Author Topic: Do you shoot at running deer ?  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Mnswede

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Do you shoot at running deer ?
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2007, 05:36:33 AM »
I have only shot at a running deer twice that ran across the trail about 50 yds from me.  Normally I am in a stand before daylight and get out of the stand to retrieve a deer or out of the stand at first twilight.  I won't shoot at a running deer from the stand since it's a long shot or because the swamp brush interferes with a well placed shot and I don't want to lose a wounded deer.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2007, 05:39:03 AM »
My deer season is over for 2007 and I shot a running deer.  One shot, One deer. If I had passed up the opportunity the freezer would be empty.

Now it is time to start reloading and practicing for the 2008 season.  My focus will be practicing off hand and setting in the dirt shooting.  I believe my pre-2007 practice paid off. 
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2007, 08:03:00 AM »

Nice looking deer..great photo...Ironglow
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline giturgun

• Avid Poster
  • Me land yacht
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2007, 02:55:52 PM »
Last year the shot killed instant, right through the top of the shoulder neck junction. Bullet lodged just under the hide behind the left front leg in the chest. Deer did a flip into the creek . Was shot from about 90 to 95 yds away , With my Ruger 77 30-06. Tree stand is almost 40 feet up and with the slope it is probably 65 t0 70 feet higher than the creek bank.  Deer are just not as much fun to shoot , to much work, don't have to carry GH out of the field.

Besides if it don't have bones on it's head I don't shoot it. That's just the way I am. And I am to old to change now. Back in the 70's I was young and couldn't wait to go , now it is still something I do every year . But it is just not the same I can't explaine it except it's my nickle I spend it as I choose.

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2007, 06:40:23 AM »
No i dont shoot at runnig deer never have never will where i hunt there is a lott of open feilds so the ones i have shot have all been standing and not knowing any one was around and just drop on the shot or run a few yards and fall over if a person has shoot at a running deer alott of time the reson they are running they have been spooked and a spooked deer is harder to kill than 1 thats not scared
1 shot 1 kill

Offline smokepolehall

• Avid Poster
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2007, 07:14:20 AM »
No i don't, where i live too many houses and other hunters. There will be another come by that will be a better and safer shot.
Keep yer nose into the wind & slip from tree to tree in the shadows, you have come fer pilgrim! Miss Vixen & Miss Phoenix, I am The Vixenmaster!

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2007, 01:02:46 PM »
I'm starting to think that is the only way i can hit them!!!!!!!

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2007, 01:21:19 PM »
Thirty five yards with a 54 flintlock.  That deer was upended and dead before the smoke cleared.  If it was 75 yards then def. not.  Everyone should have enough practice to now there limits.  I new I was within mine.  He broke out of the woods into a clearing I was driving.  I knew where everyone else was and waited for the safest cleanest shot.  And I'm sure glad I did.  It was last day of deer season in my parts and the freezer was empty. :)

JerryKo
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi