Author Topic: Would you try to improve a good shooter??????  (Read 598 times)

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
Would you try to improve a good shooter??????
« on: September 28, 2007, 05:09:49 AM »
 ??? I've been shooting and building custom rifles for over 30 years and something I have realized is that no matter how well a rifle preforms out of the box I try to improve on that. It's like only a starting place to build from. Bedding the action fitting adjusting and tinkering are all part of the fun.Maybe that's why I love the Handi's so much. They are a low budget play ground. Question:  AM I ALONE IN THIS????? ??? ??? ??? ::)

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Re: Would you try to improve a good shooter??????
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 06:03:30 AM »
I personally haven't build any custom rifles ...yet 8) I am still young... but I have a few plans, not to mention some donor M70 and Remington 700 actions when I am ready.
 But I am pretty sure you are not alone here. I believe it's one of the main draws for budget minded shooters that strive for excellence in all areas of their shooting. If not then why so many handloaders in the world? Not to mention the following Savage has made for themselves due to being easy to tinker than most bolt action rifles. With Handis, it's a ton of fun to do it your self and see what works and what doesn't. Plus they are pretty simple to work with, makes it even funner.

-Aaron

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 08:04:32 AM »
Don't worry you are among friends here.

I think most handi-holics have this mindset.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 08:15:31 AM »
Works for me!! ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bearbeater

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 09:16:44 AM »

ey
I do the same but went on to build and tinker with Mil surplus stuff also restore the old military rifles great fun keep it up.
BB
Thats the ups and downs of Aviation

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 12:22:24 PM »

Depends...as too doing my own tinkering...I will play with different stocks and bedding techniques...different load combinations..different custom calibers...but...if a Handi or any hunting rifle is giving me sub-moa out of the box...it stays exactly like it is till the accuracy changes...until then...only the loads will change...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline rbergum95

• Contributor
  • Theres no luck in lead unless it's flyin'.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 01:20:03 PM »
i am no different. no matter how good it is i am always trying to make it better.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 01:48:34 PM »

Depends...as too doing my own tinkering...I will play with different stocks and bedding techniques...different load combinations..different custom calibers...but...if a Handi or any hunting rifle is giving me sub-moa out of the box...it stays exactly like it is till the accuracy changes...until then...only the loads will change...

Mac
  I have to say very good point. If it is not broke don't fix it. My 243 shoots better than great!!!!! I got to thinking what can I do to make it even shoot better. The answer is leave it alone or I will be very sorry in the end. I plan on buying some reloading equipement maybe in the next couple weeks. I think that is the only thing I will do with this rifle is play around with differnt loads. I really can't expect it to shoot much better. Just to let you guy's know I landed a basement job this past week and things are really looking up. When I say looking up I really mean looking up. My truck is caught up and they don't want to come get it now!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have even payed other behind bills and have not felt this good in some time.  Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Guy Pike

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 03:30:15 PM »
In an age where "good enough"  and mediocrity{sp?} are the norm it is refreshing to see anyone{especially kids} strive to do better. The  Colonel would be pleased that anyone would attempt to improve something.There are a few of us left. Oh yeah: I have met John Gault and he is me!
You can't beat a Cerberus!

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 03:37:34 PM »
In an age where "good enough"  and mediocrity{sp?} are the norm it is refreshing to see anyone{especially kids} strive to do better. The  Colonel would be pleased that anyone would attempt to improve something.There are a few of us left. Oh yeah: I have met John Gault and he is me!
Not sure I understand.  ::)I have met John Gault and he is me! ???
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 01:09:02 AM »
I tinker with guns. If I have one that shoots great right out of the box, I do not touch it. That is the goal to start with, make it shoot great. How ever, I have not found one that shot great right out of the box. The closest one I had was a Remington 788 in 222. It was used, and some one gave it a burnt finish. Where they actually took a torch and brunt the out side of the stock. I sanded it down refinished it and took it to the range. It shot great from the get go. I have no idea what the guy/guys did to it before me, but it shot very well when I got it. I never touched the trigger, bedding, nothing.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2007, 01:56:38 AM »
I've been around for a while and have used firearms all my life from the time I was old enough to walk and shoot and be trusted.

I've owned many rifles and have known of many others that friends and relatives owned, and we used them a lot and mainly as hunting tools.

If we couldn't shoot a squirrel in the head at 100 paces we got rid of it, no matter what caliber it was, and there was no way my brother or I, were going to allow the other to "one up" each other, when it came to shooting!

That may be a stretch, but we were pretty good at estimating yardage back then, and surely better than today!

Very seldom did we tinker with one, once we found one that would shoot!

Times change along with my eyesight, and and now I try to do what I can to make them better, but that original mind set is still there.

Once I'm satisfied that I have a shooter, it stays the way it is!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2007, 02:08:35 AM »
When it comes to hunting rifles if they will shoot MOA I leave them alone.  If they won't, I trade them off.  The Ruger Minis and M77s are the only rifles I've ever owned that wouldn't shoot MOA out of the box.

I do like to make cosmetic mods so that my rifle doesn't look like everyone elses.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2007, 02:52:46 AM »
Not sure I understand.  ::)I have met John Gault and he is me! ???

You're not alone!

I did a search on John Gault, and wish I hadn't!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2007, 03:53:23 AM »
 I fiddle........

But if I got a real good shooter out of the box (5x5 @ 100 average sub moa)  and the trigger simple stuff was good,  I would take it and leave it.  ;)

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2007, 04:08:15 AM »
I tinker with guns. If I have one that shoots great right out of the box, I do not touch it. That is the goal to start with, make it shoot great. How ever, I have not found one that shot great right out of the box. The closest one I had was a Remington 788 in 222. It was used, and some one gave it a burnt finish. Where they actually took a torch and brunt the out side of the stock. I sanded it down refinished it and took it to the range. It shot great from the get go. I have no idea what the guy/guys did to it before me, but it shot very well when I got it. I never touched the trigger, bedding, nothing.

I've had several Handi's and the best I ever got was .6"with 1. On the other hand I bought a 722 Rem. in 222 also,and it shot 1/4 to 1/2" with the first handloads I tried. Not bad for a 60's model gun even with factory loads.It went straight to the PD shoot and was one of my most accurate guns.    Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2007, 09:40:04 AM »

Striving to do better doesn't always include making un needed changes to a rifle...There are many things people can do to become better marksmen...Money has always been a big concern to many here...If they could afford better optics & rests they would become more proficient off the bench...same to reloading...there is always better equipment available to make more precise hand loads...but...trying to make a BR gun out of a handi takes a lot of money...and there are better platforms available to do this with...Many Handi's will give exceedingly good accuracy with a minimal amount of tinkering or straight from the box...so...striving to be like some one else isn't always called for...or wanted...and many are more than happy with the results they are getting for so little of an investment...If someone else believes they have to make it the absolute best as what I am interpreting your saying here...and thus have to make a considerable investment of time and money to attain this higher level...or...as you & he say... they are just mediocre then you both need to get you heads screwed on straight...because it just ain't so...People can decide how much to invest to get it to what level they want..and I am sure they don't consider themselves mediocre..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...