Author Topic: 20 gauge question  (Read 1191 times)

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
20 gauge question
« on: September 26, 2007, 01:57:41 PM »
I am thinking of sending one of my 20 gauge barrels to the gunsmith to be drilled and tapped for a scope mount. Has anyone here done this?  Is the chamber area thick enough to be safely drilled and tapped? I have been using one of my 20's just for slugs and I think it would be nice to have it scoped for deer hunting. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Spanky

Offline PA1749

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: 20 gauge question
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 03:21:43 PM »
Under the FAQ's section at the HR website, this is addressed. It says, can a shotgun be drilled and tapped for a scope? The answer is, NO. I don't know if these means that they don't provide the service or if they don't suggest it.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 03:56:49 PM »
FWIW the outer diameter of the chamber of all the shotguns with the exception of the 10ga and 12ga Ultra Slug Hunter are the same. I have a 20ga USH that has the same OD as the standard 12ga on down to the 410, it is tapped, so why wouldn't it be OK for a standard 20ga barrel with the same dimensions? The standard 12ga is too thin, unless other measures are taken in to account.

Any professional gunsmith worth his salt should be able to safely drill and tap your 20ga.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 05:21:57 PM »
I had my local smith d&t a 20 ga. barrel last spring. You might have to ask several though before one agrees, but there is enough material in that barrel to do it. Some smiths don't like to do it for a 20 ga. as policy of their own I guess. That gun will be used for turkey and deer this year.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 09:50:45 AM »
Not sure why censored word appeared in my previous post? That barrel was drilled and tapped for scope mount by SSK Industries a sponsor on GBO, JD is the owner a good guy too.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 02:26:56 PM »
Not sure why censored word appeared in my previous post? That barrel was drilled and tapped for scope mount by SSK Industries a sponsor on GBO, JD is the owner a good guy too.

Joe

I recently used an abbreviation to describe "drilled & tapped" and was censored as well.  I mentioned it to a friend who immediately identified how those two initials could provide a vulgar meaning.  I thought I heard them all, but guess not. 

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 10:19:28 AM »
Thanks...live and learn I guess!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 12:13:36 PM »

Joe

Me neither to be honest and so far I've not found a way to make any changes. Under the old phpbb system I was allowed to go in and add or delete words that were censored and the list was small and the words were really nasty ones I didn't want on here. It looked only at words not letter combinations inside of words. This new SMF sofware is WEIRD. I can find no way to look at or edit what it censors and it looks at letter groups inside words and for the most part what I see it censoring I don't have a clue why it's doing it. I really need to talk to Matt and see if he can figure out how to get to the list and see what's going on. I did NOT add most of what I'm seeing being kicked out these days.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 01:49:21 PM »
thanks Bill for the clarification and for all the work you and Matt do here to keep this site going strong!

Joe

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 03:49:52 PM »
So A 20 guage tracker II barrel can be drilled & tapped for a scope mount?  Jay
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 03:07:24 PM »
I would say yes, I think the Tracker II is thicker than the regular barrel and I had the regular one drilled and tapped.
Joe

Offline 351 power

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 04:16:28 AM »
i was thinking of having my 12 ga drilled for a peep site but it sounds like that would be a mistake? maybe a little JB weld or epoxy? any experience?
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are