Author Topic: Unloading a MZ  (Read 1056 times)

Offline mgeorge

• Trade Count: (0)
Unloading a MZ
« on: September 28, 2007, 05:52:19 AM »
Okay, I'm so new into muzzle-loading that I haven't even started yet.  But I'm thinking of getting an Optima Elite with at least the MZ bbl, maybe more.  When I went to the store to look at them and looked at the "starter components" of pyrodex pellets, mz 209's, and powerbelt bullets, I realized that the cost per shot it right up there.  So, the thought of having to fire the gun every time I leave the woods isn't too appealing...

I figure I can probably remove the breech plug and get the pyrodex pellets and maybe even the bullet out and reuse them.  However, I'm guessing that is probably not an advisable thing to do or someone would have thought of that already.  But before I write that technique off and *certainly* before I try it, I thought I'd ask here...

Can one unload a muzzleloader with a breech plug by removing the plug and taking out the pyrodex pellets and the bullet?

Thanks!

Offline Paleface

Re: Unloading a MZ
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 11:40:29 AM »
Yes you can. I have done this with my Thompson Center Firestorm more than once. Just push it out with your ramrod from the muzzle.

I would suggest that before you buy a bunch of high dollar bullets, try different loads with lower cost conicals. You may be surprised at the performance. I shot for years with a 250 grain Lee real bullet (.50 cal) that grandpa casts from old lead. Cost is next to nothing and the mould is around 20 bucks. I wouldn't buy into all the hype about fancy bullets. Men been killing whitetail for hundreds of years with patched round balls. I have used the powerbelts, and I was not all that impressed. For my .54, I bought some off the shelf Hornaday 425's (conicals) and they worked wonders. Got a big buck last year. If you are new into this try loose bp also. I think it ignites better. I have tried the pellets and don't like them.

Try the cheaper things first and work your way up to more expensive stuff. Try different loads, 70, 80, 90 100 grains. See what groups the best with which bullet. It seams each rifle has a 'magic load' that shoots the best in it. It will take some time and patience to work up the right one. I never did much like sabot's I prefer a conical bullet. Lot's of choices out there.

Offline hawkenman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 02:31:31 PM »
I load my muzzleloader the morning of muzzleloading season and leave it loaded till I get a shot, or the end of the season (10 days). I like to use the T.C. pro-Hunter and Optima Elite and have never had any problem with pitting or fowling of the barrels. I'm sure our forefathers didn't unload every evening. Just make sure before you load get any oil or grease out of the barrel and breech. I accomplish this with scaulding hot water, the heat generated will dry out any moisture. Then just laod it and very lightly swab the rifling with bore butter patch. I do the same with my flintlock Hawkens. Paleface gave some good info. on breaking in your rifle. Good luck this season.

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 04:13:45 PM »
where I am it is against the law to put a loaded MZ loader in the car even if it is not primed. Usually I just shoot the rifle at a safe place, pack it into thecar and reload when I go hunting again.

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 12:24:02 PM »
yes you can. if you want a easy clean up use the triple seven powder its easy to clean up.. water and and 2 patches and a little oil... done. especially with the cva removable barrel
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 04:56:53 AM »
I never shoot mine to unload it. I always remove the breech plug. The pellets will slide out and you can remove the bullet with the ram rod.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 11:58:12 AM »
i don't know of anyone who shoots it to unload it. thats kinda stupid
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 12:16:58 PM »
"I never shoot mine to unload it. I always remove the breech plug."

Me too I don't reuse the sabot projectiles for hunting, only for practice.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 01:00:22 PM »
that should have no effect on it. i have re used them and the only things with a rifleing mark was the plastic sabot part.  and that dosen't affect it at all that i have noticed. i know it powerbelts there is no marks that is because it is a little underbore

Rick

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 01:25:17 PM »
I shoot them at paper.  I'm not comfortable hunting with the distorted sabot.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 02:50:19 PM »
hows it distorted? ok hows it shoot at paper? it shouldn't have any expansion problems at all.

Rick

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 03:05:18 PM »
When you force the plastic sabot down the barrel it's dimensions are changed by it being squeezed.  It won't shoot exactly like a new one.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 04:02:14 PM »
are you shooting just lead? i haven't noticed what your saying in hornaday sabots or powerbelts but powerbelts are underbore. the plastic will be compressed on the sabot if any and if its all lead then yes it may a little but the hornadays don't as i can tell. they have the think copper outsides and it is very hard to deform it. i have tried

Rick

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 04:11:56 PM »
The projectiles are fine.  It's the plastic sabot that's all boogered up.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 04:32:10 PM »
yeah. i know but it still should be accurate. i know you can get them cheap or you can just reuse it.

Rick

Offline alsaqr

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2007, 01:07:52 PM »
"yeah. i know but it still should be accurate."

One day at the range i picked up some fired sabots that looked in good shape, loaded 240 grain XTP bullets into them, loaded and fired them.   Accuracy was not bad at all:  About 2.5" groups at 50 yards.   With new sabots the gun was shooting a little over 1". 

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2007, 02:43:04 PM »
i have took the plastic sabot part that has already been fired put it back on and got 2inches at 100 yards with a gun that does 3/4 inch at 125 yards

Rick