Author Topic: 35 Whelen Handi  (Read 384 times)

Offline 6mm06

• Trade Count: (0)
35 Whelen Handi
« on: September 28, 2007, 10:39:49 AM »
Hi Everyone.  I'm new to the forums - my first post.  Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

I have a Handi Rifle in 223 that shoots relatively well for the type of gun that it is.  I have taken two turkey with it and just enjoy hunting with it.  I have considered purchasing a 35 Whelen barrel for it, and I'm just wondering if anyone has tried that barrel and what you think about it.

Thanks.

6mm06

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 35 Whelen Handi
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 10:56:19 AM »
Welcome aboard! Unfortunately, the 35 Whelen barrel has been discontinued due to incompatibility issues with Remington factory ammo and/or chamber spec issues, some worked fine, others didn't, so the factory no longer offers it. They may at sometime in the future offer it again, but that's uncertain. Your best bet is to find one in a complete rifle, or watch the NEF classifieds here. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cowboyup453

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (82)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 10:58:39 AM »
Welcome to GBO. If you look thru the previous pages you will find several topics discussing it. Also check out the FAQ/Help sticky at the top of the page loads of good info in there.

Offline 6mm06

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 05:05:06 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I didn't know that the barrel has been discontinued. 

Offline Daniel Laws

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 02:02:48 AM »
I have one of the barrels that I bought from a member here.  It is one of the problem children.  Frequent failures to fire using Rem factory loads, and my full length sized reloads also.  With the barrel off the frame, I found that the cartridge is recessed 0.017 in. from the end of the barrel.  Looks like the chamber is cut too deep.  I took a box of Rem. factory loads, pulled bullets, ran a 0.375 dia sizer thru the cases, and resized partially in a Whelen die.  This formed a false shoulder that seated the case head flush with the chamber.  All 20 went bang, no issues or light primer strikes.  Accuracy was not the best I've ever seen, but was acceptable.  I will reload these cases with just a kiss on the shoulder from the sizer die.  When I can get it to fire dependably, which I am sure this will accomplish, I can start work on accuracy loads.  It's a pain to go thru all this, but after the brass is fire formed to the chamber, it won't be any worse to load than any other caliber.  I love the caliber, love my handi rifles, prefer them to bolts.  Just ornery and different, I guess.