Author Topic: want to start swaging  (Read 776 times)

Offline cal44walker

• Trade Count: (0)
want to start swaging
« on: June 11, 2003, 07:55:36 AM »
hey swagers,

I have been thinking about swaging on and off for a long time now and have decided to take the plunge. I am a total lead shooter and my main use from swaging will be to get even better bullets than I can cast. My main use will be for a .457 cal grooved lead bullet of around 450+ grains plus in my 45-70 Sharps. I have been doing a lot of reading and it seems to me that a Corbins S-press with a core swager and a point forming S-dies would do the job. I use a WW/pure lead mix of 70/30 which gives a BHN of around 7-8 and the length of that bullet is approximatley 1.25 inches so it seems that its within the capabilities of the S press and S dies. I also plan to use it for 45 acp, 44/40 and 9mm lead slugs. If any of you guys have some opinions about this setup I'd love to hear them all. I also looked at the H-dies and the bigger press but the price is way out of my wallet and they wiegh alot more. Thats something I have to consider as I have to get it all shipped over the Atlantic to Denmark. Anyway it'll be great to hear what advice you guys have.

Matt

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
want to start swaging
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2003, 04:29:30 PM »
If you are just getting into swaging and don't have the backing of a national bank, look into the Walnut Hill press and swaging components of Richard Corbin (www.rceco.com).  That system approaches the 'H' series manual press and large dies of the (Dave) Corbin Co. These two fellows are brothers running their own seperate companies. As you will will be working with BHN 7-8 lead, the larger caliber bullets, longer bullets, and all lead bullets, I belive the larger dies are a must... and since you will find you'll be using 5 or 7 different punches with each of your lead-bullet-only dies, paying 50% of what a Corbin Co 'S' die punch costs is something to really consider. Also, both companies will take 5-12 months (or more) to fill your order, and both will work with you to make sure they make all the dies/punches to make the items you want to make. That's the best way to order swaging tooling: tell the maker what you want to do and he'll tell you what you need.  Also, both companies are very experienced working with overseas customers. I do not know of any other bullet swage die maker that can give you what you've outlined. 8)

Offline Lead pot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
want to start swaging
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2003, 01:01:49 PM »
Cal,  I swage 1/30 lead-tin in my RCE tool with good results and no problems.Lp
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.