too much.

The latch supported by the latch pin will only receive very litte pressure,
which consists only of uplift as the angle of suport is only about 35 deg.

Actually during peak pressure the action is stressed a milisecond or so
because of elongation which of course is within the elastic limit  of the steel.
Yes it is important that the latch bears fully  accross the shelve.

It is also imprtant that the face of the barrel has full contact with the standing breech. This takes some fine fitting. The fitting should take into account that the hinge pin is parrallel with the face of the barrel/standing breech, or the barrel will kick off the loose side..

The barrel in the action should be restrained so it stays in the parallel
condition.

When you remove the barrel and look at the hinge pin you will notice two
shiny spots one on each side and that is where the trouble is. These two
spots is all there is to restrain the barrel during max pressure. This is where the setback comes in creating an unwanted gap. The center of the hinge pin seat
should be filled in for better support with a whole lot less set back of the underlug.

The hoter the load the sooner a gap will appear. What I am saying is nothing new since I talked about  all along. Slow powder with reasonable loads at
54kpsi or less and your handi will love it.

Some time ago someone fed a 7.62x39 into a 243 this sized the barrel solid the
only thing that failed was the underlug was greatly upset, no failure on the
standing breech. The gun stayed locked up and did not open with that much pressure and only held closed by a small compression spring because of minimal uplift pressure.

I think I am beating a dead horse.

Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2007, 03:15:31 AM »
The horse is not dead but it is baddly wounded I think!

Mc

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2007, 07:12:48 AM »
Mac,
Heres is a link to the FEA of the Bat Machine action. It is a very strong bolt gun. The analysis shows a total deflection of the bolt and receiver added together at .004.  This is an action that most folks would think has zero deflection. FEA of the Handi would show much more deflection since the components under load are longer.

Varmint Al's action analysis
http://www.varmintal.com/abat85.htm

This is a link to Bat Machines action specifications.
http://www.batmachine.com/products/products.htm

EDG

Ok...thanks for the link...but...if this is in reference to the ruger...it still isn't doing a casted bolt...which is why I referenced it in the first place...On top of that...it is in a configuration the Handi will never utilize...and discussing a ruptured case for the worse case scenario
The Nominal condition is for a 60,000 psi pressure (hot load) and an intact cartridge case with an internal diameter of 0.540". The second calculation assumes the worst case of a ruptured cartridge case head (but still contained within the chamber) with 60,000 psi pressure over the full diameter of the 0.630" case head. The high strain rate that occurs when a cartridge is fired was not considered.

Interesting...never the less though...and again...thanks for the link...

Mac

Offline Ireload2

• Contributor
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2007, 07:39:48 AM »
>>>it still isn't doing a casted bolt.<<<
As I recall the Rugers use investment cast 4140.  if the elastic limit (does not permanently deform) of the material is not reached it makes no difference if the material is cast or not. The modulus of elasticity (Young's Modulus) is does not vary a lot with different steels. There fore the amount of spring for a given design does not change much with the steel type until you overload it enough to permanently deform it. Higher tensile strength steel take more force  to to permanently deform but until the deformation takes place it still has about the same elasticity.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2007, 09:05:38 AM »

Well...you can look at the diagrams and see what is deforming with the ruptured case...as compared to the standard load...he states...
This very small amount of yielding at the corners of the bolt lugs is not a serious problem and will not change the bolt's position for subsequent firings at or below the same pressure.
So...if it isn't going to change the bolts position......what is it your trying to say here in the comparison...? Like I said...I am not a metallurgists...but for any comparison between the Handi & this 4140 BAT action...there really can't be one...and comparing to dissimilar metals as in the Ruger & Bat action  it will give different results......but...to me this is like comparing apples & grapes...Again...it is an interesting read...and thanks for the link...

Now...if he would do a similar testing with the Handi action..one would see immediately where it will compress on the receiver's face...and if he did an exploded view of the stresses being exhorted on the barrel catch and linkage,spring and shelf & hinge area...then anyone doubting what the company has said to me...and what I have been saying all along would be put to rest I think...The only 2 things that aren't capable of moving are the shelf and hinge pin area...these can compress if put under enough dynamic load...any of the movable parts of a Handi that are being factored in this can move...they are not static...they move and are held by friction & spring tension...and the material isn't as hard as the frame..so...on firing they do...

Mac

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2007, 09:28:46 AM »
Some folks seem to be getting stiffness, Modulus of Elasticty, yield strength and hardness and such mixed up.

Hardness is usually measured by some kind of penetration test. Brinell hardness uses a very hard spherical shaped endentor to measure the area of penetration or depth of penetration(can't remember which). Brinell hardness is proportional to the ulimate strength of steels. Ultimate strength in psi is the highest load a tensile specimen can hold before the material starts to 'neck' and fail. We rarely design near this number. The endurance limit of the material in psi is also proportional to the the Brinell hardness number and it provides a good basis for design for high cycle fatigue. Stay below the endurance limit and the fatigue life is indefinite(infinite). These are all material properties

The Modulus of Elasticity(Young's Modulus, E in psi) is also a material property and measures how 'stretchy' a material is below it's yield strength. Yield strength is the point at which plastic deformations start in a tensile test specimen. It too is a material property.

Stiffness is what it sounds like------- but it takes into account how much of a cross section is being loaded. Bigger cross sections are naturally stiffer-- stiffness is not a material property but double the E value and you get twice the stiffness. Double the cross section and you get twice the stiffness. Flexibility is the inverse of stiffness. If the stiffnes is 3 lb/in the flexibilty is 1/3 in/lb.

Fun stuff eh.

Mc

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2007, 09:48:36 AM »

OK..according to what your saying here then...
Stiffness is what it sounds like------- but it takes into account how much of a cross section is being loaded.
...since the frame would have a larger over all surface...and to croos section the frame to show what the load is at the breech face junction and the front section that the barrel is above...so...the most like scenario is the smaller parts are being effected easier...since they are the parts that are having the larger amount of force being applied..that and the surface directly behind the case... ..ehh..;)

Mac

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2007, 10:17:11 AM »
All the parts experience the same load but the load is distributed into the action according to the laws of statics(in this case equivalent static) but yes the frame has the largest cross section with the same E value so it is stiffer as has been implied if not explicitly expressed  in previous posts by myself and others.

Mc

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2007, 11:30:33 AM »

The problem for many has been how much the static load has been distributed to the parts that have free compression and movement to begin with inside the Handi......and being able to actually measure this because of a partial pop open on the receiver as what has been suggested doing.........Comparing the stresses exhorted on a bolt guns parts are fine when discussing them...but not to a Handi...They aren't built the same...each will have different results with any testing done...Also..without adding to the fact of how the gun is being fired...in this case a Lead Sled...where this changes the stresses on those moving parts change dramatically...has to be taken into any calculations as well...

To figure out what is causing the partial pop open...ALL things must be considered...and just not say the Handi rifle frame is stretching enough to allow this pop open to happen in the first place...It's not as simple as saying the frame stretches there fore it is weak...Shooting them under normal operating perimeters is a lot different than stopping the natural rearward movement of the rifle when shoulder fired...unless you have stopped the bodies natural rearward movement by bracing your back fully against an immovable object..

Mac

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2007, 11:36:37 AM »
To clarify the issue concerning the lead sled,  all shooting that I've done when I experienced the barrel to frame gap was with the 300WSM and 280 Improved, shooting on the Premier rest with just my poor shoulder behind the rifle.  :o ;)

Tim