Author Topic: Sole survivor: Pix of Whitworth 3-pounder breechloader and carriage  (Read 2812 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Here are pictures of a rare weapon that you don't see in any modern cannon books.  I sent pictures and complete descriptions to an author who was writing a book about artillery, many years ago, but it didn't get in, and so it remains sort of unknown today.

The first photo comes from the National Army Museum in London and has a pencilled-in caption "The Whitworth 3 Pounder Experiment, Liverpool." We think it was taken ca.  1860 because there is a well-documented test of the Whitworth 3-pounder which was conducted at Southport, England in 1860. The gun fired 1.5-inch projectiles (measured flat to flat, since projectiles were roughly hexagonal.) The range achieved was over 9000 yards. Southport is only 20 miles from Liverpool, so the caption-writer could at least conceivably have identified Southport as Liverpool.

I published this photo originally in the ARTILLERYMAN in 1986 in a letter to the editor, after George Wray of Atlanta found it in London while doing some Whitworth research.    He sent me a shapshot of the original, and I got the museum to make me this large copy the next time I was in London.

The weapon shown is pictured in drawings and described in a number of 19th C. books (Holley, Fave', etc.)  I think my article in the ARTILLERYMAN vol. 7, no. 2, Spring 1986, is the latest hard-copy documentation of it. The article contains pictures and descriptons of the only known surviving 1.5 inch Whitworth breechloader, shown in the second picture.   The mounting shown in the second picture is only a display stand.

Offline guardsgunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Sole survivor: Pix of Whitworth 3-pounder breechloader and carriage
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 01:51:12 PM »
  This gun is next/last of guns that I want to build. There is some discussion of it on the forum. Good Article. Very neat photo.

Bob.

Offline Will Bison

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 05:27:59 PM »
A few weeks ago we hosted a Civil War display in town and they had a shootable Whitworth but I never got a good look at the gun. I did see a few of the bolts it fired, cylindrical and rifled at about 1.5 inch diameter. I guessed the tube may have been from a 37mm gun.

It would be an interesting project. Have any of you seen plans/drawings for the breech?

Bill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 06:08:47 PM »
Up in Northern California a fellow named Doug Titus built a Whitworth from some old drawings.  40 mm if memory serves me right. He used a portion of the barrel to cast his slugs 

Doesn't AOP have drawings for this gun. Don't I have a set in storage some where in Maryland or Virginia?

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 06:17:47 PM »
AOP lists a "CSA 12 Pdr Breech Loading WHITWORTH Rifled Cannon".
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 08:41:23 PM »
I've got a 40mm repro Whitworth built by someone on the West coast, that I bought about 6 years ago.  I bought it mainly to get the carriage which looks just like the one in the top photo, so I could put the original tube on it.  This particular repro uses lead slugs and machined aluminum cartridge cases that are about a foot long, and have a reduced diameter powder chamber, so I think each holds something like 2 or 3 oz. of powder.  The breech was made with large tappets that freewheel for about 30 degrees like the original 12 pounder "Confederate" Whitworths you see in the old pictures.  One nice feature of the carriage is that it has a pivoted upper carriage that traverses right or left several degrees using a rack and worm operated from a handwheel on the right side of the trail.  You can see the curved metal cover for the rack and worm in the old picture, on top of the trail.   It is possible that the person who built this carriage did so based on the top photograph, which as I mentioned was first published in the US in 1986.  I wish I knew who built the carriage, but the second owner who I got it from did not have that information.

I don't have pictures of it but if anyone is interested I could take some next time I have it out rolled out of where it is stored.  It is a sizeable item, as I recall the barrel is about 6' long and weighs maybe 500 lbs.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 04:42:51 AM »
Here's another discussion on an "operator's manual" I found yesterday, for the 12-pdr. Whitworth breechloader.  As I mentioned in that posting, I've never seen that info published anywhere before.

http://n-ssa.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=10880

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 06:01:57 AM »
Many years ago when the local junior college opened; they had a class that built over a dozen 40mm Whitworth cannons. I think there are still
4 or 5 still in the area.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 08:15:13 AM »
Do you know if any of the ones they built had a traversing top carriage, like mine?  I've always wanted to know who built it, they did a great job, must have been a real craftsman.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 09:08:17 AM »
cannonmn, I'll ask around and try to find out if any of the ones they built had a traversing top carriage, like yours and will report back if I find anything.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 11:42:35 AM »
Many years ago when the local junior college opened; they had a class that built over a dozen 40mm Whitworth cannons. I think there are still
4 or 5 still in the area.

FUTURE antiques! 
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 08:31:12 AM »
Nice pics of the Whitworth, Ex 49'er! Good looking gun! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 08:13:25 PM »
Here's another!