Author Topic: More info on the 7mm08 chamber question  (Read 303 times)

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
More info on the 7mm08 chamber question
« on: September 24, 2007, 11:04:09 AM »
I shot some today when i came home i was looking at the brass i inserted a shot case in the barrel and started turning it i could see it move up and down it would move from about .146 to about .156 if i recall right. is this the sign of a chamber problem? I have gotten it to shoot well under an inch but you know how it is closer the better. Any help? This is my first time reloading for cases other than straight wall (44 357) and such.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: More info on the 7mm08 chamber question
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 11:08:54 AM »
See what move up and down? If you're referring to the firing pin strike on the primer, off center strikes are common in a lot of rifles, as long as you're getting good accuracy, "well under an inch", if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline RugerNo3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: More info on the 7mm08 chamber question
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 03:43:56 PM »
If quick's answer don't cover it, you may be looking at the rim running out. This means your chamber is.005" oversize and the loaded cartridge is laying in the bottom of the chamber loaded mode. This will cause a bulge on the upper side of the fired case. Many firearms have this quirk and nothing to worry about. Still minute of whitetail. Bench rest shooters may scribe their chamber face and cartridge rim to load the NECKSIZED case to the same point constantly. Called indexing the round, but a real waste of time in a single shot Handi.
"Use a big enough gun!"