Author Topic: Haven't bought any supplies in 3 months..prices have raised!  (Read 691 times)

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Haven't bought any supplies in 3 months..prices have raised!
« on: September 26, 2007, 07:12:08 AM »
Been pretty busy the last three months and I haven't had much time..or money.. to buy much reloading supplies. I go back to my shopping list on Midway and I had a couple packs of Remington 130gr 270 bullets in my shopping cart that were $12.99 a pack, now they are $15.29 a pack! However hunting season is around the corner so that might be a contributing factor, but still I don't remember the "cheap Core-Loks" that high.
I remember Mac talking about a raise in prices soon. But that was abrupt. It's no so bad things go up but only that they will never go back down that urks me :-\
Oh well, I guess I will have to be a little more conservative with my reloading supplies  :'(

-Aaron

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Haven't bought any supplies in 3 months..prices have raised!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 07:18:41 AM »
I see $21 at Midway, there was a big price hike everywhere on Sept 1. :'(

Tim

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=180268&t=11082005
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline myarmor

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 07:23:43 AM »
Nah  I meant just the reloading bullets:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=796102&t=11082005

I hardly every buy factory anymore. Other than the Federal Fusions and Power-Shocks. Most my rifles love them.

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 07:39:18 AM »
our local store has # 8 shot for $49.95 per 25LB bag ! the cost of doves is getting out sight !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 07:40:27 AM »
Oops!! :-[ Unfortunately, they went up too. :-\ I've been taking advantage of Hornady's "free" for $4.95 bullets as often as I can, buy their products and you get really cheap bullets, I've bought several of the die sets and get a box of bullets for $5.36(postage to mail it!) for each one. ;)

Shot at Sportsmans Warehouse is $37 a bag, I thought that was bad, last time I bought a bag, it was $18, been a while tho.

Tim

http://hornady.com/get_loaded.php

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 07:47:59 AM »
the guy at the store said they had a crew that changes prices every week on ammo and reloading components , guess Peta and HG control can sit back and watch the economy do their work for them ! %@#&^$#@*!*&)$%

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 08:41:04 AM »
Heard something about Japan buying up all the copper and such.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 08:56:26 AM »
they say the cost of copper is part of it , the closing of federal ammo plants by B Clinton was part of it , only one lead mine open in The USA and they shoot a billion rounds a year in the Gulf war . This is nothing new , ammo was hard to get in WW2 , and i was selling scrap copper for 5 dollars a pound when Viet Nam was in full swing . At least that's what rumor says !

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 10:57:11 AM »
Dealers are paying more than $37 a bag now Tim. There sure are a lot more .410s and 28s coming out to the skeet range lately. Last month I shot the 28 all month and this month I'm shooting the .410 all month. Not nearly so many 12 gauge guns being shot and those that are for the most part are with handloaded 7/8 shot loads.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline myarmor

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 11:36:25 AM »
Well I do know that copper is fetching a good price at the recycle bins. It's hard to tell how much lead and copper, not to mention brass is fired up every day with the war and all.
 Makes ya wonder doesn't it?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 11:43:45 AM »
Dealers are paying more than $37 a bag now Tim. There sure are a lot more .410s and 28s coming out to the skeet range lately. Last month I shot the 28 all month and this month I'm shooting the .410 all month. Not nearly so many 12 gauge guns being shot and those that are for the most part are with handloaded 7/8 shot loads.

That was week a or two ago that I noticed the price, I was lookin to see how much it would cost for 4 bags for the Lead Sled, but the lead was almost as expensive as the shooting rest then, probably more now!!! :(

Shootin those smaller bores is akin to driving an economy car, I reckon!! :D

Tim

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 05:50:39 AM »
I needed to load for both my 338 and 270 I had a budget in mind and I was using interbonds to keep the cost down. Imagine the sticker shock when I get a bill for $120 instead of $80(last years catalog), and that was only for 1 box for each.  I have started hording components.
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 06:22:02 AM »
Another problem with the "global economy".  China and India's economies are growing double digit every year for several years now.  They need lots of copper and lead for their wiring etc, in new construction of homes and factories.  Our own economy has been growing at 3% a year during the same time.  The US and Canada have about 80% of the world's copper reserves.  So unless they figure out a way to make cartridges in some other metal that can be reloaded, the prices are going to continue going up. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 02:41:02 AM »
maybe gold or silver , might be cheaper lately

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2007, 02:33:29 AM »
Copper prices have went up so much, we have had a real problem with copper thieves around here. I was talking to a guy that owns a air conditioning business. He said he had old coils stored out back and some one broke in and stole them to get the copper tubing out of them. Houses are being broken into to and they tear out any copper plumbing they can lay their grubby hands on. Theft arrest for copper is way up here. I remember back in the early 70's that copper prices were way up and there was the same problem. I am not sure if the war in the middle East is to blame or the Chinese, supply or all of the above. Back in the 70's when copper shot up so high, they talked about doing away with pennies, because the copper in them was worth more than a cent. Then prices dropped and they dropped talk of doing away with the pennies, but here we go again. But copper and lead are not the only things going up. Powder went from about $20- $22 a pound up to $25+ a pound in a matter of weeks. There is no copper or lead in powder to amount to any thing. This suggests to me that the war effort has a big influence on supply. Tried to buy primers lately, hard to get aren't they. Saw an article in a magazine about swedging .224 bullets out of 22 cases. They said to use premium 22 cases shoot in a gun that use a rounded firing pin. The dies would be in the $600 range. :o They have to be kidding. Premium 22's are in the 10 cent range up to 25 cents a piece, then you have to buy the dies, do not forget you still have to buy lead to fill that case. I can still buy a lot of bullets for $600. One thing about the higher prices, there is less difference between the cheap stuff compared to the premium stuff. The cheap bullets and cases take as much copper as the good stuff so it makes the manufacturing cost smaller in comparison. The cheap bullets and cases have went up in price, but at a lot higher percent than the best bullets and cases. :(
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Wolfgang

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2007, 02:56:46 AM »
I work part time at an ammo loading and brokering bussiness.  The cost is almost to the point of the owner filing bankruptcy.  He just ended up handing out a price quote to an agency for a 1000 rounds of 45 ACP using jacketed bullets and their brass and it was still $280.00.  I remember when I started there we would bring prjectiles in on a semi and 25,000 to 50,000 at a time and a thousand 45 bullets cost around $30.00.  That same thousand is now hovering at well over a hundred dollars.  I just ordered only 2000 .40 caliber rounds (Remanufactured) for my departments fall qualification and that cost us $380.00.

Cast bullets and Reloading is the only way to fly these days and I lucked out by having a friend who has about five tons of alloy already cast into 1 pound bars and he told me to get whatever I wanted whenever I needed it as he refuses to sell it and will never cast enough to use it up in his or probably my lifetime.

Wolfgang
"We have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve."