Author Topic: Oh my,... look what's hit the news now  (Read 2720 times)

Offline Fazak

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Oh my,... look what's hit the news now
« on: September 26, 2007, 04:47:17 AM »
Talk about old Fred Thompson having egg in his face!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,296882,00.html?sPage=fnc.foxfan/blogs

The New York Times reported this week that in 1992, Thompson’s old law firm actually advised the lawyer for the Libyan terrorists who were charged with planting the bomb on Pan Am flight 103, which blew up over Lockerbie, Scotland. The firm was paid over $800,000 — that’s a lot of lawyering. The Libyans billed the firm for several hours for conferring with the lead attorney on the case. According to the firm’s lawyers, Thompson advised them on “jurisdictional” issues.

Translation: how to keep the terrorists from being extradited to stand trial.

Offline SHOOTALL

Re: Oh my,... look what's hit the news now
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 05:36:00 AM »
So was he not to take the job that he is in business to do or was he to do it less than good ?
what is your point ? you want a president that has a record of doing a half a@@ job ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 06:20:04 AM »
People who think you can judge the character of a lawyer by the people his firm represent are either misinformed, willfully ignorant, or have an agenda...  (I wonder which one applies here?)

Offline Fazak

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 06:23:25 AM »
Yep!,.. been looking around a bit and word is definitely out.

If Fred Thompson gets the nomination, the Democrats will have a field day with this issue,... probably be best at this point if the GOP leadership asked him to withdraw his candidacy.

http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsStory.aspx?storyid=23382&ret=Default.aspx

There might be trouble brewing for Fred Thompson. He was recently linked to work for Libyans in involvement with the crash of Pan Am Flight 103. Right after the plane blew up over Lockerbie, Scotland, Fred Thompson gave one of his colleagues some advice about some of that law firm’s new clients. These clients turned out to be the two Libyan intelligence officials who were charged in the terrorist bombings.

John Culver is a partner at the Washington Firm of Arent Fox Kintner Plotkin & Kahn, and he began to advise the lawyer of these two suspects in February of 1992. Fred Thompson had discussions with Culver about Libya during that same month. During that same time frame, Libya was facing major outrage around the world because it failed to allow the United Nations to extradite the two suspects. When it came out that there were American firms representing them and their lawyers, the families of Pan Am victims and other people were even angrier.

Thompson’s involvement had not been made public until just recently. Whether or not this is going to have an effect on his run for president has yet to be seen. However, there is bound to at least be some question of an explanation for his actions, and there are probably going to be some Republicans and Democrats alike who hope that they can understand why he was involved in all of this. It might indeed be a bumpy road ahead for Fred Thompson.

Offline Fazak

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 06:26:48 AM »
The NYT has it too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/09/us/politics/09thompson.html

Thompson Linked to Work for Libyans

At the time, Libya was facing international outrage for refusing to comply with a United Nations demand that the two suspects be extradited to the West for trial in the 1988 bombing, which killed 270 people. Revelations that American firms were representing Libyan interests provoked a furor among the Pan Am victims’ families. Some law firms refused to represent the country or the suspects, while others withdrew.

The involvement of Mr. Thompson, who worked part-time for Arent Fox as a lawyer and lobbyist from 1991 until shortly before his election to the Senate in 1994, never became public. But Arent Fox’s chairman, Marc L. Fleischaker, confirmed that Mr. Thompson, who is now seeking the Republican presidential nomination, briefly provided Mr. Culver with advice about the suspects’ case, billing the firm for 3.3 hours of his time.

The firm was hired to provide guidance on the tense questions surrounding where the two men should be tried, Mr. Fleischaker said, and Mr. Thompson’s background as a former prosecutor, as well as his government relations experience — he had close ties to senior officials in the first Bush administration — “gave him insight on jurisdictional issues such as that.”

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 07:55:45 AM »
Give me a break!  The guy was an attorney working for a law firm.  They don't pick their clients, they work for who ever pays the retainer.  Wheather the client is guilty or not is not their business, their job is damage control.  Get the client off with as little as possiable.  He just had a job to do and he did it.  If they had not have taken it someone else would have. 

To me this shows he is a good attorney, and his openions are highly sought.

I like his stand on gun control, and the borders.  He's still got my vote.  He is the only viable candidate the Republicains have against Hillery.  Guallioni and Romney are democrates in Republician clothing.  And no one else is even in the running.  Romney is losing ground fast.

Fred Thompson impressed the govenor of Tennessee enough to be appointed to fill Al Gores vacated seat to the US Senate in 92.  Then in 94 he must have impressed the people of Tennessee, he was elected by the people to continue doing a good job for them.  Tennessee is a heavily Democratic state, and for them to elect him he must be doing things right.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 08:04:59 AM »
I must say when i read this garbage first i wonder if the author has an Axe to grind or is he a democrat trying to disrupt the other side or just what he is trying to pull .
A true republican would want the party to have the best man for the job not his favorite , and would not go to so low a tactic !
anyway Newt is coming !

Offline Fazak

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 08:06:31 AM »
Give me a break!  The guy was an attorney working for a law firm.  They don't pick their clients,

From what I've read about the incident so far, many attorneys refused to take the case. There's some very nasty press being generated over Thompson's representation of the Libyans. There's gonna be a stink about this,... count on it.

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ZmU4MTQ2YTM1MWZlZDM1Y2I0MTk3NzJiMGNkMTZlYmM=

"Fred Thompson, Terrorist Lawyer"

Several prominent lobbyists, including Tommy Boggs, turned down overtures to work for Libya on the case, despite offers of a reported $1.5 million retainer. Vicki Reggie Kennedy, wife of Ted, actually resigned a partnership in her law firm over its decision to represent Libya, even though—as far as I can tell—she was never asked to do any work on the case.

But not good ol' Fred. . . .

In a political era in which the cost of a man's haircut can be treated as though it were a window into his soul, you'd think people would be a little more curious what it says about Fred Thompson that he'd do work—even just 3.3 hours of it—for indicted terrorists.

Offline Fazak

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 08:07:51 AM »
I must say when i read this garbage first i wonder if the author has an Axe to grind or is he a democrat trying to disrupt the other side or just what he is trying to pull .
A true republican would want the party to have the best man for the job not his favorite , and would not go to so low a tactic !
anyway Newt is coming !

Just passing along the word.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 08:13:39 AM »
i would spend the negative time on the democrats !

Offline Fazak

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 08:18:54 AM »
i would spend the negative time on the democrats !

Democrats are Democrats,...we all know about them.

It's important that the GOP nominate a candidate that can win.

Fred Thompson's lobbying history will get him eaten up if he's nominated. His known history was bad enough,.. but in today's climate to have a candidate who has provided legal representation to terrorists is a definite loser.

Fred's just not the guy who can do it,... too many skeletons in his closet,.. and this is a BIG one.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 08:20:47 AM »
don't get excited NEWT is coming to save the day !

Offline Fazak

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 08:26:55 AM »
don't get excited NEWT is coming to save the day !

This makes sense to me.

http://demidog.blogspot.com/2007/09/truly-serious-campaign-is-being-built.html

According to Iowa Politics dot com, Ron Paul's new Campaign manager in Iowa is Drew Ivers, who ran Pat Buchanan's Presidential campaign there in 1996 and 2000.

“The other Republican candidates are good men," said Dr. Ivers, "but when it comes to a record of fidelity to the Constitutional principles of “Limited Government”, they are still all students compared to Ron Paul. And with 65-70 percent of Americans polled now opposing the War in Iraq, if the Republicans nominate a pro-war Republican they may just as well hand the White House over to Hillary Clinton."
“I relish the thought of a series of national debates between Mrs. Clinton and Dr. Paul and will be pouring my energy into helping Iowa Republicans see the power of his nomination,” continued Ivers.

This is now a meme. Ron Paul vs Clinton. Get used to it. That's what is going to happen. No other GOP challenger has a shot against Hillary. This campaign is not about some Quixotic attempt to spread a message. It's about winning the Presidency (but first the GOP nomination).

Things are happening. Very good things. The fundraising in the past week has been stunning. The support he's been getting, even on the west coast was better than imagined. Freedom is popular and the timing couldn't be more perfect. At no point in my lifetime has the danger of the United States slipping into a totalitarian nightmare been more apparent. At no time have our young people been asked to carry such a load. Social Security, a trillion in borrowed money to finance an illegal war, a burgeoning police state, a corporate private army (Blackwater) building bases in the US and committing atrocities abroad, the Patriot Act and the threat of a Democratic candidate who will raise taxes, impose upon us a draconian health care plan that would have made Mussolini proud all the while continuing US intervention abroad. On top of this, a sinking dollar and an unconstitutional Federal Reserve that consistently inflates the dollar to prop up an economy ruined by a bloated Federal government.

One man steps up and says, "Maybe, just maybe, there is a better way for us to handle our problems. Maybe we should try adhering to the Constitution and respecting the liberties of humans everywhere."

That dog will hunt.

Especially this part:

And with 65-70 percent of Americans polled now opposing the War in Iraq, if the Republicans nominate a pro-war Republican they may just as well hand the White House over to Hillary Clinton."

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 08:40:38 AM »
i agree most hate the way the war is going , but they want to be secure also . I think that in the finial analysis  a much different picture than what is predicted today will surface !
we are a country of fixers we seem to go from one thing to another either fixing it or forgetting it and a year is a long time for us to dwell on anything .
, both Reagan and B Clinton understood this and came in late and won on their first tries ! Food for thought !

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 08:47:00 AM »
Fazak:  Why do I get the feeling your a Democrate?  As for Ron Paul, he's got Pat Buchannan's campaign manager?  That's good he's in the same boat Pat B was in.  He's a loser before he even got started.

Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Fazak

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 08:56:46 AM »
Fazak:  Why do I get the feeling your a Democrate? 

I don't know.

But I suspect it has something in common with the fact that you can't spell it.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 08:59:23 AM »
LOL

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 09:05:30 AM »
Ok now I have not had a chance to verify this story yet but I will be researching it to see if it is true or holds some truth about it.

But one thing that really disturbs me is the fact that some people look at this as “oh it was his job” well that is no excuse if this is true.

If it comes to light that Fred himself aided any terrorist in any way legal advice or otherwise is totally inexcusable. What would be the difference if my company sold computers to them and they used the computers to help carry out an attack?  NONE…

If a man puts the dollar in a higher regard than morals and principals then that man has no business in a position of power for power corrupts and if one already has a disposition to put money and power ahead of civic duty then to place that person in power would be idiocy.

But again I am not saying Fred was a party to this but I will be checking into it as should anyone else who plans on voting 2008.

Matt
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline Fazak

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 09:10:13 AM »

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2007, 09:13:17 AM »
hey maybe it will give him insight in to how to handle the middle east , maybe he has friends there now !

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2007, 09:17:26 AM »
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2007, 09:22:42 AM »
Fred Thompson is the only viable Republican candidate out there that has a chance of beating Hitlery.  When he announced his candidacy on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, he outlined in detail why we are in Iraq and why it is necessary for the job to be completed.  I believe a lot of people do want the troops to come home immediately, regardless of the consequences.  However, I don't believe the polls as to the percentage of Americans who desire this.  Most polls are done in urban areas and traditionally these are predominantly Demonrat politically.  Also, the media is more liberal and take delight in literary licentiousness.  Not at all like Paul Harvey, "now for the rest of the story".  The Republicans need to address the scandals Hitlery has been involved in like Travelgate, Whitewater, and Filegate,   If Fred Thompson's name is besmeared by his association with his law firm, then so can Hitlery's name be besmeared with her association with the Rose Law Firm and Whitewater scandal, and Treuhaft, Walker and Burnstein law firm; a firm known for its support of the Communist Party and its sympathizers.  Let's look at the facts.  Fred Thompson was involved as Chief Minority Counsel in the Watergate investigations of his own party and President Nixon.  Fred's stand on firearms is well documented.  Has Hitlery done as much ehtically?
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2007, 09:54:12 AM »
I guess I don't really believe the Republicans have a candidate who can win. I think all who otherwise could or who might at least on the surface be a decent choice have too many skeletons to win in the Republican party. But on the other hand that doesn't seem to hurt democraps and I think at times even helps them in the eyes of those who would vote democrap anyway. Those kinda folks seem to expect such from their candidates.

In the end tho whoever wins will do so more because of the big money folks and will be under their control anyway so being the pessimist I am I guess I no longer think it actually matters. Regardless of who wins in the end we'll be screwed and big money will still have someone they control.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2007, 09:56:15 AM »
Deltecs you beat me to the punch good post. As noted with hildibeast I would bet any Politician that is a lawyer has these issues in their past. It is part of the job wether folks think it is ethical or not. I would bet you can pick any politician that was or is a lawyer and find this kind of info of some sort. For the Record Fazak links about hildibeast's  past as a lawyer has been circulating around before she ever started her campaign and it has not hurt her a bit.  You can try to smear Fred all you want it is still not going to help your boy Ron Paul he is not going anywhere.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Fazak

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2007, 10:00:46 AM »
 You can try to smear Fred all you want

Fred smeared himself.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2007, 10:02:37 AM »
GB I could be wrong but I doubt Fred T is going to attract the big money crowd they are already spending their money on Rudy. I think Fred thinks he can win the old fashioned way with out the large war chest as that is why he started late compared to the rest I think he thinks he does not need it and he can campaign the old fashioned way. That may work for him and may not I guess we will have to wait and see. As far as Skeletons go this day and age information on folks past is a open book not like it was in the past when even if the press did know something they kept it quiet like JFK's womanizing.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2007, 10:06:59 AM »

Fred smeared himself.

No you just think he did, if the same story came out about Ron Paul you would be doing damage control so fast your keyboard would be smoking and we would all have to sort through tons of drivel.

The guy is a lawyer that is what they do. If a lawyer or law firm got the reputation of picking and chosing cases on who you were or if you were guilty or not they would not be in business very long.

Offline Fazak

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2007, 10:23:21 AM »

Fred smeared himself.

law firm got the reputation of picking and chosing cases on who you were or if you were guilty or not they would not be in business very long.

Law firms pick and choose their clients all the time.

In fact,.. quite a few law firms turned down the Libyan terrorists,....

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2007, 10:26:45 AM »
As of yet, I can't find any info that the colleague in question actually represented the terrorists as opposed to representing their lawyer, who was Libyan.  Short of Matt getting anything really good on this, I have suspicions that the effort was to allow the foreign attorney privileges to defend his clients.  Perhaps that was what the 3.3 hours was about.

Look forward to any results you get Matt.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2007, 10:38:32 AM »

Fred smeared himself.

law firm got the reputation of picking and chosing cases on who you were or if you were guilty or not they would not be in business very long.

Law firms pick and choose their clients all the time.

In fact,.. quite a few law firms turned down the Libyan terrorists,....

Only if it is going to make them a lot of money or get them a HIGH PROFILE case. No good lawyer is going to turn down a large money case or a high profile one.